Real Estate Marketing

Why YOU Should Organize a Local BiggerPockets Real Estate Meetup

Expertise: Landlording & Rental Properties, Personal Development, Real Estate News & Commentary, Real Estate Investing Basics, Business Management, Flipping Houses, Mortgages & Creative Financing, Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice, Real Estate Wholesaling, Personal Finance, Real Estate Marketing, AskBP
Real Estate Meetups

Last Friday night, twenty-nine BiggerPockets members gathered in a trendy Portland, Oregon brewery and engaged in one of the most important events in an investors life: networking.

Sitting around tables shaped like surf boards, we talked about everything from getting started, buying multifamily properties, second mortgages, the ugliest buildings we had ever seen, and the incredible taste of a Chicken-Spinach-Feta pizza.

Sure – engaging on BiggerPockets can do incredible things for your business, but sitting at a table with those you’ve only seen a 1″ photo of before really takes it to the next level. You can grow your knowledge, find potential partners/lenders/buyers/sellers, or get answers to specific questions you’ve been having. The great thing about local meetups is that whether or not you are brand new or have years of experience, these networking events can do wonders for your local investing.

You see – local meetups aren’t like REIAs or clubs. There is no formal agenda, no fee to get in (other than the cost of your drink) and no agenda. The problem with most formal clubs is that the organizer needs to make money, so they partner with the traveling guru to spend an hour pitching a product, then split the profit. You can see where the conflict is in this. With an organically grown, BiggerPockets Meetup – there is no agenda. It’s networking, pure and simple. And it’s fun.

Today’s post is going to be one of my shortest, and I want to just stress one thing:

I want to encourage you to meet with local investors.

Plan local meetups, invite people from the site, and start growing your local network. It doesn’t need to be fancy or formal. I know there are BiggerPockets meetups happening on a regular basis, and deals being made, in a number of cities around the country, so if your local area doesn’t have one – start one! Here are a few tips for starting your own BiggerPockets Meetup:

How to Host a Meetup

1.) Set up Keyword Alerts – One of my favorite features on BiggerPockets is the keyword alert system. You simply enter in words you want to be notified about, and BiggerPockets will email you any time one of those terms is mentioned on the forums. While it’s great for learning about certain topics (turnkey, multifamily, etc) the best value is entering in your local city name so when anyone talks about your local area – you can jump into those conversations. Who knows- maybe your city is already having regular meetups?! So if you don’t have alerts set up for your nearest large city – definitely do that right now.

2.) Start Connecting with Local Investors – Once you have keyword alerts set up, you’ll start meeting new members when they join BiggerPockets. Start building relationships right away by welcoming new members from your area, or start jumping into conversations when people talk about local events. You’ll quickly see who the local players are and you’ll start developing strong relationships.

3.) Just Do It – Finally – stop thinking about it and just do it. It doesn’t need to be fancy – it just needs to get done. Put up a notice on the Forums a month ahead of time, plan a date/time, and @mention everyone you know from your local area. You can choose a brewery like the Portland group did, a Denny’s, or someone’s rehabbed property. It’s really up to you!

What’s stopping you from meeting up with other investors and building your local network? I cannot stress the importance of this enough. I’ll end my rant with a quote from one of my favorite authors, Timothy Ferriss, who said “You are the average of the five people you most associate with.”

Who are you associating with?

Photo: Sean Davis

Brandon Turner is an active real estate investor, entrepreneur, writer, and co-host of the BiggerPockets Podcast. He began buying rental properties and flipping houses at age 21, discovering he didn’t need to work 40 years at a corporate job to have “the good life.” Today, with nearly 100 rental units and dozens of rehabs under his belt, he continues to invest in real estate while also showing others the power, and impact, of financial freedom. His writings have been featured on Forbes.com, Entrepreneur.com, FoxNews.com, Money Magazine, and numerous other publications across the web and in print media. He is the author of The Book on Investing in Real Estate with No (and Low) Money Down, The Book on Rental Property Investing, and co-author of The Book on Managing Rental Properties, which he wrote alongside his wife, Heather, and How to Invest in Real Estate, which he wrote alongside Joshua Dorkin. A life-long adventurer, Brandon (along with Heather and daughter Rosie) splits his time between his home in Washington State and various destinations around the globe.

Mark ferguson
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Great post Brandon. This got me to thinking. I have taught my HUD class at a couple reia meetings. It wouldn’t be much more difficult to host one myself and I could even do it at one of our rehabbed properties for more exposure/marketing.
    Brandon Turner
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Thanks Mark, Yeah I should really do the same out here!
    Lee Richter Rental Property Investor from Midland, TX
    Replied almost 5 years ago
    @BRANDON TURNER as you can see my @ symbol dose not work. Any suggestions?
    Al Bunch
    Replied over 6 years ago
    *cof* http://www.meetup.com/Northwest-Houston-Real-Estate-Investing/ *cof* I couldn’t agree more, some of my best deals and strongest connections have been made from face-to-face meetings, even if those connections have only been maintained digitally over the years, they’re still some of the strongest. Plus… “This is a people business with real estate involved, not the other way around..” -Al Bunch
    Brandon Turner
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Thanks Al! How are your meetups going? Getting some traction?
    Stepine Anfield
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Going a little slow here in the DC, Maryland and Virginia area.
    Stepine Anfield
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Going a little slow here in the DC, Maryland and Virginia area.
    Al Bunch
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Yes, the group is definitely getting traction. Just posted another meetup for 8/8/13 at a local micro-brew pub/restaurant here in Houston.
    Stephine Anfield
    What a great idea Brandon. #3 is just what I needed
    Brandon Turner
    Thanks Stephine! Do it!
    Joseph B
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Great post Brandon. I’m happy that I found this site. Lots of valuable info here. Its exciting to think about my realestate invensting future. Thank for your contribution to my realestate eucation.
    Brandon Turner
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Thanks Joseph! Jump in and start growing!
    Michael
    Replied over 6 years ago
    This is a great idea Brandon!
    Brandon Turner
    Thanks Michael!
    Brandon Turner
    Thanks Michael!
    Jeff S
    Replied over 6 years ago
    It was interesting to observe a Salem investor (Rusty) who is paying low price per unit units connect with Andy who is looking at Portland high price units and compare notes. I hope Josh can find a great priced property in Portland or somewhere else that can get him on his way. Looking forward to seeing Tucker’s Street of Dreams 2 mil spec house. Launa was so impressed with this age group as her kids are in their 20′ and 30’s. Ambition is a beautiful thing and it is alive and well with this group. What will Brandon do next?
    Brandon Turner
    Hey Jeff, thanks! Looks like you were listening! 🙂
    Brandon Turner
    Hey Jeff, thanks! Looks like you were listening! 🙂
    Justin Stamper
    Replied over 6 years ago
    I need to set one up in Orlando,FL. If anybody would be interested in going to our local brewery to talk real estate let me know!! Nothing I like better than cold craft beer and hot deal discussion lol.
    Frank
    Replied over 6 years ago
    I definaitely agree with what was said in this blog. Good advice to spark motivation in anyone who’s trying to get started. Networking is defintely where it is at.
    Jim Della Volpe
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Doe anyone have a “template ” or format that you use and will share in your Real Estate MM Group? We want to start one on Boston’s South Shore. Thanks, Jim
    Al Bunch
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Central location. Friendly atmosphere where you can comfortably hold a conversation. Refreshments available (I prefer adult beverages, but that’s up to you). Invite people with a penchant for real estate investing. Show up, enjoy yourself. Repeat. The rest should take care of itself.
    Kemdrick Jones
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Great post! Thanks Brandon & Joshua for what you all do. Also the podcasts are great! One last thing BP Atlanta went live two days after reading this post. We have our first meeting August 22! Thanks Brandon
    Joshua Dorkin
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Thanks Kemdrick! It is exciting to hear that Atlanta is the latest city to produce a local BP meetup. Be sure to announce it on the forums so you guys can get lots of local folks to come down! I can’t wait to hear how it goes — and be sure to share some pics with us afterwards!
    Devan W
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Hey Brandon, Great article, as always! Any chance of creating a separate section on the forum specifically for the purpose of meeting up with others, by state or region? I’ve been trying to find others wanting to do the same in Florida but to no avail. Any suggestions? I need all the knowledge I can get! Thanks!
    Brandon Turner
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Hey Devan, we are trying to figure out the best method for this, but we haven’t nailed down the exact way to do it yet. But we are thinking the same thing!
    Devan W
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Awesome! Thanks Brandon. I know that would definitely be helpful! Reply Report comment
    Devan W
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Awesome! Thanks Brandon. I know that would definitely be helpful!
    Beth Kroncke
    Replied about 6 years ago
    Great article Brandon. I am an agent looking to start working with an investor and have some key questions not addressed above. 1. I am the listing agent working as a disclosed dual agent. How do you negotiate the best sale price for your seller and best purchase price for your investor? 2. This investor is interested in flipping. Do I need an agreement up front? Thanks, Beth
    Tapan Trivedi
    Replied over 5 years ago
    Brandon, I would like to see what steps are involved in doing this ? Is it just reaching out to the members online or is there a local platform ? Sincerely, Tapan Trivedi