Real Estate Marketing

How to Put Symbols in Craigslist Titles

Expertise:

For those of you who frequent Craigslist, I’m sure as your eyes have scoured the listings they were attracted to the ads that were in CAPS and the ads that had the graphic symbols included in them.  If you’re not sure what I’m talking about take a look at the page below.

I don’t know about you, but symbols such as these are a huge attention-getter.  CraigsList is definitely not the place where you want to blend in, so symbols can come in handy.  That is until everyone starts using them.

The technical term is “ASCII Symbol”, if you use some of the corresponding ASCII codes below in your CraigsList ad titles, you too can have your ads stand out from the masses.

?    ▲
??    &#9654 ▶
?     ▖
?    ▆
?      ♠
?      ♥
??    ♦ ♦
?     ♬

So for instance, the CraigsList title,
“▶ ▶ Awesome 3 bedroom ▶ ▶ 30K Equity ▶ ▶”

will convert to

“??Awesome 3 bedroom ?? 30K Equity ??”

I hope that helps!

Lauren
    Replied about 9 years ago
    Fantastic, thank you! Gearing up for a move, this will be a huge help in shifting all our unloved extras.
    Edwin Brown
    Replied about 9 years ago
    Great info. Craig’s list may be the single greatest invention of the last 10 years for real estate investors. Knowing how to use it to the best of your ability is essential for any investors marketing efforts.
    Dean Saliba
    Replied about 9 years ago
    I’m no expert but I’m going to assume that inserting these little symbols will help your listing stand out from the pack?
    Jeff Kowalczuk
    Replied about 9 years ago
    Great Post Justin! We’ve been using symbols in our craigslist ad titles for awhile, but i had no idea about the ASCII codes. Thanks for sharing! This is good stuff! Using these symbols alone will get your ad twice as many clicks then normal.
    Taylor White, PHD
    Replied about 9 years ago
    Justin right on…never knew how to do those. Does anyone on here use Vflyer to post on Craigs List?
    Taylor White, PHD
    Replied about 9 years ago
    [email protected] real estate
    Replied about 9 years ago
    wow this whole time and its just ascii codes. lol ive been wondering how to do that… thanks!!
    Monica
    Replied over 7 years ago
    I love the ??! Do you know how to make arrows that point the opposite directions? 🙂
    Justin McClelland
    Replied over 7 years ago
    You can google “ASCII code” and you’ll see all of what’s possible.
    Monica
    Replied over 7 years ago
    Thanks Justin!! Reply Report comment
    Monica
    Replied over 7 years ago
    Thanks Justin!!
    GuyManningham.com
    Replied over 7 years ago
    I’ve been looking for these symbols. Thanks for the great list.
    Moe
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    I am in Charlotte NC and always used symbols in my post titles. For the past week I noticed they stopped working. I had a friend preview craigslist on his pc and he also noticed the title symbols are not showing up. It is the end of the title symbols. 🙁
    mike
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    I too have noticed they stopped working and it was a cascade effect. It gradually stopped working on some post and within a 2 week period stopped working on all post. I can only assume that craigslist engineers have found a way to block the use of ASCII symbols. Its strange that they can block symbols that help people to differentiate their listing but do nothing for the idiots that place twenty of the same ads, on the same day! Who are the Craigslist people and what is their agenda? There is no such thing as fairness in advertising because no one wants to be equal. Having an eye popping ad is rule one in advertising, but have people create so many of the same ads in one day about the same thing is just annoying and confusing. I’m still surprised with all the smart people out there that no one had come up with a suitable craigslist substitute. I would be worth millions instantly!
    Kris
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    I just added symblos to an ad and it worked. I wonder how long they will last?
    Kris
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    I just added symblos to an ad and it worked. I wonder how long they will last?
    Kris
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    I just added symblos to an ad and it worked. I wonder how long they will last?
    Eddie Patin
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    Thanks for this. That’ll help. I’ve tried using ascii symbols in Craigslist titles before, but always in the alt+number+number+number method, which always had mixed results. Sometimes Craigslist would delete the characters, or just kill the post. Maybe using these html codes will work better.
    LarryC
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Hi Justin, those are not part of any 7- or 8-bit ASCII. These are Unicode characters. The hex index numbers used here are indexed to the Unicode character set.
    Aaron
    Replied over 4 years ago
    thanks for the signs and symbols listed in this article,\” i will use them in my ads