What Insurance should I get for my fix and flip house?

What Insurance should I get for my fix and flip house?

Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 3 votes

Hi all,

Just got my first house to flip. I am wondering what kind of insurance and from where should I get for this property? There won't be any structural work involved in this flip. Please suggest. Thank you!

1Reply
342 views

Most Popular Reply

Insurance Agent · Norwalk, CT · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y

Norman,

The policy I used most often on the fix & flip situation you described is a "Renovation Builders Risk" policy.  It provides coverage for the existing structure and for the renovations, as they are incorporated.  Some policies will include Liability coverage.  If not you should get coverage sepparately.

The Coverage for the existing structure is generally written on an "Actual Cash Value" (ACV) basis.  That is calculated as the Replacement Cost (RC) (cost to rebuild today with like kind and quality) minus the depreciation.  An estimate for the ACV might be the market value minus the land value but that is just an estimate.   The renovations would be valued at the Replacement Cost of the work.

Renovation Builders Risk policies can be issued on a annual basis or 3 or 6 month terms.  Be sure to find out if the policy is cancellable for a refund if you finish early.  I try to write 12 month policies that will refund.  If that option is not available then I will look at shorter terms.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Accountant · McKinney, TX · Member since 2023 · 394 posts · 580 votes
    3y

    @Stanley J Black can help. 

  • Insurance Agent · Norwalk, CT · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Norman,

    The policy I used most often on the fix & flip situation you described is a "Renovation Builders Risk" policy.  It provides coverage for the existing structure and for the renovations, as they are incorporated.  Some policies will include Liability coverage.  If not you should get coverage sepparately.

    The Coverage for the existing structure is generally written on an "Actual Cash Value" (ACV) basis.  That is calculated as the Replacement Cost (RC) (cost to rebuild today with like kind and quality) minus the depreciation.  An estimate for the ACV might be the market value minus the land value but that is just an estimate.   The renovations would be valued at the Replacement Cost of the work.

    Renovation Builders Risk policies can be issued on a annual basis or 3 or 6 month terms.  Be sure to find out if the policy is cancellable for a refund if you finish early.  I try to write 12 month policies that will refund.  If that option is not available then I will look at shorter terms.

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    I get a rental policy with builders risk. 

  • Joseph NgaruiyaPro Member
    Member since 2020 · 1 post · 0 votes
    2y

    I'm currently looking for an insurance company to cover a high end flip ($1.6M Purch/$700k Reno) that I am in the process of purchasing. Does anyone have any companies or brokers that they may be able to recommend? The property is located in Ft. Lauderdale, FL.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.