New to investing and seeking guidance

New to investing and seeking guidance

Member since 2024 · 1 post · 4 votes

Hi everyone, 

I am new to investing and eager to get started, but I am not quite sure where to begin.

I've been considering purchasing a multifamily property as a way to build long-term wealth. At the moment, I have approx. $20k saved to invest, However, I also have a very demanding job and family responsibilities, which leave me with limited time to dedicate to navigating this process.

That said, I am highly motivated to take the first step and begin building a strong financial foundation for myself and my family, I just need some direction on how to approach this thoughtfully and efficiently.

For context, I am based in CT.

If anyone has advice, resources, or insights on how to get started, particularly with limited capital and time, I would truly appreciate your guidance.

Thank you in advance.

4Reply
277 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Wilmington, NC · Member since 2019 · 69 posts · 51 votes
5mo

Hey @Teya Beradze, you're lucky being based in CT! Zillow ranked Hartford the number 1 hottest market in 2026, so tons of opportunity around there. I personally have a duplex in New Haven I purchased in 2022 that's been doing very well. 

That being said, $20k is tight, especially for multifamily. You'd probably need to do an owner-occupied situation with FHA or 5% conventional to make that work, not sure if that's something you're considering.

My best advice is to figure out the city/county that you're interested in based on your budget and then search the forums for an experienced, reputable agent who owns rental properties in that area. They'll be able to give you solid advice on which pockets to target/avoid, and help you run numbers on properties. Best of luck!

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Mackaylee BeachPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 492 votes
    5mo

    I would be delighted to connect and share insights regarding the current Kansas City market.  I can provide information on turnkey properties. Having collaborated with hundreds of investors, my primary objective is to ensure a stress-free experience for everyone involved.

  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 941 votes
    5mo
    Quote from @Teya Beradze:

    Hi everyone, 

    I am new to investing and eager to get started, but I am not quite sure where to begin.

    I've been considering purchasing a multifamily property as a way to build long-term wealth. At the moment, I have approx. $20k saved to invest, However, I also have a very demanding job and family responsibilities, which leave me with limited time to dedicate to navigating this process.

    That said, I am highly motivated to take the first step and begin building a strong financial foundation for myself and my family, I just need some direction on how to approach this thoughtfully and efficiently.

    For context, I am based in CT.

    If anyone has advice, resources, or insights on how to get started, particularly with limited capital and time, I would truly appreciate your guidance.

    Thank you in advance.


    You're actually in a good position to start, but the biggest mistake I see with new investors is going all-in on the purchase price and leaving nothing for the property itself. If you use all $20K just to buy the property, you're exposed right away because you still need repairs/CapEx, a vacancy buffer, property management if it's remote, and unexpected stuff like roof or plumbing issues. With limited time, as you mentioned, that cushion matters even more.

    A lot of newer investors in your situation end up starting in Midwest markets where entry prices are lower, and you can actually keep reserves in place instead of stretching just to close, which makes your first deal a lot less stressful to manage while working a demanding job. Focus on something simple, stable, and cash-flowing first, then scale once the system is working.

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    5mo
    Quote from @Teya Beradze:

    Hi everyone, 

    I am new to investing and eager to get started, but I am not quite sure where to begin.

    I've been considering purchasing a multifamily property as a way to build long-term wealth. At the moment, I have approx. $20k saved to invest, However, I also have a very demanding job and family responsibilities, which leave me with limited time to dedicate to navigating this process.

    That said, I am highly motivated to take the first step and begin building a strong financial foundation for myself and my family, I just need some direction on how to approach this thoughtfully and efficiently.

    For context, I am based in CT.

    If anyone has advice, resources, or insights on how to get started, particularly with limited capital and time, I would truly appreciate your guidance.

    Thank you in advance.

     Contact @Samuel Eddinger! He's also in CT and can assist you with how to procced.

  • Rental Property Investor · Wilmington, NC · Member since 2019 · 69 posts · 51 votes
    5mo

    Hey @Teya Beradze, you're lucky being based in CT! Zillow ranked Hartford the number 1 hottest market in 2026, so tons of opportunity around there. I personally have a duplex in New Haven I purchased in 2022 that's been doing very well. 

    That being said, $20k is tight, especially for multifamily. You'd probably need to do an owner-occupied situation with FHA or 5% conventional to make that work, not sure if that's something you're considering.

    My best advice is to figure out the city/county that you're interested in based on your budget and then search the forums for an experienced, reputable agent who owns rental properties in that area. They'll be able to give you solid advice on which pockets to target/avoid, and help you run numbers on properties. Best of luck!

  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5mo
    Quote from @Teya Beradze:

    Hi everyone, 

    I am new to investing and eager to get started, but I am not quite sure where to begin.

    I've been considering purchasing a multifamily property as a way to build long-term wealth. At the moment, I have approx. $20k saved to invest, However, I also have a very demanding job and family responsibilities, which leave me with limited time to dedicate to navigating this process.

    That said, I am highly motivated to take the first step and begin building a strong financial foundation for myself and my family, I just need some direction on how to approach this thoughtfully and efficiently.

    For context, I am based in CT.

    If anyone has advice, resources, or insights on how to get started, particularly with limited capital and time, I would truly appreciate your guidance.

    Thank you in advance.

    Hey Teya, welcome to BP! With $20k and limited time, I’d keep it simple and focus on getting your first solid, low-stress deal rather than trying to do everything at once. Multifamily is great, but in today’s market your capital may go further starting with a small single family or house hack, or looking at out-of-state markets where prices are lower so your money stretches more. The key early on is building a small, reliable team so you’re not doing everything yourself, especially since your time is tight. Also spend some time getting comfortable analyzing deals so you know what actually cash flows versus what just looks good on paper. One market I’d suggest looking into is Columbus because it’s been a really strong option for newer investors—there’s solid population growth, job growth, and a lot of big companies expanding there, which keeps rental demand high. What makes it stand out is you can still find relatively affordable properties that hit the 1% rule and produce positive cash flow, which is tough to find in places like CT. That combination of steady rent demand, landlord-friendly setup, and long-term appreciation potential makes it easier to get started without needing a huge amount of capital or time. Happy to connect and answer any questions you have!


  • Meriden, CT · Member since 2018 · 702 posts · 501 votes
    5mo
    Quote from @Teya Beradze:

    Hi everyone, 

    I am new to investing and eager to get started, but I am not quite sure where to begin.

    I've been considering purchasing a multifamily property as a way to build long-term wealth. At the moment, I have approx. $20k saved to invest, However, I also have a very demanding job and family responsibilities, which leave me with limited time to dedicate to navigating this process.

    That said, I am highly motivated to take the first step and begin building a strong financial foundation for myself and my family, I just need some direction on how to approach this thoughtfully and efficiently.

    For context, I am based in CT.

    If anyone has advice, resources, or insights on how to get started, particularly with limited capital and time, I would truly appreciate your guidance.

    Thank you in advance.


     Welcome to BiggerPockets.  I'm a CT based investor and would love to have a conversation.  The CT market seems to be turning for the worst right now but I'd be happy to provide any guidance I can.  If interested, DM me.

  • Property Manager · Warsaw · Member since 2026 · 107 posts · 38 votes
    4mo

    Hi, and whiie searching deais is it hard for you with hundreds of them to find those interesting? 

  • Real Estate Broker · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4mo

    I’d honestly lean toward either saving a little more or starting with something smaller for your first move.

    Multifamily can absolutely build real long‑term wealth, but the upfront costs hit harder than people expect. It’s not just the down payment; it’s reserves, repairs, surprises, and all the little things that pop up once you actually own the place. A lot of first‑time investors only budget for closing day and forget everything that comes after.

    And there’s zero shame in starting smaller. Sometimes the best first deal is the one that teaches you the ropes without stretching you too thin. A simpler property can give you confidence, experience, and breathing room so you’re not stressed about every little thing.

    It’s all about setting yourself up to grow steadily instead of feeling overwhelmed right out of the gate.

  • Real Estate Agent · Worcester, MA · Member since 2026 · 114 posts · 53 votes
    4mo

    Hi Teya, 

    Great mindset! Multifamily can be a solid way to build long-term wealth, especially in CT where you still have a lot of small multi options.

    I’d strongly suggest not trying to figure everything out alone. The biggest shortcut I’ve seen for new investors is getting around people actively doing deals and learning the process in real time (offers, financing, inspections, closing, etc.), not just theory.

    We actually have a monthly investor meetup in CT where local investors and investor-friendly agents get together to go over deals, strategies, and current market opportunities. It’s very casual and beginner-friendly, and you’ll usually leave with a much clearer idea of next steps.

    If you want more info, feel free to DM me.

  • Robert EllisBusiness Member
    Developer · Miami, FL · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4mo
    Quote from @Teya Beradze:

    Hi everyone, 

    I am new to investing and eager to get started, but I am not quite sure where to begin.

    I've been considering purchasing a multifamily property as a way to build long-term wealth. At the moment, I have approx. $20k saved to invest, However, I also have a very demanding job and family responsibilities, which leave me with limited time to dedicate to navigating this process.

    That said, I am highly motivated to take the first step and begin building a strong financial foundation for myself and my family, I just need some direction on how to approach this thoughtfully and efficiently.

    For context, I am based in CT.

    If anyone has advice, resources, or insights on how to get started, particularly with limited capital and time, I would truly appreciate your guidance.

    Thank you in advance.


    One thing I'd encourage you to think about is that your limiting factor may not actually be capital, it may be time.

    A lot of investors focus on finding the perfect property, but for someone balancing a demanding career and family responsibilities, the quality of the team, market, and systems around the property can end up being just as important as the deal itself.

    We've seen investors with similar budgets achieve very different outcomes simply because they chose markets with different rent demand, management quality, maintenance costs, and local economic drivers.

    Out of curiosity, if you could only optimize for one thing on your first investment, would it be cash flow, long-term appreciation, or minimizing the amount of time you personally have to spend managing it?

  • Rental Property Investor · Pittsburgh · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    3mo

    Teya,
    Welcome to the journey. I suggest buying a single family home. Barrier to entry is fairly low and see if you like the process. If you like it move into multi family and later sell the single. Jumping straight into multi can be overwhelming and you may experience burnout fast. Additionally, no deaL is perfect. You can recover from a single family. Sometimes a multi can drain you. good luck! And make it fun like the game monopoly!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.