Business Management

Using a Free CRM to Manage Your Real Estate Business

Expertise: Real Estate Investing Basics, Landlording & Rental Properties, Real Estate News & Commentary, Mortgages & Creative Financing, Real Estate Wholesaling, Personal Development, Flipping Houses, Business Management, Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice
CRM Real Estate

A CRM is a software program that is typically used to organize and manage customers for a business. It stands for Customer Relationship Management.

In real estate, many people use a CRM to manage seller leads. Depending on the size of your business, you may or may not think you need a software program to manage this aspect of your business. However, I can tell you from experience that even the smallest real estate company can benefit from using a CRM.

I know historically, many companies would just put any kind of data pertaining to their business in spreadsheets. Over time, these spreadsheets get larger and larger and harder to filter through. While free tools like Google Docs has made it easy to share and collaborate on spreadsheets, I believe that using a true database is almost a better fit in the long run.

What to Track in Your CRM

In my business, we actually use two different CRM’s to track different aspects of our business. Both of the CRM’s we use are free and have been very good tools to help keep us organized.

We use CRM’s to track the following:

• Properties – We have a module set up where we store everything pertaining to each property (closing dates, purchase price, repairs, agent, source, rent status, rent amount … you get the picture). Because we are buying, selling and putting new houses under contract every week, it's imperative that we stay informed on every property. Not a day goes by where we are not updating some piece of information in our CRM to keep us up to date on every property.
  • Contacts – We also store contacts in the same CRM as well. Any investor that we’ve spoken to or sold properties to goes into the database. We can write notes, attach emails, log phone calls, etc. for each contact in the database. There is no possible way that we can remember everything about every investor we talk to … but logging this information in the CRM allows us to have a complete history of our interaction with each investor.
  • Motivated Sellers – We recently set up a new CRM just to track our motivated seller leads. With the large number of leads we were generating and from many different sources, we wanted to try a different program for this aspect of the business. Using a CRM to track seller leads is absolutely crucial for any real estate investor. In our CRM, we track things like name, address, source, motivation level, amount owed, offer amount, etc. Over time this list will become very large …. but will remain a very good source for future deals. Even if a seller says no today, chances are that a percentage of those people will want to sell at some point in the future. Being able to call, email drip and mail these leads in the future often times becomes your best source of deals.

Related: The Dirty Little Secret About a Buyer’s Lists

A Look at 2 Good Free CRM’s

Using two different CRM’s may not be ideal and we will probably migrate to only one at some point in the future, but here are the free CRM’s we use right now that I would highly recommend.

• SugarCRM – SugarCRM is a software company with both a commercial version and an open source version of its application. The open source (or community edition) is completely free and can be hosted anywhere. We host ours for less than $5 a month with one of the big hosting companies … but I know other companies that host it internally and have even done a good bit of custom programming to it. I like this application because its very robust, but also very flexible (okay … I’ll admit that I’m cheap and like the fact that its free too). Through the admin function, you can add and rename fields, add or remove entire modules, integrate your email, use any number of available plugins to communicate with outside applications, etc. While we probably aren’t even scraping the surface of it’s capabilities, it’s been a great tool for our needs.
  • Podio – Podio is a newer, cloud-based software platform that can be used for almost any environment. It’s designed using workspaces where team members can collaborate on different projects. I really like it because it’s extremely easy to customize and has a great webform feature that allows you to set up external webforms that feed directly into the database. We use this with our VA’s who we don’t necessarily want to have access to the CRM, but need to be able to enter data into it. Podio is also free for those businesses with less than 5 users.

For those investors with aspirations of scaling up, keeping good records and staying organized is an absolute must. The days of keeping track of data inside of spiral notebooks or even in Excel spreadsheets is over. With the number of really good free applications out there that can be easily customized to track any information pertaining to your business, there isn’t any excuse to be stuck in the stone-age.

Ken Corsini G+ is the host of the Deal Farm Podcast (on iTunes) and has 10 years of full-time real estate investing experience...
    Michael
    Replied about 6 years ago
    Thanks for the suggestions Ken! I work heavily with databases at my 9-5 job and recently started creating one to manage all of my RE stuff. I never even thought to look for a free option that was already developed. I’m definitely going to check out the options you mentioned and see if either fit my needs.
    Ken Corsini
    Replied about 6 years ago
    Thanks for the post Michael – hopefully one of these programs can help you! Reply Report comment
    Ken Corsini
    Replied about 6 years ago
    Thanks for the post Michael – hopefully one of these programs can help you!
    Mehran
    Replied about 6 years ago
    Great article Ken! Although I have been doing alright with keeping a main folder on my comp for each property and corresponding spreadsheets, etc. I can see that as I scale up and acquire more and more, it would be just so much easier to have it all organized in a program if I could customize it the way I wanted (like you mentioned above). I’m going to look into it! Thank you SugarCRM is the one you use to keep track of your portfolio?
    Ken Corsini
    Replied about 6 years ago
    Thanks Mehran – Yes, we currently use SugarCRM to track property data.
    page
    Replied about 6 years ago
    Nice suggestions. I just started using Basecamp, which isn’t free but has similar functions to Podio. Still playing around with it to see if it works, but I’ll give these a look as well. Thanks for the post.
    Ken Corsini
    Replied about 6 years ago
    Would love to get your feedback on how Basecamp compares to Podio.
    Ken Corsini
    Replied about 6 years ago
    Would love to get your feedback on how Basecamp compares to Podio.
    Alison
    Replied about 6 years ago
    Good article, i will check out Podio. But for now I am very happy with Trello, which is based on the Japanese kanban board concept. It can be scaled, shared, and put on your mobile device and it’s free. Check out http://www.trello.com (I have no affiliation with the software, just a happyuser).
    Joshua Dorkin
    Replied about 6 years ago
    I’m a huge Trello fan as well, Alison.
    Curt Smith
    Replied about 6 years ago
    How does Trello compare to basecamp etc for collaboration between folks (VAs or team members)? Is collaboration different than CRM? To my understanding yes, one manages contacts (CRM) the other activities. Or has these worlds blended. Then which tool to get started?
    Joshua Dorkin
    Replied about 6 years ago
    Curt – Collaboration with Trello is simple. I’m not sure what you need, but most of these CRM and collaboration tools allow you to do a free trial — just test a few out and figure out which you like best. Good luck, Josh
    Brian Gibbons
    Replied about 6 years ago
    OMG Podio has Real Estate “packs” and “apps”!! See https://podio.com/market/functional/65 Thx sooo much! Brian
    Ken Corsini
    Replied about 6 years ago
    It does … but it’s also VERY easy to make your own.
    Grant Fosheim
    Replied about 6 years ago
    Thanks Ken for the great article. I work extensively with CRM Dynamics in my 9-5 and having a free CRM for my real estate is going to do wonders as I begin to scale up my business. I just signed up for Podio and look forward to working with it.
    relady
    I was just looking for it. Love it. Thanks
    Mark
    Replied about 6 years ago
    The other advantage of Sugar CRM CE is that it is open source which means all the code is easily accessible and modifiable. Any good PHP programer can modify it exactly for your operation.
    Ken Corsini
    Replied about 6 years ago
    Good point – I’ve got some friends that have done extensive re-coding to customize it for their needs.
    Ken Corsini
    Susan Cain
    Replied about 6 years ago
    I desperately need to organize all my information. I recently moved and lost a lot of contact info when my email account was deleted. At my age, I really shouldn’t have to rely on memory. So far, I’m okay. But I will definitely check out Podio. Thanks so much Reply Report comment
    Susan Cain
    Adrian Tilley
    Replied about 6 years ago
    Ken, Thanks for this great, and very specific, post.
    Curt
    Replied about 6 years ago
    I googled: compare podio vs trello this link was in the line up. It also compares (suspiciously) proworkflow http://www.getapp.com/compare/task-management-software/podio-vs-trello Other tools are listed at the bottom of the above getapp page.
    Micki McNie
    Replied about 6 years ago
    To throw one more into the mix, I use Insightly (free version, you can pay as well and they are introducing a single user option soon) http://www.insightly.com. It is the only CRM I have ever been happy with, especially since it integrates magically with Gmail/Google Apps so I can sync contacts or create tasks/projects/etc right in my email (which is where I am most of the time). Check it out!
    Shane
    Replied about 6 years ago
    In my opinion the best free CRM for realtors is Bitrix24, if you work in a team, and NimbleCRM, if you are a solo realtor.
    Shaun
    Replied about 6 years ago
    Good information. I am still in the “it can all be done in excel” stage but I want to find a better long term solution before it is a problem. I’ll definitely look into these and some of the ones in comments. Anyone use ZOHO? I haven’t but it was recommended by a colleague and wanted to see how it compares with these other ones.
    Dennis Lanni
    Replied about 6 years ago
    I used zoho about 3 years for managing buyer lead (when retail buyers were hard to find). I set it up with form submissions & it worked amazing.
    Kandee Gilbreath
    Replied almost 6 years ago
    Hi Ken Corsini, This is very knowledgeable article because how simply you connected the regular CRM terminologies with the real estate key words. great knowledge. Actually we used this method as an crm expert while recommending crm to our re clients. Real Estate clients will ask we need that , we need this like that … the conversation will go like this… but I shall easily convince them with your method. But with zoho crm and salesintegra crm we can easily change the label as you mentioned and the zoho and salesintegra crm will easily fir into the real estate business sector. Great article
    Jim Pappas
    Replied over 5 years ago
    Individual agents can use a free Google account or a Google Apps for Business account ($50/year) to manage contacts, tasks, listings and transactions. For teams Solve CRM integrates with Google Apps for Business at $39/mth for 3 users. Google for real estate is the way to go for a complete business management system that works for real estate!
    Jack Aduwo Investor from Lehi, Utah
    Replied about 5 years ago
    I like SugarCRM, i have used it open source version for a while. I really like their user forum (SugarForge) where you i can interact and collaborate with other SugarCRM peeps. I have tried other open source CRM but i prefer SugarCRM because in my opinion, it is one of the most stable open source CRM and by being open source it means i have more control . In case you are wondering what other open vs non-open source CRM out there, then check this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_CRM_systems . Note that the license column tells whether it is open source or not. Open source has AGPLV or GPLV By the way my most preferred non-open source CRM is SAP CRM and then second fev is Salesforce…..just in-case you’re wondering
    ShanelaDanu
    Replied about 4 years ago
    Citrix is shutting Podio down as stand alone product and as far as free CRM go, Bitrix24 is MUCH better than Sugar IMHO. At least as far as options for realtors go – phone calls, email marketing, etc.
    Kris Freeberg Vendor from Bellingham, Washington
    Replied about 4 years ago
    Citrix is shutting Podio down? Can you elaborate? Thanks.
    ShanelaDanu
    Replied about 4 years ago
    Rick Santasiere Real Estate Broker from Granby, CT
    Replied about 4 years ago
    Ken, this is awesome! Another member found this and shared it with me as a result of a post I put out there struggling with what to use for my extremely small property management company. I am finding it difficult to manage my 18 units and stay organized enough to where I am not wasting time on silly administrative work. I truly want to scale my property management even more, and I want to cater to the “little guy” as well. the big PM companies don’t want to deal with SFR’s condo’s, and small MFR’s, so I would like to start to support that demographic and build up on it. In CT more people are leaving than coming in. My vision is to capture a nice % of investors who either couldn’t sell (or love real estate too much as a buy and hold investment) after they relocate to another part of country or world. Your advice is wonderful. Would love to reach out to you and chat further if you have time some time over the next few months.
    Pete
    Replied about 4 years ago
    Both Podio and SugarCRM have very limited free options. Best free fully featured CRM for RE is Bitrix24 IMHO.
    Julia
    Replied about 4 years ago
    Any experience with REI Blackbook – NOT free – but welcome feedback about pros/cons. Reply Report comment
    Julia
    Replied about 4 years ago
    Julia
    Replied about 4 years ago
    JC
    Replied over 3 years ago
    We use Reiance.com for managing our pipeline. We acquire multifamily properties and we put all of the properties there. It has worked pretty well for us. It is a truly real estate centric CRM – it show properties on maps and you can search by address, etc. it has been very helpful.
    Peter Graves Rental Property Investor from Chicago, IL