Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice

Why More Seller Education Will Help You Land Deals at the Price You Want

Expertise: Personal Development, Business Management, Real Estate Marketing, Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice, Real Estate Investing Basics
full-disclosure-sellers

People often ask me how I am able to get deals at the numbers I do. There is no secret to it, beyond simply thinking of the transaction from their point of view. The more you educate, the less it leaves for them to decode, and the more likely it is you are to get the deal at the price you want.

I know some people will grimace at this, but I always lay out exactly what my projected profit is on any given house and show it to the seller. I have some colleagues who purposefully try and hide or bury the numbers so they don’t shock the seller. I will explain the how and why in more detail here in a bit. Whatever your exit strategy is, frame it in a way that makes sense logically for a potential seller, and you will be well on your way — but first you need to make sure you are the investor that motivated sellers want to contact.

Be Comfortable Being Uncomfortable

In real estate there is a saying if you don’t feel uncomfortable with your offer, then you’re offering too much. Heck, I know an investor who ran his numbers on a house, and there was a multiple offer situation. The seller ended up selecting his offer – but he felt so guilty about his original numbers that he bumped up the price by adding another $10k on top, even though he was now going out of pocket and well over his maximum bid.

Related: 4 Compelling Reasons to Always Follow Up With Sellers

I’m all for giving sellers a fair deal and doing business with integrity, but let’s just say this investor’s profit margins were razor thin to begin with. This goes hand in hand with the other saying in real estate that you make money when you buy. The important point is to not be emotional and overbid like my friend here. Let your numbers set your guidelines and set a maximum offer before you go on the appointment. If the numbers work, they work; if they don’t, there will always be another house.Chris Feltus

Offer Presentation Sheet

When I go on an appointment, I always bring with me an offer presentation sheet. It summarizes the transaction in plain English on a single page, in big font with just the numbers. It’s very easy to read, and I don’t try to hide anything. I show how much money the seller could potentially make IF they wanted to put the time and money into the house to bring it up to retail. So things like escrow fees, repairs (itemized), realtor fees, etc. are all accounted for in the net profit.

It allows them to make a comparison: “I could make X today if I sell as is, or I could make Y if I wait several months and jump through all the hoops necessary to get this thing on market.” And if you are dealing with motivated sellers, guess which option they typically go for? On a side note, if anyone wants an example of the offer presentation sheet that I use, feel free to send me an email.

Napkin Math vs. Offer Presentation Sheet

You have to remember from the seller’s point of view, the average insight they have into our industry is having watched house flipping shows. These shows are highly scripted and dramatized to begin with, and they utilize what I refer to in this industry as “napkin math.”

This is how it usually goes on TV: Joe Investor has a property he bought for $50k, he puts in $20k in repairs, and then they just show a huge pay off at the end, like $70k. Of course, those of us who are more experienced just roll our eyes – even if this was real (and it’s not), none of this is accounting for any holding costs or any of the additional fees I mentioned earlier.

Related: The Simple, Effective Way to Build Seller Trust & Land More Deals

This is the impression the average seller has of our industry – and most of them don’t buy and sell homes regularly enough for this to sink in. If you don’t educate them, then this is the frame of mind they will have. Not only does this educate them, but laying out my offer presentation in this manner really helps bring down the seller’s expectations to reality from TV land and is just another tool in my arsenal that separates me from any other investor who comes in after me.

Another good tip is to show how your net profit is typically spread over 3 to 4 months. When you break up the net profit in monthly chunks like this, people see you aren’t just making a huge chunk of change in one go, but rather over 90+ days. It takes time, and the amount you earn might even be equal to or less than what they do at their full time job, and that really helps put things in perspective.

Take the time to educate your sellers and put everything out on the table — and you might be surprised.

Investors: How do you educate your sellers?

Let me know with a comment!

Chris is an active real estate investor who buys and flips houses in the Dallas real estate market. He enjoys helping others along on their journey. In addition, Chris operates as a licensed Realtor in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

Mark F. Investor from Orange County, CA
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Good article. Another essential ingredient is to find out the “why” behind the sale. Sellers are getting a lot more value than just the price you’re willing to pay for the property, so it really strengthens your offers to incorporate that added value into your offer. For instance, selling to an investor quickly could enable the seller to avoid the embarrassment of foreclosure, get rid of a headache mortgage payment, avoid the financial burden of deferred maintenance, or move quickly to take a job in another city, etc. The dollars paid for the house is not the only benefit. In fact, I would emphasize all the other benefits other than price to make your offers more compelling. To do this, you have to find out the “why” behind the sale.
    Mark F. Investor from Orange County, CA
    Replied over 4 years ago
    When writing “you” and “your” in the above post, I’m not referring to you specifically, Chris, but the reader :).
    Frank Romine from Visalia-Fresno, California
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Good topic. Also when working properties for seller carry rentals present them the cash flow #’s they need to see your cashflow projections presented to them professionally so they have realistic expectations. Frank
    Chuck W. Real Estate Investor from salem, oregon
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Chris, Good article. Would like to get a copy of your seller presentation. Thanks
    James Breedon from Alliston, Ontario
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Agreed, a sample of the seller presentation would be very informative as well
    Jay Johnson from Ruffin, North Carolina
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Maybe this will help sellers understand that you are not trying to “steal the house” but, that you will have to put in a lot of time and money into this property to even hope of making a profit which could be minimal. You could even take a loss if the market changes during the rehab. Maybe, if they understand all the numbers and risks, they may understand your low offer. Still doesn’t mean you’re getting the deal, though. I would hope it would after I do all that explaining! Chris, I would love to have a copy of your offer presentation sheet.
    Lisa DuFaux Investor from New Port Richey, Florida
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Great article! I have always believed in being totally up front about why I have to offer a certain price but I haven’t made it that detailed for the seller. It also makes so much sense breaking it down into a monthly amount…I never thought about doing that but I definitely will in the future!
    Desiree Boston Investor from Hollywood, Florida
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Great Article! honesty goes long way.
    Chris Buerkley Vendor from Richmond, Virginia
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Im brand new,(no purchase yet) and would love a copy of your seller presentation. And, of course, any advice. Thanks [email protected]
    Andrew Bondarchuk Investor from Valrico, Florida
    Replied over 4 years ago
    I agree with the transparency approach. Everywhere you look someone is trying to solicit your business and if you deem them untrustworthy or feel they are purposely omitting information, you would probably refuse to do business with them. Building a reputation as a forthright and honest person can only serve to improve your credibility and ability to network with other honest professionals.
    Joe Hartman Wholesaler from Nottingham, Maryland
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Mr feltusa- could you send me the offer sheet. Thank you.
    Frank Romine from Visalia-Fresno, California
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Joe, Check out some of my letters in the BP fileplace… under Letters. I have some of my seller financed offer letters uploaded. Frank
    Nancy Gaenssley
    Replied over 4 years ago
    I would like to have a copy of your presentation sheet. I think it would be very helpful!
    Robert Dean Investor from Willard, Utah
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Excellent article. I would very much like a copy of your offer sheet.
    Robert Dean Investor from Willard, Utah
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Excellent article. I would very much like a copy of your offer sheet.
    Marvin Cuffee Flipper/Rehabber from Chesapeake, VA
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Frank Enjoyed the article we are all told to be as transparent as we can be when dealing with sellers.This definitely falls in line with that. A copy of your offer sheet would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Juan Carlos Valdes Renter from Houston, Texas
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Great article and thanks for sharing! May I have a copy of your offer sheet?
    Billy Joyner Wholesaler from Jacksonville, Florida
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Great article! Could I get a copy of your presentation sheet? Thanks!
    Josh Rodgers Investor from Kansas City, Missouri
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Great blog post and I had a deal cooking and it was offer time so I decided to walk the seller through the numbers using the flipper calculator report as my “presentation”. Other buyers where meeting with them that day so I opened up with this and walked them through what we planned on doing with the property, how much the Rehab cost was going to be, holding costs, realtor costs, etc… I showed them comps of the area as well to help validate my projected ARV. I left them my offer with the purchase contract and the flip analysis before I left. I received a call later today from the seller letting me know that they chose me because of my honest transparency and how I guided them through the process of the evaluation. I will be doing this for all deals going forward. Thanks for the tip!
    Shaun Reilly Landlord and Rehabber from Newton, Massachusetts
    Replied over 4 years ago
    I like your methodology. Like a lot of people commenting I have never tried to present things so explicitly. I’d also love to see a copy of your sheet to get an idea of what this looks like in action.
    Victor Lopez from Queen Creek, Arizona
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Great post! I sent you an email.
    Jason Genovese Investor from Saint Louis, Missouri
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Hi Chris, You article makes to much cents! I would also like a example copy of your offer sheet. Thanks
    Larry Faber from Knoxville, Iowa
    Replied about 4 years ago
    I enjoyed reading your post. I would like to get a copy of your seller presentation.