Real Estate Investing Basics

The Ideal Real Estate Investing Team

Expertise: Real Estate Marketing, Personal Development, Real Estate News & Commentary, Mortgages & Creative Financing, Real Estate Investing Basics, Landlording & Rental Properties, Flipping Houses, Personal Finance, Business Management
expert_real_estate_team
There are several important things you need to do to be successful in real estate, one of which is building the ideal team to help you find and manage your investments. I’m going to talk briefly about who should be on any winning real estate investing team: 1. Your Mentor – Every successful entrepreneur needs [...] View the full article: The Ideal Real Estate Investing Team on The BiggerPockets Blog. This content is Copyright © 2017 BiggerPockets, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Joshua Dorkin is a serial entrepreneur, investor, podcaster, publisher, educator, and co-author of How to Invest in Real Estate. He started BiggerPockets to help democratize the real estate investing landscape for himself and others, aiming to make it accessible for everyone, regardless of income or education. Today, BiggerPockets is the premier real estate investing website online with over one million members and reaching over 70 million people with the message of financial freedom through real estate investing. Joshua, along with his wife and three daughters, make their home in Denver, Colorado, and spend any time they can traveling, exploring, and adventuring. Read more about Joshua’s story in 5280 and Inc.com.

Todd
    Replied over 13 years ago
    That so thought out and structured. I need to get my team refined and built up. So far the only team member I have is a friend who just got realtor certified. Reply Report comment
    Todd
    Todd
    Boston
    Boston
    Replied over 13 years ago
    Just came across your blog you made some great observations on putting together a great real estate team. Reply Report comment
    Justin
    Justin
    Justin
    Replied over 13 years ago
    Nice job. Mabye add a fanatical planner to your list also. But it looks like a great place to get started. thanks for the insightfull info. Reply Report comment
    Justin
    Justin
    Justin
    Chris Dawson
    Chris Dawson
    Replied over 13 years ago
    Add in your Money Man (or Women) and the team is even stronger at getting you to the goal line. I like a Money Man who I can call with the details on the pre foreclosure I’m ready to purchase and he is ready to close within 48 hours. Reply Report comment
    Todd
    Replied about 13 years ago
    Make sure you have known what tool you will use to manage your property. Even if you hire a property manager do not assume you should use their property management tool, make sure you have complete access to your property information. We like, iRealtyManager.com.
    Todd
    Replied about 13 years ago
    JIM MCGHEE
    Replied about 13 years ago
    ADD A GOOD CONTRACTOR TO THE LIST , ONE WHO LISTENS TO YOU !!!1
    JIM MCGHEE
    Replied about 13 years ago
    ADD A GOOD CONTRACTOR TO THE LIST , ONE WHO LISTENS TO YOU !!!1
    Kevin
    Replied over 12 years ago
    Good list, and nice to see you have mentor at the top of the list. I come across too many people that are too proud to think they need a mentor, and this is a huge mistake in my opinion. Excellent list though and I’m glad I stumbled upon your blog. Reply Report comment
    Kevin
    Replied over 12 years ago
    Kevin
    Replied over 12 years ago
    Mike
    Replied over 12 years ago
    The list is not full but it’s still ok.
    Joshua Dorkin
    Replied over 12 years ago
    Thanks for all the additions guys! Mike . . . if the list isn’t full, can you help us fill it? Why post a comment like you did if you have no intention of adding anything constructive to the conversation?
    Henry_CA
    Replied over 12 years ago
    I just began assmenbling my team and they consist of 1) Short sale experience Realtor, 2) Mortgage broker with conventional underwriting experience, 3) Title rep., 4) former code enforement officer, 5) former building and safty staff member, 6) Hudge Fund person, 7) Bird dog organization, 8) Certified REO inspector, 9) Experiece sales agent.
    Ray-REI
    Replied about 12 years ago
    Ray-REI
    Replied about 12 years ago
    Great post! As a beginner is there a good starting line-up or should this be the team to have to make that first deal? I suppose this would be a question for a mentor though. Reply Report comment
    Ray-REI
    Replied about 12 years ago
    Wallace S. Gibson CPM
    Replied about 12 years ago
    I would move PROPERTY MANAGER up to the TOP of the list rather than lower down as is shown….property managers KNOW the rental market, what residents want to RENT and WHERE they want to rent it…remember * location, location, location * a good property manager can advise you WHERE to start your search and if you want to expand your RE portfolio, a good PM can advise you on diversification.
    ERIC
    Replied almost 12 years ago
    any preforeclosure investors out there… would like to network with a mentor.
    ERIC
    Replied almost 12 years ago
    any preforeclosure investors out there… would like to network with a mentor.
    ERIC
    Replied almost 12 years ago
    any preforeclosure investors out there… would like to network with a mentor. Reply Report comment
    John Paul Manego
    Replied over 11 years ago
    Should we even number these? I feel most, if not all, are equally important in the success of being in real estate. Correct me if I’m wrong and there’s one more important than the other, thanks!
    John Paul Manego
    Replied over 11 years ago
    John Paul Manego
    Replied over 11 years ago
    edit above **is there one aspect of RE (any of the top 8) more important than the other and one can survive without? Thanks
    Joshua Dorkin
    Replied over 11 years ago
    John – They are likely all relatively equal in importance, although you certainly will find some more important than others depending on your focus in the REI game.
    Joshua Dorkin
    Replied over 11 years ago
    Joshua Dorkin
    Replied over 11 years ago
    Joshua Dorkin
    Replied over 11 years ago
    Joshua Dorkin
    Replied over 11 years ago
    Jeffrey Hare
    Replied over 7 years ago
    As a real estate attorney and an investor, I talk to a lot of new investors — often after they have taken the plunge and find themselves up to their necks in legal, er, waste. Or worse, after they’ve hired the wrong attorney who just charged a lot of money but didn’t fix anything. Establishing a productive attorney-client relationship early in the process not only can help save you from making serious mistakes, but could turn out to be one of the highest returns on your money, and may actually help you identify other members of your team that the attorney knows from experience can provide you with good advice. Important: let your attorney know what your investment objectives are so the legal advice can be tailored to helping you achieve your goals!
    Brenda A. from Woodland Hills, California
    Replied almost 5 years ago
    I believe having a good real estate attorney is great advice but I don’t think it is as easy a 1-2-3- to get one if you are brand new at Real estate investing as I am.
    Devin Best from Crestwood, Kentucky
    Replied almost 3 years ago
    If I’m focused on multi-family investments, would it be a good idea to add a building inspector to the team?
    Kevin McCalmon
    Replied about 2 months ago
    I cannot view the full article. There is no link