Additional Structures Coverage

2 Replies

I am buying a rental house that has a detached garage in addition to the attached garage. 

Should I get additional structures coverage for the detached garage? And if so, how should I determine the coverage amount? 

I believe that would typically be covered by the homeowners policy automatically. At least it is on an owner-occupied policy. Im not sure about a dwelling fire policy. 

Hi Nick,

To answer that question you have to look at your own business model and tolerance for risk and self insurance.  A good package will allow you to pick and choose what coverage you want and only pay for what you select along with the limits of insurance you select.

I believe it is responsible to retain a certain level of risk yourself in order to mitigate your insurance costs, which of course are also a loss.  

So if the detached garage is substantial and it is nicely finished, you may consider insuring it.  I would go with an insured value of about $65 per square foot.  If it's a smaller and older garage, I may consider self insuring for that piece and like Rob said, many dwelling fire policies do include a limit of insurance for other structures which is a percentage of the primary dwelling coverage.  The problem with that is, you are insuring a business activity or liability, as defined by the IRS, on a personal lines policy.

Hope that helps.

Ivan

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.