Real Estate News & Commentary

Investor War Stories: A Fishy Abandoned House Tale

Expertise:
Some of the articles I have written lately have been on topics of a more serious nature so I thought I would write about an abandoned house that I discovered a few years ago that was so unbelievable…. Well it was unbelievable. I thought I would tell this true story to show the lighter side [...] View the full article: Investor War Stories: A Fishy Abandoned House Tale on The BiggerPockets Blog. This content is Copyright © 2017 BiggerPockets, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Sam Chapman
    Replied over 12 years ago
    Was dozing the house enough? Seems to me like you should have burned the place, but I suppose the local government would have been a bit upset of having a fish BBQ in the neighborhood.
    Matt
    Replied over 12 years ago
    damn that’s a pretty clever way to ruin a house…cool story about finding the house and exploring it..funny enough I found an abandoned house around 96 and went throughout it with my brother…the house had lots of stuff still inside and we were young. We found broken glass and a dead bird in the sink, and a chalk outline of a body..I think it might have been fake. Their were tons of suits, and lots of valuables; we didn’t take anything and got scared and left..thankfully it didn’t smell as bad as your experience 😉
    Joshua Dorkin
    Replied over 12 years ago
    That’s a crazy story . . . I had one of my own that perhaps I’ll share another day on the blog. Reply Report comment
    Joshua Dorkin
    Joshua Dorkin
    RJacobsen
    Replied over 12 years ago
    That’s absolutely insane! I can’t believe that someone would do something like that! I don’t blame the lender for filing charges. BTW… The pic makes the house look like something right out of a horror movie. Too bad the house was intentionally destroyed, would’ve been really nice after being fixed up.
    Andy
    Replied over 12 years ago
    These stories which are extreme, are true through the housing industry. If anything, being the lender i would have filed charges even earlier. In now way should they even have done that in the first place. Regards Andy
    Joshua Dorkin
    Replied over 12 years ago
    Andy – unfortunately, sometimes there isn’t much you can do until you discover these things.
    Joshua Dorkin
    PeterT
    Replied over 12 years ago
    Several years back I went into a foreclosure where the owners had disconnected everything, the toilets, cabenets, everything. It was all left sitting next to where it should have been installed and you knew it was their way of saying $%&#@ you to the bank. This fish story goes way beyond that. Reply Report comment
    PeterT
    PeterT
    PeterT
    Janet
    Replied over 12 years ago
    This reminds me of a story I saw on TV about some real estate invstors that bought a big (newly built) California mansion that was in forclosure (site unseen) for a “steal of a price”… When they finally visited the property and were able to open it – they found dozens of CATS! The cats were owned by the previous owner who apparently lost her mind – leaving the cats to urinate and deficate ALL OVER EVERYTHING for months and months. The investors were physically sickened by the site and smell of their new investment property – and said that they would be contacting their lawyer…
    Jennifer Kirby
    Replied over 12 years ago
    That was one of the best stories I have heard in awhile. You were pretty brave. The closest gross thing I have experienced was we were renovating an old Victorican and came in one day to the smell of feces. Apparently some homeless guy decided to make himself at home one night and went to the bathroom in the hole reserved for the new toilet plumbing lines. It was pretty gross.
    Tiffany Rodriguez-Taylor
    Wow! That is so gross…
    Susan
    Replied almost 12 years ago
    Susan
    Replied almost 12 years ago
    What a story! I can only imagine the smell…good lord. Funny that you were so determined you went to Home Depot for respirators. I believe I would’ve been afraid at what I might find at some point and yes, Sam, it sounds like burning would have been in order as well. Reply Report comment
    Susan
    Replied almost 12 years ago
    Susan
    Replied almost 12 years ago
    Dor
    Replied almost 12 years ago
    ive been searching for an abandoned home myself.
    Joey Marino
    Replied over 11 years ago
    That is a good one. I have been in some nasties, but not that bad. The worst house I have been in was half burnt down and the guy was still living in the other half. Needless to say, it was a horrible run-down shack with an actual tin-roof.
    Joey Marino
    Replied over 11 years ago
    Erik
    Replied over 10 years ago
    My first home was a HUD home I bought in ’99. Just a little 2/1 I could afford as a first time homebuyer. I should mention first that I have horrible allergies and at the time was always completely congested and couldn’t hardly smell anything. The realtor I was working with wasn’t really keen on going in the house while I inspected it, but I didn’t think much of it. I did notice a bit of a smell and thought the house was just old (built in 1895). Being a thorough kind of guy who built forts as a kid I wanted to see all the aspects of the construction. Under the house in the crawl space was the rear-end half of a skunk, hence the smell. Since this was a listed HUD home in active bidding period. I have no idea if it was the previous owner or competitive bidders who placed the skunk in the crawl space. Thankfully the smell diminished and vanished within a week or two once the carcass was removed. Poor garbage men…
    ivan