Landlording & Rental Properties

Managing Tenants Part Three: Written Criteria for Tenant Selection

Expertise:
Success as a landlord depends on screening tenants-weeding out the Naughty and renting to the Nice. Awareness of (and compliance with the Fair Housing Act is not only necessary, but essential to success for any [tag]rental[/tag] business. Adopting a set of written criteria for tenant selection is one of the best (and easiest) ways to [...] View the full article: Managing Tenants Part Three: Written Criteria for Tenant Selection on The BiggerPockets Blog. This content is Copyright © 2017 BiggerPockets, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Find Bad Credit Loan
    Replied almost 12 years ago
    Thanks for the post. It’s really useful. BTW, I like your dog (if, it’s yours….)
    Find Bad Credit Loan
    Connie Brzowski
    Connie Brzowski
    Replied almost 12 years ago
    Thanks 🙂 Yes, that’s my pup, JoJo. Josh likes photos with articles and I’m digitally challanged~ leading to random doggie pix on non-canine related blog posts. Reply Report comment
    Joshua Dorkin
    Replied almost 12 years ago
    I actually love all the dog pics! They keep my wife and I laughing. Reply Report comment
    Joshua Dorkin
    Replied almost 12 years ago
    I actually love all the dog pics! They keep my wife and I laughing.
    Joshua Dorkin
    Replied almost 12 years ago
    I actually love all the dog pics! They keep my wife and I laughing.
    Joshua Dorkin
    Replied almost 12 years ago
    I actually love all the dog pics! They keep my wife and I laughing.
    Joshua Dorkin
    Joshua Dorkin
    Replied almost 12 years ago
    I actually love all the dog pics! They keep my wife and I laughing.
    Richard Warren
    Replied almost 12 years ago
    Great post Connie. At first it made me glad that I used a property manager. Then I realized that I have to be sure my property manager is doing all of that. (Sigh) A landlords work is never done!
    Steven Boorstein
    Replied almost 12 years ago
    Connie, EXCELLENT article. That’s got to be one of the most complete written screening criteria that I have seen. I like the idea of looking at the simple things, like did they show up on time and have the application fee, etc as part of the “points” process. Thanks for some great food for thought! Steve Boorstein LandlordBusinessInsider.com
    Steven Boorstein
    Morocco Property John
    Replied almost 12 years ago
    Excellent as right. Fair play to you for handing this info out for free! Very detailed. Thanks. If you could convert this list in a “flashy” looking piece of computer software I think it would fly off the shelves!
    Atlanta New Home
    Cute dog you got there. Reply Report comment
    Atlanta New Home
    Cute dog you got there.
    theAve
    Replied almost 12 years ago
    Thanks for the great information. As a first-time renter, I find this is an easy straight-forward system.
    Fixemup Terry
    Replied almost 12 years ago
    Outstanding list! I like the “respectful and courteous” category. I’ve never charged a tenant application fee. Doesn’t that scare off a lot of potential tenants? Or, does it just weed out the ones you don’t want to apply anyway?
    Connie Brzowski
    Connie Brzowski
    Replied almost 12 years ago
    Hi Terry 🙂 Doesn’t seem to scare anyone off that’s serious. The fee covers a complete credit report w/ Fico ($15 each) and the criminal records check ($9-$15 depending on how indepth we go. ) I make two copies of the report– one for my records and one for the applicant. Also, I let everyone know that if we don’t run the reports, we’ll return their money. Never had anyone complain so far~ Reply Report comment
    amee massie
    Replied over 11 years ago
    I am currently still in training to become a property manager. I just stumbled across this blog and i think just from reading this first, i think u will keep my interest and i will learn quite a bit on a daily basis. Thank you!!!! Sincerely, Amee Massie, Property Manager EnTown Real Estate Services Reply Report comment
    amee massie
    Replied over 11 years ago
    der78
    Replied about 11 years ago
    Great criteria!!! How would you handle an applicant that has previous rental history where they have only rented from a relative? What is you experience with this?
    Chris
    Replied about 9 years ago
    Wow! What a great way to evaluate a tenant. I will use this points system in a format that I can acquire information from the tenant. Thanks very much for the helpful information.
    lamac66
    Replied over 5 years ago
    That’s a good way of setting criteria. I can use some of that.
    Ayodeji Kuponiyi Investor from King of Prussia, Pennsylvania
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Great post Connie! I’m definitely going to use this. Thanks for sharing.
    Carol Hall from Jacksonville, Florida
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    Thank you Connie! This article was right on time. We’re working on setting up a point system now. The information you have provided has helped us tremendously.