Landlording & Rental Properties

Does Allowing Pets in Your Rentals Make Sense (or Just Scents)?

Expertise: Business Management, Mortgages & Creative Financing, Landlording & Rental Properties, Real Estate Investing Basics, Personal Finance, Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice, Commercial Real Estate, Personal Development, Real Estate News & Commentary
couple at home

To be quite honest, in my close to 30 years in property management, I’ve never had a problem with pets. My problems have always been with the pet’s owners.

For example, it’s usually not the pet who doesn’t change the litter box, and it isn’t the pet’s idea to have eight dogs in one apartment. Yes, that has actually happened to me. I bought a duplex once with two one-bedroom units, where I inherited a tenant with one dog who suddenly had a record-setting eight pups.

The funny thing was that my tenant decided she wanted to try and keep them all. People are crazy. Obviously, the idea of turning a one-bedroom apartment into a kennel didn’t work out very well.

No Pet Policies

I’ve heard many of the super landlords talk about how they have these “no pets” policies; they’re the type with zero tolerance. One guy I know claims he walks through his apartment building unannounced with a dog whistle trying to catch unsuspecting tenants. This may be taking it to a new level, but I do agree to a point.

Related: 4 Things to Check Before Allowing Pets in Your Rental Property

I have a no pet policy, too, especially if I have a newer unit that’s in high demand or a unit that’s just been renovated with a lot of new carpet and flooring. Other than a seeing-eye dog, my first inclination is “no pets.”

When Pets Make Cents

Still, there are scenarios when pets can actually make you money. For example, when I’m looking at a rental property to purchase, one that has a strong pet odor can be bought at a good discount.

There are ways to get rid of the odor in most cases, whether that’s removing the carpet, sealing the floor, or using a product like OdorExit to mask the bad smell. It’s pretty rare that you would have to replace wood, as you can usually encapsulate it, or in other words, seal it off. Anyone who’s done a fire restoration job would know what I mean.

There are some other scenarios that make sense, too. Maybe you have a property that’s tougher than normal to rent or isn’t in the safest area. Maybe you can charge a pet deposit or a monthly fee.

If you catch a tenant with a pet, this may be a good solution. If the unit had a previous tenant with a pet or the carpet is on the way out, maybe pets would work out okay in this scenario, and you could get some extra cash flow.

Paying pet fees is not a logical thing; it’s an emotional one. To many people, their pet is a family member for which expenses are considered well worth it.

Know When to Draw the Line

That being said, there are times when we all have to draw line, and for many, the line is at wild animals, reptiles, or dangerous breeds.

Related: Why I Allow Pets in My Rental Properties

Please note that many homeowner and landlord insurance policies will not cover you with these types of situations, so be sure to check with your provider. Also, this is a good reason to explain to your tenant why it may be an unacceptable situation.

And, of course, insurance policies only cover legal activity, so it’s the landlord’s responsibility to stay up-to-date on any municipality or deed restrictions in regard to pets. For example, I have several rentals in a town that banned reptiles after a large snake ate the neighbor’s small dog.

As you can see, it’s a crazy world property managers live in.

So, what’s your craziest pet story? What is your policy when it comes to pets in rentals?

Let’s discuss in the comment section below.

Since 2007, Dave Van Horn has served as president and CEO of PPR Note Co., a $150MM+ company managing funds that buy, sell, and hold residential mortgages nat...
    Bill Neves Flipper/Rehabber from Vancouver, WA
    Replied over 4 years ago
    We always joke that if the previous tenant had pets…… Advertise that the new tenant must have pets. When they show up to look, they say “It smells like HOME!”
    Alia Lysiuk Investor from West Hollywood, CA
    Replied over 1 year ago
    There is a building in (I think) Burbank, CA that only rents to tenants with pets. I love the owner for this. She’s an inspiration.
    William Morrison Investor from Silver Spring, Maryland
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Bill, I like it. Never thought of requiring pets.
    Nicole Carey Investor from Burlington, Vermont
    Replied over 4 years ago
    rather than the breed discrimination* is what I meant to type
    Kevin Siedlecki Investor from Madison, Connecticut
    Replied over 4 years ago
    I allow pets except for the ones prohibited by my insurance carrier. They discriminate by breed because insurance is all about statistics.
    Nicole Carey Investor from Burlington, Vermont
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Allstate doesn’t discriminate against breeds, fyi.
    Chrissy Ertz Real Estate Agent from Philadelphia, PA
    Replied over 2 years ago
    USAA also does not discriminate by breed. (If you are able to use them).
    Nicole Carey Investor from Burlington, Vermont
    Replied over 4 years ago
    As an animal lover and owner of two rescue dogs, I cringe every time I hear “dangerous breed”. I understand the no pet policy, but if you are going to allow some, why not a case by case basis rather than the breed? I know plenty of mellow pittie mixes and plenty of crazy little yappy dogs.
    Susan Maneck Investor from Jackson, Mississippi
    Replied over 2 years ago
    The reason is that insurance companies often exclude certain breeds like pit bulls, rottweilers, chows etc. When it comes to other types of dogs I do it on a case by case basis. I always want to meet the dog in any case. And please, no puppies. I used to require a pet deposit on cats too, but no longer. The tenants with cats never complain about rodents and without a cat, getting rid of rodents can be very expensive.
    Brian Caudill from Oviedo, Florida
    Replied over 2 years ago
    There are ways to get around the exclusion. One is to buy a “Pet liability insurance” policy. The other is to use a company like StateFarm that does not have a list of aggressive breeds. The thing to look out for though is that every state and even county can be different. For instance, StateFarm does not cover some breeds in Ohio and fourteen states and the District of Columbia require owners of dogs that have been labeled dangerous or vicious (or, in some cases, potentially dangerous) to buy pet liability insurance. The 14 states are Delaware, Georgia, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia, and Washington.
    Roy N. Rental Property Investor from Fredericton, New Brunswick
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Dave, Sadly, the need to remove the wood (subfloor even) is not rare enough. We use to allow pets in non-rehabbed units, but no longer. At the moment we are looking at two SFHs we would ultimately tear down and replace with a multi-unit building. Both of these house currently have pets and, since we do not plan on keeping them, we would rent allowing pets until it was time to demo.
    Andrew Weikel Investor from Blacksburg, Virginia
    Replied over 4 years ago
    I’m currently in the process of buying an almost turnkey rental. I’ve spoken with a guy that may be interested in renting it if everything works out. I’ve been trying to figure out what to do as far as charging the himfor his two small dogs. I was thinking somewhere between $30-50/month, and also raising the deposit from the one months rent ($850), to $1000. Thoughts? Recommendations?
    William Morrison Investor from Silver Spring, Maryland
    Replied over 4 years ago
    James, not knowing you base rent, the $30 to $50 maybe ok. We are charging about $100 but it’s on a $1,400 rent. So a little less than 10%.
    Tanya Lee
    Replied over 4 years ago
    No one mentioned barking! I allow pets in a SFR with a $250 per pet deposit. It’s theoretically for outside dogs only, but hard to monitor. When my current tenant isn’t home, sometimes his dog barks for 15 minutes straight, bothering me and neighbors. After 20 minutes it is a misdemeanor and the police can be called, but not a great solution. Best to work with the owner, relocate the dog, muzzle, electric shock collar. Calling the owner on his cell phone when the barking happens is fairly effective.
    Nicole Carey Investor from Burlington, Vermont
    Are you kidding me?
    Nicole Carey Investor from Burlington, Vermont
    Are you kidding me?
    Katie Rogers from Santa Barbara, California
    Replied over 4 years ago
    I love dogs, but I hate dogs that never stop barking. Nicole says, “Are you kidding me?” Nicole, please elaborate.
    Account Closed Investor from San Francisco, California
    Replied over 2 years ago
    I think, shock collars should be written under the animal abuse act! How can you even think of doing such a thing? The world has enough bad stuff going on, why add? You don’t like to have a dog at your place, we don’t! Why inflict harm on anyone, may it be human or animal(I think animals are more humane than humans themselves)
    Dave Van Horn Fund Manager from Berwyn, PA
    Replied over 4 years ago
    I think these numbers are pretty reasonable. Every situation is a case by case basis, and if you need a tenant bad enough some times the deposit alone could be enough. Some landlords try to check out where the prospective tenant is currently residing (maybe by dropping off the lease at their residence) to see how well their place is kept with said pets. Best, Dave
    William Morrison Investor from Silver Spring, Maryland
    Replied over 4 years ago
    The deposit issue can be a state by state or even a county by county limit. And you may have to be separate from the basic deposit. Our County limits the deposit for the renter but allows a separate pet deposit. We use $400 to $500. Now our County also requires we pay interest on both deposits and the deposits cannot be commingled with any other funds. So the tenants we rented to with pets have been ok with it. It’s big enough to provide an incentive for the tenant to take some care. We have had to repair or replace a door using that money. Some keep their dog in the garage say, and dog scratches at the door when left there. Just a side note, the interest rate is set by the county and has been a couple percent higher than the going rate for the last few years and we are required to make up the difference. Thanks “Bank Bailout” zero percent
    Nicole Carey Investor from Burlington, Vermont
    Replied over 4 years ago
    this lady is my hero http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/05/dog-rental-jacksonille_n_5452122.html
    Matt Slakey Investor from Salem, OR
    Replied over 4 years ago
    According to fair housing rules in Oregon, “therapy animals” are not subject to “no pets” and “pet rent” rules. Quoting the Fair Housing Council of Oregon: “For Fair Housing purposes, the terms “assistance animal,” “therapy animal,” “service animal,” and “companion animal” are interchangeable, and none of which should ever be considered a “pet.” “The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) defines a service animal as any guide dog, signal dog, or other animal individually trained to provide assistance to an individual with a disability. If they meet this definition, animals are considered service animals under the ADA regardless of whether they have been licensed or certified by a state or local government. This applies animals that are: “…Providing emotional support.” Doesn’t every (loved) pet provide emotional support?
    Matt Slakey Investor from Salem, OR
    source: http://www.fhco.org/pdfs/articles/CommonQsServiceAnimal.pdf
    Robert Steele
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Is this conversation limited to apartments or does it include SFH’s too? It seems to me that is one of the reasons people rent houses over apartments – so they can have pets. So keep saying “no pets” to all those looking to rent a house as it means more demand for me 😉
    Colin Smith Realtor from Colorado Springs, CO
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Pets are definitely a tricky subject. You know they will do damage to the property, but allowing them also opens up the possibility for more rent and more availability of tenants… Always a tough decision!
    Stephen Haynes from Rocklin, California
    Replied over 4 years ago
    I raise the rent $25 per pet and the deposit to 150% of the rent. Most people are willing to pay the difference.
    Katie Rogers
    Replied over 4 years ago
    When I was a tenant, I always appreciated landlords who allowed pets at no extra cost. I never left an apartment with any evidence there had been a dog or cat. I especially appreciated the landlord who left me raise a guide dog puppy in the apartment at no extra cost. Since so many blind people live in apartments, agencies that provide guide dogs really prefer that their puppies be raised in a similar environment to the one where they will eventually be assigned. On the other hand, I looked at an 8-unit building that allowed dogs, and the smell was horrific.
    William Morrison Investor from Silver Spring, Maryland
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Katie, If asked I might wave the monthly increase for someone raising a guide dog. I have a lab and a Golden before that. I have a friend that raises/trains guide dogs (labs) with his daughters. I was looking for a reject. They seem to fail for being less business than required but still great dogs. I found there is a long waiting list. I got a rescue instead. I would still set the increased deposit. Everyone sounds great when making promises but not always so good in the end. We pay a county set rate on the deposit. I think it’s 4% so not all bad. We have had one tenant for 4 or 5 years. The house is kept better than ours. I would probably think about it with her. But we have a track record. You just don’t have that with a new tenant.
    Thomas Carcone
    Replied over 4 years ago
    We typically recommend that our clients allow pets because it dramatically increases the pool of potential tenants. Surveys show that as many as 90 percent of renters have pets. The key is ensure you screen, screen, screen to find a responsible tenant. This may also include doing a background check on the pet by calling the vet and prior landlords. Extra deposits, where allowed by law, and pet fees provide an extra layer of protection. Be sure you also have crystal clear pet policies outlining expectations for noise, waste disposal, damage, limits on numbers of pets, and other critical issues.
    Dante Pirouz Rental Property Investor from Fort Gratiot, MI
    Replied over 2 years ago
    I don’t agree with this article at all. We always allow pets with a deposit and an extra rental fee per month and this tends to get us more stable and responsible tenants. Pets are like children…a tenant is more likely to pay more per month if they are really responsible and since many landlords don’t allow them you are getting a tenant who really wants to rent with you. We have mostly hardwood floors in our units but we make sure to put in a thick coat of varnish to protect the floors. If there is any damage we charge that on the move out and make the necessary repairs. All around pet lovers like families are more likely to stay long term in our town so I see it as a win-win. I think it all depends on your market and your tenants so saying that pets are all bad is not the right way to approach this issue…it all depends!
    Chrissy Ertz Real Estate Agent from Philadelphia, PA
    Replied over 2 years ago
    It is not fair to potential quality tenants to deny based on breed – if your insurance allows of course. I say meet the dog and judge on a case by case basis.
    Curt Smith Rental Property Investor from Clarkston, GA
    Replied over 2 years ago
    Our entire business model focuses blue collar families with dogs. We put in fences if the house doesn’t have one and specifically say we love families with dogs like labradors etc. We charge a $400 pet fee (non refundable). No dogs on the bad dog list. Some landlords are adding $10-$20/mo per pet on top of a fee (vs deposit). Search in zillow: click dogs vs not. In GA / Atlanta area is 1/3 allow dogs, 2/3 do not. WOW I want to be in the `1/3 and cull for the best families. See my talk I give to landlords on how to target great rentals. Go to my profile down on the right a file I uploaded.
    Katie
    Replied over 2 years ago
    A $400 nonrefundable pet fee is outrageous. I have had pets, including cats, labradors and shepherds, all my life an none of them have caused even $10.00 worth of damage. It is just another way to move more money from the tenants’s wallet to the landlord’s wallet. Pay the cost or get rid of a beloved family member. Just awful. That is what the security deposit is for, damage. The source of the damage is irrelevant. Children cause more damage than pets.
    Kathleen Price
    Replied over 1 year ago
    I don’t think that a $400 non-refundable fee is outrageous. My family and I are renting a 3br high-end apartment that charges $500 (per pet) plus a $25 (per pet) fee per month. I will say that compared to other apartment complexes we have lived in, the quality of the apartments are amazing. People tend to not accumulate a large amount of animals that could cause more damage and create more smells. It also keeps out people who may not necessarily care about the damage their dog/cat may make. I have a dog and I have not, nor have I heard anyone else complain about the fees and I have lived here for years. I have seen those deposits go towards replaced floor boards, carpets, and doors (from scratching) to name a few. They are not extensively bad, but this complex likes each family to move into a “new” home when one family moves out. Depending on how much rent goes for-in certain areas, I could see how keeping the deposit high enough to afford but low enough that it isn’t impossible to pay, can help weed out responsible owners. I have also seen apartment complexes give reduced deposit fees for proof of an adoption, to help out the overcrowded pounds and humane societies in the area. It’s all a preference, but I do think a high deposit is definitely better than no pet at all. It’s totally up to the landlord in the end 🙂
    Kathleen Price
    Replied over 1 year ago
    I’m not saying that’s its not a lot of money. I’m saying $500 seems to be a good fee for our high end place. When that fee is adjusted according to the rent others pay, to be high but not outrageous, it seems to have the same affect. If your rent is $500 then a pet fee of around $200-$250 would have the same affect. Not an arguement, just an observation I have seen. I don’t think that it’s cordial to attack ones living arrangement. I wasn’t saying that the $500 wasn’t hard to pay, because it was. My family of 4 only makes$40,000 a year… I’m saying that I can see why landlords charge that amount. I am also factoring in that our apartment complexes to not discriminate against breeds or sizes compared to every other place in the area for rent. Please no judgements.
    Katie Rogers from Santa Barbara, California
    Replied over 1 year ago
    You lived in a high-end place. That probably explains why you don’t think a $400 nonrefundable pet fee is just hunky-dory. Most tenants don’t have that kind of money to just give away to a landlord.
    Kathleen Price
    Kathleen Price
    Replied over 1 year ago
    And high end in Idaho (1200 a month) is much different than high end in California….
    Katie Rogers from Santa Barbara, California
    Replied over 1 year ago
    Nevertheless, there is no need to charge a non-refundable deposit. The purpose of the security deposit is to cover damages. No landlord would dare charge a nonrefundable fee for kids who arguably cause a lot more damage than pets. A nonrefundable deposit is a just nasty way to line the landlord’s pocket.
    Katie Rogers from Santa Barbara, California
    Katie Rogers from Santa Barbara, California
    Walker
    Replied over 2 years ago
    I love most cats and dogs, but as a long distance landlord, my Property Managers have allowed tenants to have pets 99% of the time without my permission and without deposits. The area I own houses is rife with bad tenants. I have a house where a tenant has had 3 elderly cats who (under 3 separate Property Managers) has kept the cats most of the time in the basement where the laundry is. The cats have used this area as a toilet, for 4 years. To top that, tenant obtained (without permission) an American Pit Bull. I have only found this out by my Contractor who tells me that the dog is not toilet trained and pees on the carpet in front of him. I asked the PM to make sure tenant has renters insurance and to scan me a copy of the certificate, as advised by my insurance broker. That has never appeared. Thankfully, tenant is moving. How do we get rid of the terrible cat pee smell that has penetrated the earth and cement in the basement. There is a product from Atlanta Georgia, that has been suggested, the basement is saturated with and then covered with black plastic for a few hours, and then repeated. This house will be unrentable/unsaleable until the cat stench is removed. Grateful for any known remedies.
    Sarah
    Replied over 2 years ago
    IDK if it works for pet urine, but I had a house sealed and an ozone machine that got rid of cigarette smoke. The odor came back after a while though.
    Sarah
    Replied over 2 years ago
    My daughter is allowing a roommate with a cat in her new house. She charged her a $300 non-refundable fee (what her former apartment charged) but not pet rent like her apartment that charged an extra $10/month, and “met” the cat. The tenant signed a “pet addendum” to the lease which states basically that if the pet causes any damage just like if the tenant causes any damage that they must pay and repair it immediately and not have it taken out of the general deposit or have the landlord make the repair. It also says that if the pet becomes a nuisance in any way. Like causing repeat damage to the property or furnishings or noise etc. that the owner may ask the tenant to remove the pet promptly. Hope this works as I know cats can ruin carpet, curtains, furniture, and personal belongings (knocking things off the shelves). We also said the owner must keep the litter box in her bedroom.
    Vicki
    Replied over 2 years ago
    We have rented to tenants with pets (dogs or cats only) for 16 years. We remodel all apartments as we add them to our stable. So they all have new hardwood floors, new hallway carpet, refinished woodwork, etc. We are in a fairly fancy marketplace. The worst problem we have had with dogs is a tenant who left little bags of feces right outside the main door to an apartment building “until she was walking toward the dumpster anyway.” She was gone after 6 months when the other tenants shamed her into leaving. That building has 70% dog apartments and 10% cat apartments. We ask prospects if they like pets and are willing to live with them, even if they have none. We meet ALL pets as part of tenant screening. We bring them into our office, let them wander and meet new people. I challenge dogs for dominance by standing over them and looking them in the eye. We are looking for (1) aggressive behavior; (2) eliminating inside (both cats & dogs); and (3) excessive barking when in an unfamiliar environment. Prospective tenants with pets have commented how much they appreciate our technique because they don’t want to live with a badly-behaved pet anymore than others do. We charge a $200 per pet deposit (in addition to a 1.5 month regular deposit). Taking a new tenant into your building is always a risk. We find pets are no bigger risk than people, and take as much care choosing them as people.
    Vicki
    Eric V. Rental Property Investor from Red Bank, NJ
    Replied over 1 year ago
    i love that test! gonna borrow that one! Thanks
    Tessa Dramer from Yakima, wa
    Replied over 2 years ago
    I only have one rental so it is easier to keep an eye on it, but I have always posted in my ad that pets require a non-refundable deposit, references and a pet interview. I don’t really call the references or insist on an interview, but the response to this request tells me a lot about the owners of the pets. I’ve had great applicants show up with printed references and told me about all of them with their dog in tow when they haven’t even seen the property yet. These people are the pet owners I will happily rent to, they are responsible and excited to find a house they can keep all their family members in. I think that most irresponsible pet owners don’t bother to respond to such requests and I have had very little damage (mostly holes in the yard). I also find that this brings me a very good pool of renters that are desirable tenants in general that other properties aren’t getting.
    Joseph Moore Jr Rental Property Investor from Gilberton, PA
    Replied over 2 years ago
    I have a dog myself so animals are allowed in my rentals. The area where I am there is large demand for pet friendly rentals. Will discuss what the appropriate up front fee is to charge with the new property manager. Would manage myself but I travel extensively so easier to have a pm.
    Ryan Marquette from Fargo, North Dakota
    Replied over 2 years ago
    The latest trend in Fargo with this mega quasi-luxury apartment complexes popping up all over is to not only allow pets, but to actually attract pet owners! Dog run on the roof, indoor fake turf for playing, grooming stations, etc. People love their pets and would gladly spend tons of extra money on a nice place that actually encourages pets! Theres a place called 300Lime in Fargo, ND that’s killing it by catering to this niche!
    Jason Barnett Flipper/Rehabber from Memphis TN
    Yet another good piece of advice. Thanks Dave
    Michael Johnson Investor from Sheffield Lake, Ohio
    Replied over 1 year ago
    I allow pets but must be listed, but I invest in mid-level areas and by allowing pets (within reason) get top dollar for my rentals.
    Karen Denker Investor
    Replied over 1 year ago
    I have a couple of things that I do that someone might find useful. I never put carpet in any place that I will allow pets in. Instead I always use a fairly high quality wood look vinyl flooring throughout. I will also use a good quality pain in eggshell or satin on the walls that are easy to wash down. When I interview the tenants I require them to bring all of their cats and/or dogs with them to be interviewed by me also. (I generally do not allow any of the bully breeds or an out of control junk yard dog and I will determine that myself. I do not allow any non-neutered animals. I also inform them of the leash laws in my area and that I will not allow them to ignore them) Before I award a lease I will make an unannounced visit to their current apartment just to check on how they take care of it. I tend to make my final decision based on what I see when I come inside. You can uncover a lot of lies in those first few moments. You can say something like “I was just in the neighborhood and I thought that I would stop by to let you know that I have decided. . .” I have two rescue cats and pets are important to people. I don’t want to deny anyone from having their pets. I generally think that responsible pet owners make responsible renters.
    Chris Schu from las vegas, NV
    Replied over 1 year ago
    Some very emotional posting going on with this topic! Although I’ve had pets myself and appreciate those that have them, the reality for investors/landlords is that all it takes is ONE bad episode of pet damage to eliminate up to half or more of a years profit from a unit. One poster stated: “I never put carpet in any place that I will allow pets in. Instead I always use a fairly high quality wood look vinyl flooring throughout.” Unfortunately, in a pet damaged SFR that I witnessed firsthand suffered two ruined wood doors (solid core) and pealed/curled over vinyl due to dog nails scratch marks and urine. No carpet was involved. Worse yet, the ENTIRE house reeked of pet urine since the tenants never changed the HVAC filter – it was clogged with pet hair. Oh, and said hair also got sucked past the filter and had to be pullout out of vent registers throughout the house. Such neglect often leads to HVAC equipment damage and/or failure. If that happens need I say BIG $$$$ (losses) immediately pour out of the owners pockets??? Sorry, but 6-month check-ups (built into leases) don’t always prevent significant pet damage from being caught in time. Street smart landlords also realize that an animal left alone for even 1/2 day or overnight can be all it takes for a room or part of the residence to get trashed. Sure, rent to those with pets but have a solid contact and upfront cash deposited – just in case.
    Mila Tokmakova from Dania, FL
    Replied over 1 year ago
    Hi, I have a question: what if Landlord saying “no pet” policy, but Tenant has an emotional support animal ( it is not considered as a pet ) , could Landlord still turn him down and will it violate in any way ? Thank you !
    Andrew Syrios Residential Real Estate Investor from Kansas City, MO
    Replied 5 months ago
    In houses: Absolutely. (Although only with pet rent and a pet deposit.)
    Bernie Neyer Investor from Chanute, Kansas
    Replied 5 months ago
    We have a no dog or cat policy. I tell them if it swims or flies, it's okay. We do have limits on the size of aquarium tank though. That said, all of our units have wood floors or sub floors. We are looking at building new, slab on grade duplexes with tile floors. In that case it isn't as much an issue to clean and deodorize the place. We are planning to charge the limit our state allows which is 5% of the rent and allow only one cat or one small to medium dog.