• Investor
  • Bay Area, CA
Votes |
SFH roof insurance claim - replace or repair

Jim G.
  • Investor
  • Bay Area, CA
Posted Dec 8 2022, 20:01

The SFH is located in Orlando, FL which is normally not a place to hit hurricane often. The SFH was built n 2005 that means the roof is 17 years old. When the hurricane Ian came, though it reduced the force when it reached Orlando, it still blew away a few shingles that estimated repair cost around $1k.

Under the advice of PM, I claimed the insurance. The insurance gave term of replacement. Since it only covers the cash value and if add up the deductible, I only got total $2700. My SFH is about 1800sf single floor. $2700 obvious is way short to cover the replace of the roof. So I would consider to repair.

My question:  did I violate the term of this claim if I do the "repair" not "replace"?  In the end, it is my money.  What the insurance can do to me?  Would the same insurance refuse to renew next time if I do "repair"?  I've talked to the adjuster who was handling my claim.  She seams don't care whether I do "repair" or "replacement".  However, when I called the insurance agent he said I need to go with "replacement". Otherwise the insurance company won't renew.  Would I have trouble to find another insurance if this one refuse to renew?  Frankly, I only paid the premium w/o making claim in past 10 plus year on this house.  

Loading replies...