Tenant Turnover for Long Distance Investor

Tenant Turnover for Long Distance Investor

Member since 2023 · 4 posts · 1 vote

Hey everyone,

I own one SFH in Corpus Christi, TX that I manage myself from California. It is a long term rental I have had for 3 years now. I continuously struggle with Tenant Turnover, for example its 4-6 weeks vacant or there is always something that goes wrong. If anyone has any advice, I am open to suggestions.

1Reply
144 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Hanover Twp, PA · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
7mo

@Isaiah Montoya, a few thoughts:

1. I think 4-6 weeks for a turnover is about normal. You need some time to prep the unit, do any repairs etc before placing a tenant. 

2. It is possible in some markets and if you are extremely hands-on to place tenants more seamlessly, but this is probably more the exception and may not be plausible when hiring a PM from a distance. 

3. If your average tenant stay is ~2 years and you budget 5% of rent for Vacancy, then 4-6 week turnover is right on the mark! You will have budgeted exactly how much you need to cover the Vacancy. Are you budgeting this money? I guess if your PM charges a tenant placement fee you might be behind for that reason. 

4. Are you keeping tenants 2 years or more on average? If you are turning over a tenant every year, THAT is something you should evaluate! Increase your average length of stay!

5. When you have a Vacancy it isn't only the lost rent that hurts, its the cost to do repairs, cleaning, refreshing the unit etc. In addition if you pay your PM a placement fee that adds to the pain. 

6. Look at your "value proposition". Do you provide all appliances including washer/dryer? Do you allow pets? Are you charging maximum rent or priced a little below market? 

Giving a tenant a better value may increase your average stay and allow you to make more money overall! 

Imagine if you lowered rent 5-10% but your average tenant stayed 4 years. Would you make MORE or LESS money than you are now?!? 

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Hanover Twp, PA · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7mo

    @Isaiah Montoya, a few thoughts:

    1. I think 4-6 weeks for a turnover is about normal. You need some time to prep the unit, do any repairs etc before placing a tenant. 

    2. It is possible in some markets and if you are extremely hands-on to place tenants more seamlessly, but this is probably more the exception and may not be plausible when hiring a PM from a distance. 

    3. If your average tenant stay is ~2 years and you budget 5% of rent for Vacancy, then 4-6 week turnover is right on the mark! You will have budgeted exactly how much you need to cover the Vacancy. Are you budgeting this money? I guess if your PM charges a tenant placement fee you might be behind for that reason. 

    4. Are you keeping tenants 2 years or more on average? If you are turning over a tenant every year, THAT is something you should evaluate! Increase your average length of stay!

    5. When you have a Vacancy it isn't only the lost rent that hurts, its the cost to do repairs, cleaning, refreshing the unit etc. In addition if you pay your PM a placement fee that adds to the pain. 

    6. Look at your "value proposition". Do you provide all appliances including washer/dryer? Do you allow pets? Are you charging maximum rent or priced a little below market? 

    Giving a tenant a better value may increase your average stay and allow you to make more money overall! 

    Imagine if you lowered rent 5-10% but your average tenant stayed 4 years. Would you make MORE or LESS money than you are now?!? 

    • Member since 2023 · 4 posts · 1 vote
      7mo
      Quote from @Kevin Sobilo:

      @Isaiah Montoya, a few thoughts:

      1. I think 4-6 weeks for a turnover is about normal. You need some time to prep the unit, do any repairs etc before placing a tenant. 

      2. It is possible in some markets and if you are extremely hands-on to place tenants more seamlessly, but this is probably more the exception and may not be plausible when hiring a PM from a distance. 

      3. If your average tenant stay is ~2 years and you budget 5% of rent for Vacancy, then 4-6 week turnover is right on the mark! You will have budgeted exactly how much you need to cover the Vacancy. Are you budgeting this money? I guess if your PM charges a tenant placement fee you might be behind for that reason. 

      4. Are you keeping tenants 2 years or more on average? If you are turning over a tenant every year, THAT is something you should evaluate! Increase your average length of stay!

      5. When you have a Vacancy it isn't only the lost rent that hurts, its the cost to do repairs, cleaning, refreshing the unit etc. In addition if you pay your PM a placement fee that adds to the pain. 

      6. Look at your "value proposition". Do you provide all appliances including washer/dryer? Do you allow pets? Are you charging maximum rent or priced a little below market? 

      Giving a tenant a better value may increase your average stay and allow you to make more money overall! 

      Imagine if you lowered rent 5-10% but your average tenant stayed 4 years. Would you make MORE or LESS money than you are now?!? 


       Thank you for your input. Yes I budget for capex/vac/maint. That is a great point of length of stay. I am charging right around market rent and it is a solid home, 2022 build by a local builder 3/2 with oven/fridge/washer/dryer. I have not considered that math of a lower rent but longer stay. I have been looking for a qualify PM to help with turnover but no joy.

  • Specialist · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2011 · 875 posts · 394 votes
    7mo

    Have you considered hiring a professional manager to help? Or at least an agent that knows how to lease up homes? What's the area and neighborhood like, because maybe it's located in a place that is not so attractive.

    • Member since 2023 · 4 posts · 1 vote
      7mo
      Quote from @Aristotle Kumpis:

      Have you considered hiring a professional manager to help? Or at least an agent that knows how to lease up homes? What's the area and neighborhood like, because maybe it's located in a place that is not so attractive.


      It is a C tier neighborhood, but with nice simple 3/2 homes and no crime issues. Just a lower income area. I have been looking for a qualify property manager to help with just turnover but have not found luck. Managing month to month has been smooth, its just the turnover.

    • Specialist · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2011 · 875 posts · 394 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Isaiah Montoya:
      Quote from @Aristotle Kumpis:

      Have you considered hiring a professional manager to help? Or at least an agent that knows how to lease up homes? What's the area and neighborhood like, because maybe it's located in a place that is not so attractive.


      It is a C tier neighborhood, but with nice simple 3/2 homes and no crime issues. Just a lower income area. I have been looking for a qualify property manager to help with just turnover but have not found luck. Managing month to month has been smooth, its just the turnover.

      I see. I know of a great property manager in Houston. Let me find out if they manage in Corpus Christi
  • Contractor · Port Aransas, TX · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 16 votes
    7mo

    I have a great property manager for my SFH in Corpus. I'll send you their contact in a message.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    7mo

    Depends on your market as to what is a normal amount of turnover.  Also depends on when you can do showings (ie are you waiting for it to be vacant or advertizing  a few weeks before tenants are out?).

    Also what do you mean by something always happens?  Takes longer to do repairs or cleaning or you have someone who signed on and then bailed?

  • G. Brian DavisPro Member
    Investor · Hatboro, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 850 votes
    7mo

    Managing long distance adds friction, especially in more workforce-driven rental markets.

    If you’re seeing consistent 4–6 week vacancies, I’d look closely at three things, is the pricing relative to true comps (not just listed rents), tenant screening quality, and whether small upgrades could push you into a more stable tenant profile. 

    You might also wanna run the numbers on a solid local property manager. Even if it costs 8–10%, reducing vacancy and stress can materially improve your net performance from California.

  • Cameron TopePro Member
    Property Manager · Katy, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7mo

    Isaiah, 

    This is one of the most difficult pieces of self-management - outside of tenant screening. 

    When I first started, I had a handyman who would help me complete the tenant turnovers - rekey, take pictures, repairs, maintenance, etc. 

    Having a trusted contractor makes the turn MUCH simpler. 

    Best of luck!

  • Realtor · OH · Member since 2026 · 122 posts · 77 votes
    7mo
    Quote from @Isaiah Montoya:

    Hey everyone,

    I own one SFH in Corpus Christi, TX that I manage myself from California. It is a long term rental I have had for 3 years now. I continuously struggle with Tenant Turnover, for example its 4-6 weeks vacant or there is always something that goes wrong. If anyone has any advice, I am open to suggestions.




    A few things that help:

    -Hire a local property manager if possible — even part-time, they can handle turnover and repairs faster.

    -Screen tenants carefully to reduce problem rentals.

    -Have a network of reliable local contractors ready for quick fixes.

    -Plan for vacancy in your cash flow so 4–6 weeks doesn’t derail your numbers.

      Even small local support can cut a lot of headaches

    1. Ben FernandezBusiness Member
      Realtor · Lancaster, PA · Member since 2025 · 169 posts · 97 votes
      7mo

      Assumming your turnover-to-list time is consistent, your total turn-time is going to highly rely on your ability to begin showing the property after your tenant has provided the 60 day notice and before they move out (while they're still living there).

      If you can't show it until the tenant is out, your current turn time is effective.

    2. Drew SygitBusiness Member
      Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Isaiah Montoya:

      Hey everyone,

      I own one SFH in Corpus Christi, TX that I manage myself from California. It is a long term rental I have had for 3 years now. I continuously struggle with Tenant Turnover, for example its 4-6 weeks vacant or there is always something that goes wrong. If anyone has any advice, I am open to suggestions.


       What's the average DOM for rentals in Corpus Christi?

    3. Adam BartomeoBusiness Member
      Real Estate Broker · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      7mo

      There is a direct correlation with DOM and pricing, the lower the price the quicker it will rent. There is also a direct correlation with deferred maintenance and updating, the more deferred maintenance the longer it takes to rent. These would be the first 2 things that I look at. BTW the DOM in SWFL are 60 - 120 days. We would love to have 30 - 45!

    Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.