Business Management

5 Tools That Will Save You 5 Hours A Week

Expertise:
5 Tools

FACT: Time is your most valuable non-renewable resource.

Everyday somebody tells me “I don’t have time to do that” or “How do you have time to do everything.”  I work a lot, but I also enjoy everything I do (for the most part).  The reality is you make time for what you think is important.  You might do this consciously or not.  In May of this year I realized I was very behind to getting to where I wanted to be professionally.  So I set a goal to wake-up at 5 a.m. every weekday in June.  You would be amazed at how much you can accomplish between 5 a.m. and 7 a.m. while not checking email and social media.

If you want a less draconian way of being productive, utilize smart tools to systematize and automate your business.

These 5 tools will save you five hours a week at a minimum!  That means an extra 260 hours in the year!!!!!

What would you do with an extra 260 hours!!!

unroll

1.) Unroll.me

My wife told me about this service and honestly if you only utilize one of these tools – choose this one!  It’s the biggest time-saver of them all.  I subscribe to a lot of emails and I love reading them but they can be distracting. Unroll.me has allowed me to create an actual system for going through all of the great emails I get. Every afternoon, Unroll.me sends me a digest of the emails I got in the form on 1 single email. That allows me to take 30 minutes to go through it all at once at a time that works for me.

bufer

2.) Buffer

Social media can be a huge time-suck for people and it’s easy to get lost in it. That’s why I knew I had to figure out a way to scale back the amount of time I spent on social media while still sharing great content. I had been using Hootsuite to schedule posts but it’s not the easiest way to schedule them so that didn’t stick. I came across Buffer and it has totally changed the way I use social media. It let’s me schedule posts to my Twitter account, Facebook page, Google+ profile and LinkedIn profile with the click of a button.

google calendar

3.) Google Calendar

My wife and I both own our own businesses and have several other things we are committed to.   Bottom-line: we live and die our scheduling by the google calendar.  If it’s not on the calendar, I didn’t tell my wife about it.  We don’t even talk about date nights now, we just send each other meeting requests via Google Calendar.

selfcontrol_software

4.) SelfControl (Mac only) or 5.) Freedom

When you don’t have self control, these apps force you to. Both of these apps will block out distractions (like Facebook, email, whatever you choose) for a set amount of time and they will not allow you to access them until that time is up. No more getting sucked into Facebook or Twitter and wondering where all the time went!  Just don’t block BiggerPockets.com – that’s education!

Ansana

5.) Asana

Asana  is a great tool that allows you to see everything that you need to do, are working on and have done already at a glance. It’s incredibly flexible and works like a digital whiteboard. Creating a project for each property you’re working on could be a great way to stay on track.

Summary

Do you have any other tools you recommend for saving time?  Let me know in the comments!!!!

busy_someecards
Photo Credit: HVargas

Dawn Anastasi
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    You send meeting requests for date nights — awesome!
    Sharon Vornholt
    Sharon Vornholt
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    There are a couple of those I’m not familiar with. Thanks for the info Jimmy. Sharon Reply Report comment
    Stephanie Dupuis
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    Bookmarked this article. Getting up early is my best time saver so far. Nothing but the birds and sunrise to distract me. I look forward to trying these other programs/ideas. Thanks for sharing them.
    Penny Isabel
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    So true….time is our most valuable resource…I’m also getting up at 5 and am amazed every day at how powerfully productive this feels. I call it my 5 am passion party 😉 Thanks Jimmy, I’m going to give Buffer a go.
    Joseph Le
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    Jimmy,thanks for the posts. My wife and I use Google calendar the same way you do too. If it’s not on there then we are free. Laundry, errands and any reminders (ie when tenant’s renewal is up, paying tax, etc) all go on here. Will check out unroll.me and buffer for sure. Thanks!
    Levar
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    This is awesome and I plan to implement these immediately. The calendar for date nights is classic and it keeps the fire burning as it gives the impression that we are both still in the courting phase of our relationship.
    Sharon Tzib
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    I tried to switch from Hoot Suite to Buffer as well, but as I recall at the time, could not post pictures, which for a property manager, was a deal killer. Reply Report comment
    Sharon Tzib
    Brad W
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    Instead of using Buffer, unsubscribe from all that spam! Or when you subscribe use folders and automatic filters in google. Subscribe with the email address “[email protected]” and you can set a filter so everything in your inbox with the “+biggerpockets” is sorted out to a separate folder for later viewing. http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2008/03/2-hidden-ways-to-get-more-from-your.html Also I recommend the “Low Information Diet” to increase your focus and control on what matters: http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/10/07/how-big-is-your-circle-of-control/
    Frank O
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    Thanks, this is some good stuff. I’m unfamilar with most of these options. I will give them a try.
    Tracy
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    Where’s the app to have someone come in the bedroom at 8am, turn on the lights, open the blinds, rip the covers off, and shove a cup of coffee in my hand? That alone would add/save me time every week. I’m definitely checking out some of these others, though! I love efficiency tools for real estate, great suggestions. Reply Report comment
    Tracy
    Shaun
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    I assume people that praise getting up early don’t have little kids. The hour from to 6-7am is probably the least productive hour of the day. 🙂
    Matt Buttner
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    Jimmy, Just wanted to thank you for turning me on to Asana. I just started using and and its great for staying organized. I don’t even have a huge team, but its cool to have everything in one place for me to see instead of relying on a notebook. They also have a great iPhone app so I can access everything on the go. Keep up the good work man!
    Shaun
    Replied almost 7 years ago
    I was just looking into Buffer and I don’t see the advantage over HootSuite. What functionality or convenience does it offer over it? The only real difference I can see is that you have to upgrade to a paid account to schedule more than 10 on Buffer while you can do at least several hundred on HootSuite (I actually don’t know if there is a limit at all, but I have over 300 things currently on my free account so if there is it is pretty high).
    Arlen Mark
    Replied about 6 years ago
    Another tools you guys can check out is proofhub. Very easy and effective project management tool. Helps a lot in managing team as well as clients. Give it a go. http://www.proofhub.com