Real Estate News & Commentary

Top 7 Coolest Real Estate Web 2.0 Sites

Expertise: Real Estate Marketing, Personal Development, Real Estate News & Commentary, Mortgages & Creative Financing, Real Estate Investing Basics, Landlording & Rental Properties, Flipping Houses, Personal Finance, Business Management
Things are changing so fast online, and Web 2.0 is taking over. Mashups are the newest rage for now, and there will certainly be cooler stuff to come in the not so distant future. Hopefully these technologies will continue to make it easier to learn about, buy, sell, or rent properties. What are the coolest [...] View the full article: Top 7 Coolest Real Estate Web 2.0 Sites on The BiggerPockets Blog. This content is Copyright © 2017 BiggerPockets, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Joshua Dorkin is a serial entrepreneur, investor, podcaster, publisher, educator, and co-author of
    Angelina
    Replied over 13 years ago
    Most people don’t call an agent when they first start looking for a home. They start on the Internet and most go to Realtor.com. Then they call the listing agent or seller. Put yourself in the buyer’s shoes when it comes to the Internet. Do you think they aren’t going to click on that little box that says show me Virtual Tours first? They will and do. I see so much money wasted on News Print. What do you think a home seller will want more? Ask them this the next time you go to a potential listing. “How do you want me to market your home? I can put your listing in front of most listings on Realtor.com and in front of millions of potential home buyers by doing a Virtual Tour or I can spend the same money for a 4 line ad in the local paper.” I am not saying News Paper Advertising is bad but that’s all you “aged agents” know how to do outside the MLS.
    Angelina
    Replied over 13 years ago
    Ed Kohler
    Replied over 13 years ago
    Ed Kohler
    Replied over 13 years ago
    It’s interesting to see how mashups have evolved over time. For example, here’s a new site built by our company that launched this week in Colorado: http://www.coloradohomestop.com Of course, this is only the latest step in the fast evolving market of online mapping. Reply Report comment
    Ed Kohler
    Replied over 13 years ago
    Ed Kohler
    Replied over 13 years ago
    GoonDocks
    Replied about 13 years ago
    My frusturation with real estate web sites is that most all of them only allow the same simplistic beds/baths/city/price criteria. Our company web site is “attempting” to open up the full MLS criteria.
    Samuel Morhaim
    Replied almost 13 years ago
    I personally think they are all great for ‘locating’ properties.. but not great as a directory for real estate or international real estate.
    Samuel Morhaim
    Neil Simmons
    Replied almost 13 years ago
    I find that for the Asian Region, a good place to pick up statistics is to look at some of the larger International Real Estate companies in Asia such as CB Richard Ellis or Jones Lang Lasalle. They post their research papers on their respective websites.
    henry
    Replied almost 13 years ago
    gootube.net – the youtube of realestate videos?
    Paul
    Replied almost 13 years ago
    I didn’t have the best of luck with Zillow when we were buying a house. I was really hoping to get a better outlook of how homes were selling in the neighborhood we were buying in, but there was little data.
    paul
    Replied almost 13 years ago
    i had only heard of like 2 of these. wow, this is going to be a huge time saver. i heard of zillow a couple of years ago and loved its interface. i’ll check the rest of this list out. thanks.
    Sapan Bhear
    zillow is amazing
    Tim
    Replied almost 13 years ago
    It would be good if Google Earth gave clearer images outside of main city areas. As soon as you get to the more rural areas, and smaller villages then the image is too blurred. Google Earth has a lot of potential for real estate websites.
    Tim
    Columbus Ohio Webdesign and SEO Consulting
    Replied almost 13 years ago
    So when does your new RE application come out, and is it going to make the next top 7 list? Looking forward to it since i’m looking for an apt. right now! -Brad
    Columbus Ohio Webdesign and SEO Consulting
    Columbus Ohio Webdesign and SEO Consulting
    Karl Schabmuller
    Replied over 12 years ago
    What a surprise! I am a real estate agent in Paris, France, and have visited “biggerpockets” a few years ago and it has really changed since then. By the way, Alan Greenspan gave an interview to the renowned French newspaper “Le Figaro” which was published today and where he predicted a market slow down. Well, we’ll see. KHS, Paris http://www.khs.fr/
    Terry Sprouse
    Replied over 12 years ago
    Great information on the new property finder tools! Another one that I use frequently in Craig’s List. It’s really easy to narrow down your searches by typing in key words. Keep up the good work.
    Terry Sprouse
    The Property Pundit
    Replied over 12 years ago
    I know this is an old post, but this is a great collection of the sites that are changing the way real estate is done. Really nice post.
    Realtor SEO
    Replied over 12 years ago
    Zillow is amazing, are you kidding me! It has my home $75k below its actual real comps Reply Report comment
    Realtor SEO
    clydd
    Replied over 12 years ago
    well this post coming to you from where the actual boom is underway, – Dubai. Next gen technology is also being created here, with what could possibly be a “first” for real estate listings. Agents can send their property listing details directly via sms or mms and go live to a widespread audience. check it here : http://www.realvisionhomes.com/multilistingsservice/
    ray loesch
    Replied over 12 years ago
    I just came upon this post and had to mention how much I love Zillow.com. I use this site on a regular basis to compare home value and properties in the different I am interested in. Web 2.0 and real estate are a perfect match, as I find the real estate industry is usually on the cutting edge of marketing.
    Franco
    Replied over 12 years ago
    This is really the coolest 🙂
    propertymaps.com
    Replied over 12 years ago
    I also just came upon this post (almost two years after it we released) and want to mention our site – http://www.propertymaps.com. You can search authentic MLS data along with community statistics, sex offenders, business proximities, etc. Check it out.
    propertymaps.com
    Matt Harrison
    Replied over 12 years ago
    The problem with using maps in Asia is that most owners don’t give sole agency to estate agents, and so by showing the location of the property you are giving away your stock to other agents.
    Alex Bowden
    Replied over 12 years ago
    A useful feature for real estate agents to have on their websites is a measuring tool, so users can measure the distance from the house/apartment to the nearest train station etc.
    Dwayne Charrington
    Replied over 12 years ago
    Wow, even the real estate sector is getting involved with Web 2.0 style and design. I never even knew. Those sites look amazing for real estate websites. I’m too use to seeing boring old fashioned 1995 looking real estate websites, good to see a change. – Dwayne Charrington. http://www.dwaynecharrington.com Reply Report comment
    Dwayne Charrington
    Noni McVey
    Replied over 12 years ago
    It is always fun to find new and innovative real estate web sites.
    Lyn Smith
    Replied about 12 years ago
    I think that with the world today being so ‘small’ and more people buying property in different countries, it is good for Real Estate related websites to have a currency converter tool.
    streetfolio
    Replied about 12 years ago
    A great collection of sites.
    MoneyMan
    Replied about 12 years ago
    Great article and even the commenters sites are all great resources. The web sure has evolved!!
    MoneyMan
    MoneyMan
    jonathan C
    Replied about 12 years ago
    I really think HotPads is an exceptional website worth checking out!
    George Farmer
    George Farmer
    Replied about 12 years ago
    Our land sales listings site Land Incorporated. which launched in January 2008 uses Google maps with the seller able to input latitude and longitude to help locate very remote properties. Reply Report comment
    derrikd
    Replied about 12 years ago
    iswherewelive.com is rather interesting and growing. they have free websites for real estate, i set up a mirror of my own blog, and display each realtors name as featured realtors next to listings for sale. Reply Report comment
    derrikd
    Peter Bland
    Replied about 12 years ago
    I wish Google Earth and Google Maps would update their information. The images are all about 3 years old already, and in the world of real estate, 3 years is a long time.
    Peter Bland
    Scott Maggelet
    Replied about 12 years ago
    We just launched realmapz.com, which currently has only properties on California’s central coast, but has some features that we have not seen on other sites. The filters are applied with javascript without a round-trip to the server, and there is a sorting algorithm that changes the color of the marker icons based on the sorting criteria, again without leaving the context of the current page. Also, the detailed view is presented with AJAX, so you do not lose your place on your map (my biggest pet peeve with trulia).
    Scott Maggelet
    small business crm
    Replied almost 12 years ago
    I agree very good selection. Thanks for the effort.
    Olga Ritchie
    Replied almost 12 years ago
    Thank you very much for the useful info! I digged it.
    Olga Ritchie
    Replied almost 12 years ago
    Thank you very much for the useful info! I digged it.
    Benny
    Replied almost 12 years ago
    Wow man!! what a great tips!! I have tried to use them on Israel and I couldn’t see places in Tel Aviv. start a reverse search ssn now. Thanks, Benny
    Eugene Chuang Garg
    Replied almost 12 years ago
    Yes very good selection of quality websites.. 2 of them are in my bookmarks already.
    Drew Izzo
    Replied almost 12 years ago
    This article is interesting – but ran before the launch of Roost.com. Check out Roost [it rocks!] and maybe do another roundup? Drew
    Drew Izzo
    Replied almost 12 years ago
    Susan
    Replied over 11 years ago
    I think houseingmaps is interesting. In NJ the gsmls IDX doesn’t have a mapping feature which I have seen in other states and love.
    Susan
    Replied over 11 years ago
    Susan
    Replied over 11 years ago
    Susan
    Replied over 11 years ago
    I love the sites with the map features. The New Jersey MLS doesn’t offer it on their IDX as I’ve seen it featured in other areas. I think its extremely helpful to buyers and sellers.
    Susan
    Replied over 11 years ago
    jacksonville condos for sale
    Replied over 11 years ago
    Trulia may not be the coolest but it’s very useful. For me, it’s the best. I wasn’t aware about biggerpockets, but will surely check it out now!
    ravi
    Replied over 10 years ago
    Hi All I had seen a website a while ago that allowed people to partner with each other to do joint real estate investment. It was sort of like an online community where you can find partners who you would like to do joint investment with. I seem to have forgotten the URL…can anyone post a URL for that web site or something that does the above. Thx Reply Report comment
    ravi
    Replied over 10 years ago
    Joshua Dorkin
    Replied over 10 years ago
    @ravi – It is http://www.biggerpockets.com Reply Report comment
    Joshua Dorkin
    Replied over 10 years ago
    @ravi – It is http://www.biggerpockets.com
    Kevin Alvarez
    Replied almost 10 years ago
    It’s kind of weird that I am commenting on a blog post that was published more than 4 years ago. However, I think that most real estate agents are still having a difficult time learning how to properly use online marketing, Web 2.0, and social media. Angelina (3rd comment) was right with regards to how buyers start their process. I am doing marketing work for a company that has developed some very powerful real estate online marketing and virtual tour software . I can say this, most of our users are savvy with online marketing (or at least the software makes them savvy) and are having tremendous success. My point is this. The technology and tools (social media, online video, blogs, virtual tours, etc.) to help agents market their listings are available. The successful ones are utilizing them and
    Bill Barvitski
    Replied over 9 years ago
    how can I use this in Mexico ? bill
    Andrew Mooers
    Replied over 9 years ago
    Thanks for the rundown. Was searching for more on maps, how to intergrate them in the media mix. You can not get away without a map the early explorers found. Same still applies today to find the “treasure”.
    Roch M. St-Georges
    Replied over 9 years ago
    What would we do without the Google API? Even individual realtors and brokerages now use the Google code to populate maps of the properties they are selling. We should see a lot more sites in 2011 using the Google API and using their Streetview feature. Reply Report comment
    Roch M. St-Georges
    Replied over 9 years ago
    Roch M. St-Georges
    Replied over 9 years ago
    Craig Bosse
    Replied over 9 years ago
    The business model of Trulia and Zillow is quite amazing. 100% of their content is generated by real estate agents then they turn around, dress it up a bit, and sell the leads back to them! Amazing that some will pay for that!
    Anonymous
    Replied about 9 years ago
    Great information provided. In New Hampshire our listings are automatically linked to these various websites. Through IDX leads are generated and filtered directly to our Realtors.
    Bill Kirkpatrick
    Replied almost 9 years ago
    Being that this post is a bit dated, do you feel these are still the ‘Top 7’? I am personally using BiggerPockets, of course, Trulia and sometimes Zillow, more exclusively than any others, but if anyone has found something they feel is better please do tell.
    Rob Smeed
    Replied almost 9 years ago
    I think that Biggerpockets is still the best.
    Anonymous
    Replied over 8 years ago
    BiggerPockets was way ahead of it’s time combining social media and real estate back in 2007. Thanks for vision and making it happen.
    Kurt
    Replied about 8 years ago
    Even though this post is out dated. I still believe that biggerpockets probably still takes the cake vs. the others..
    Matt Pernice
    Replied about 8 years ago
    I would say that Zillow and Trulia and are the dominating sites. The serps in Google love them and always rank them in the top 5 in any city. Not really fair for us small timers. Matt Pernice Manhattan Beach, CA
    Bossier
    Replied almost 8 years ago
    Truila will be the most dominate in the next 2 years, craigslist is dying off because of over saturation. I have advertised on Zillow and no luck at all not even 1 lead.
    Vincent Talerico
    Replied over 7 years ago
    BiggerPockets.com back in 2006…those were the days 🙂
    Nick
    Replied over 7 years ago
    @Vincent – Yup. Impressive movement since 2006. Kinda fun to look back though.
    Nick Van Assche
    Replied over 7 years ago
    Nick Van Assche
    Replied over 7 years ago
    We feed directly from our website to Zillow.com and Trulia.com. After spending thousands of dollars to create direct feeds we watched REALOGY companies negotiate their listings onto these sites and others including Homes.com. Additionally we are finding certain markets receive premier benefits including NO ADVERTISERS on their listings. It will be interesting to watch what happens to the online real estate marketplace over the next couple of years. Reply Report comment
    Ioannis P. Moukas