Real Estate Investing Basics

Why Investing in Garages Is an Ideal Way to Create Passive Income

Expertise: Business Management, Mortgages & Creative Financing, Landlording & Rental Properties, Real Estate Investing Basics, Personal Finance, Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice, Commercial Real Estate, Personal Development, Real Estate News & Commentary
detached garage painted black with black garage door next to a modern looking house with natural wood siding exterior

My love for investing in garages began a few years after I had started investing in single family and multi-unit residential real estate.

I had taken some real estate courses to work toward my broker’s license, and one of the topics we covered was the highest and best use of property.

What Is the Highest and Best Use of Property?

This concept really helped me to take a step back and look at property with a whole new pair of eyes, including properties that I already owned, was currently looking at, or might pick up in the future.

At first, my motivation was to increase rents. I would look at properties to see where I could add a bedroom. For example, I’ve made a laundry room into a bedroom by moving the laundry hookup into the basement.

I’ve also made an enclosed front porch into a bedroom by adding heat and electric. This was a two-story home that had two apartments, one of them up and one down, so it made the first floor one-bedroom unit into a two-bedroom apartment.

I’ve also made a first floor bedroom out of the kitchen when remodeling a house that needed a new kitchen by putting the new kitchen where the dining room was.

I’ve even put two bedrooms on the third floor of a two-bedroom, one-and-a-half bath house that became a four-bedroom, one-and-a-half bath house. That move alone drastically increased the rent and the value of the property, so you get the idea here.

great-deal

Related: Rental Renovations: Which Maximize Rates & Lower Vacancy – And Which Don’t?

How to Maximize Rents and Increase Values

For me, one of the most valuable strategies for getting the highest and best use out of a property was renting out garages.

At first, I utilized garages in a small way. If I had a row home with a garage underneath the house, I often didn’t include the garage with the house when advertising for rent—unless, of course, they wanted to pay for it. For example, it wouldn’t be unusual to get another $75 a month for renting the garage out as residential storage only.

Next, I started looking for properties with access so I could plant a prebuilt, prefab garage on it. These were always great to rent out to a nearby landscaper or contractor.

Then, once on one of my duplexes that had a large rear yard, I actually built a four-bay garage that I now receive an additional $660 a month in rent for. This ran me approximately $30,000 to build several years ago, and the beauty of garages is that all I have to provide is electric.

Benefits of Garages as Rental Property

Easier to Manage

Obviously, garages are much easier to manage than tenant-occupied property, serving as the tenant’s residence. Maybe you’ve heard garage horror stories, where the guy rents the garage, fills it up with asbestos, and runs away. To be quite honest, I’ve never really had these types of problems.

In fact, it’s been the opposite with my garage tenants. They’ve been very long-term, and they rarely call for anything to be repaired. I actually have a waiting list of prospective tenants who want to rent my garages. Also, if I ever have to evict a garage tenant, when I go to court, the District Justice has little sympathy since it’s not their primary residence.

tax-strategist-cpa

Related: BP Podcast 138: Self Storage, Systems, and SEO with Michael Rogers

Larger Scale Storage Centers

Later on in my career, I raised capital to purchase storage centers, which are another great vehicle for owning cash flowing real estate without having to deal with as many tenant issues as you would with residential rentals. The beauty of larger commercial pieces is that the value of the property tends to be based more on cash flow than nearby comps.

As I’ve gotten older and wiser, I’ve drifted more into the types of real estate investments that are easier to deal with. Whenever there are people involved, the problems seem to be just around the corner.

So, who on BiggerPockets likes garages as much as I do? And why or why not?

Let me know with a comment!

Since 2007, Dave Van Horn has served as president and CEO of PPR The Note Co., a holding company that manages several funds that buy, sell, and hold residential mortgages nationwide. Dave’s expertise is derived from over 30 years of residential and commercial real estate experience as a licensed Realtor, a real estate investor, and a fundraiser. As the latter, Dave has raised over $100 million in both notes and commercial real estate. In addition to his investments and role as CEO, Dave’s biggest passion is to teach others how to share, build, and preserve wealth. He authored Real Estate Note Investing, an introduction to the note investing business, helping investors enter the “other side” of the real estate business.

Christopher Moran from Pueblo, Colorado
    Replied about 4 years ago
    Awesome! I’ve been thinking about doing the same thing. What kind do you recommend for a prefab garage?
    Replied about 4 years ago
    Hi Christopher, Thanks for the kind words! I’ve done a few different set ups but I’m not positive on all of the exact brands of prefabs: – Initially I used an 84 Lumber kit which came with a plan that I took to the township for approval. So 84 Lumber dropped off the materials for a stick-built garage to my property. They gave us the plans, lumber, the trusses (the only thing that came per-assembled), and other materials and we had someone put it all together. – My one set of garages were located not far from Lancaster, PA so we would use Amish construction workers who made prefab garages that they would drop off. – I also used a friend’s company that would combine both the stick-build and preassembled model where they would bring in pieces of the garage in sections and assemble it onsite. This was great for instances where there was obstacles that would prevent fully built prefabs from fitting in there. I’ve also looked into pole (metal) barns too but haven’t used them as of yet. What you’re building the garages for and what they’ll house will help dictate what materials you’re using to build/the type of prefab you set up. Best, Dave
    Julie Moran Investor from Arlington, Texas
    Replied about 4 years ago
    We are listing for rent a 2400 sq ft SFR totally updated. In addition to the attached 2 car garage it has a detached 2 car garage in backyard accessible by driveway. How can we position / separate the detached garage to get more rent ? Pricing ? Wouldn’t it devalue house rent if the garage was rented to a separate renter ?
    Wesley Emison Investor from Knoxville, Tennessee
    Replied about 4 years ago
    What advise can you provide on the best way to get through the permitting process on setting up a garage on a property. I like the idea but have you ran into municipalities where building a garage on the premises is not easily approved?
    Replied about 4 years ago
    Hi Wesley, In my experience, I initially thought to set up the garages as commercial properties. There was so much red tape, fees, etc. that I quickly learned it’s much easier to propose garages as a residential add-on to get through the permitting process in a fast and easy manner. Best, Dave
    Brandon Kelly Developer from Maple Valley, WA
    Replied about 4 years ago
    This is something I’ve looked into doing as well, but where my roadblock lies, is if someone wants to store a vehicle in the garage… …if they don’t pay their rent, I can’t just up and sell the vehicle. The title isn’t in my name. Whereas, “stuff” they store doesn’t carry title, and can be sold (or tossed). The vehicle would simply have to be towed out, and impounded? Thoughts? Assistance?
    Ion_christopher DiMeglio Real Estate Professional from Redwood City, California
    Replied about 4 years ago
    Okay, so your local RE attorney is the best guide but a tow-service can impound the car and deal with the lien sale. Just make sure you’re covered in the contract.
    Replied about 4 years ago
    Hi Brandon, I agree with Christopher. I’ve fortunately never had the problem of having to evict someone with a vehicle. I know it’s state/county specific, but my advice would be the same. Best, Dave
    Christopher Moran from Pueblo, Colorado
    Replied about 4 years ago
    You’ll probably lose a few months rent by the time you get a court order to remove the car. That’s the cost of doing business. So, start the court proceeding soon after they don’t pay. That, and require a decent credit score in the first place.
    Michael Rogers Certified Public Accountant from Chattanooga, Tennessee
    Replied about 4 years ago
    Very interesting. So what would say the biggest differences are between renting garages vs. renting self storage units?
    Replied about 4 years ago
    Hi Michael, I think the biggest difference is that there’s more demand for the one-off garage for someone who runs their own small business. Garage renters are usually getting more bang for their buck with more space for less cost, which probably lends into the higher demand. I also think storage centers have more rules and are stricter with credit on tenants. I’m usually more lenient with that because when you go to court over a garage, it usually boils down to the judge asking them: “did you pay the rent? yes or no?” There isn’t the same kind of sympathy for garage tenants like there is for apartment/home rentals. Best, Dave
    Aaron Mazzrillo Investor from Riverside, California
    Replied about 4 years ago
    Love the idea and have been doing it on my multifamily properties for years.
    Matt R. from Sherman Oaks, California
    Replied about 4 years ago
    Garages are great in LA. I have even rented them out on houses I was renting. I currently rent a carport for $125. Don’t forget about those too.
    Replied about 4 years ago
    Matt R. That’s a great point! I’m jealous, wish I had a carport to rent! Best, Dave
    John D. from Fremont, California
    Replied about 4 years ago
    Are you saying you use the garage as a bedroom or is it just a storage unit? If as a bedroom, don’t you need to comply with city requirements requiring closet and windows?
    Replied about 4 years ago
    John, I’ve only had a garage be used as a bedroom in one instance but that was because that was already in the house when i bought it. The bedroom already had closets and windows in place. Best, Dave
    Patrick Desjardins Real Estate Investor from Amherst, Virginia
    Replied about 4 years ago
    Hey Dave, Great insight that I’d put in the “maximizing cash flow” category. Maybe you should go a bit more into the practical details in how to use this strategy to maximize cash flow (and other tips I’m sure you have). Did you select these properties with that goal in mind of adding a prefab building? Are these in suburban areas? Did you come up with a rate through trial and error? That would make for some great and very different articles.
    Replied about 4 years ago
    Hey Patrick, Thanks for the response! The first place I built garages was in a suburb and I actually lived in the residence before building them and had no intention of putting them there. It wasn’t until I moved out that I realized there was no cashflow coming from the large back yard. So that’s when I had the idea to use it. Now it’s always a consideration. As for the rate, I came up with that from my experience as a property manager and Realtor. But you could look into other comparable garage rentals online for prices based on square footage. The biggest thing I left out in the article is the advantage of the higher appraisal. My first property with added garages appraised for more than double than it did without them. So when refinancing, that can be a pretty positive thing. Best, Dave
    Michael S. Helton Real Estate Redeveloper from Reno, NV
    Replied about 4 years ago
    I had never even considered this before. Now, as look for new properties I will keep some of these ideas in mind as possible income sources. Thank you Dave!
    Allen Chambers Real Estate Agent from Grove City, Ohio
    Replied about 4 years ago
    What an awesome idea.Makes me feel kinda dumb for not doing this type of thinking. Thanks for the blog post.
    Wesley C. Investor from Knoxville, Tennessee
    Replied about 4 years ago
    One obstacle I see is that there are only so many people looking for garages, so marketing is important. Can you tell us how you market? Thanks for sharing this strategy with us.
    Replied about 4 years ago
    Hi Wesley, Good question. It depends on the size of your network. Although I did put a few ads on Craigslist here and there, most of the time I just rented out the garages by word of mouth or through my regular property management company. Since I used to work as a painting contractor, I knew a lot of contractors, who often need storage. Property management companies may need storage for maintenance supplies. You can also help out other real estate investors, as many rehabbers need storage for their equipment. Best, Dave
    Jay Kadlec from Grand Rapids, MI
    Replied 7 months ago
    Does anyone ever use the garage for business activities? Say the painters contractors who rent it out setting it up as a painting shop? Does that pose as problem since it’s zoned as residential? Thank you for posting btw, great thing to consider!
    Steven Wiltz Landlord from Port Orchard, Washington
    Replied about 4 years ago
    This is very intriguing. I have a couple of large lot residential rental properties, zoned commercial, that I have been agonizing over milking more cashflow out of. I think this is it. Do you have any other collected information on garage investing?
    Replied about 4 years ago
    Hi Steven, I don’t know of much information available on garage investing, besides what I’ve learned through trial and error, although garages and storage centers may be covered in some commercial real estate courses. But, I do know that there are real estate brokers, who specialize in certain things (i.e. RV storage, boat storage, regular storage centers, etc.). Best, Dave
    Thomas A. from Eagle River, Alaska
    Replied about 4 years ago
    Have you thought about building a garage for folks who have cluttered garages at their house and need to repair a car or maybe come use it as a temporary work shop?
    Replied about 4 years ago
    Thomas, I’ve never designed a garage for anyone in particular, but a standard garage can suit most people’s needs. If someone wanted to do auto body work in the unit, for example, it really should be zoned commercial. Hope this helps, Dave
    Steven Wiltz Landlord from Port Orchard, Washington
    Replied about 4 years ago
    Then you’ve got gas & oil & crap to deal with… Maybe if there’s no drains, just kitty litter… hmmm
    JP Hill
    Replied about 4 years ago
    Great ideas. I’ll consider this when I evaluate a purchase.
    Amit M. Rental Property Investor from San Francisco, CA
    Replied about 4 years ago
    Can you give us some details on the contracts that you use and how you qualify people? I actually demand credit report, pay stub, and car reg. + insurance. It seems like a PITA but there is liability in storing a car, and I want to deal with honest people. Also how about payments? I try to get people to pay 3-6 months in advance, as getting small amounts monthly is a PITA. Overall, it is a PITA dealing with several separate garage rentals and coin op laundry (I have one as a pilot study, but will be adding it to two more buildings.) at least with the laundry I can collect all machine coins the same day, plus I found a bank (bless their soul!) that will just weigh the coin bag. Putting hundreds of quarters in those paper coin wraps totally sucks! But at the end of the day, I will be getting an extra $1400 a month form these little profit centers, which are all extra income. So it’s worth it, but I’m trying to make it as hassle free as possible. Appreciate any tips you and others may have. Cheers!
    Replied about 4 years ago
    Hi Amit, Thanks for your comment! I was using a regular residential lease, and today my property manager screens the renters as she would with any other residential tenant. I understand the annoyance of collecting the smaller payments. Have you considered making it quarterly payments instead of monthly? Also, many banks and stores have a machines to count coins, where you don’t have to wrap it up and no one has to weigh it. Might be something to utilize. I hope this helps! Best, Dave
    Thomas A. from Eagle River, Alaska
    Replied about 4 years ago
    I was thinking that I’d have the users pay a membership to use the garage. There would be a card key so you could use it any time of the day and they would have to clean up the place when they’re done. There are definitely some liability issues to think about.
    Replied about 4 years ago
    That sounds like a creative strategy Thomas. I’ve never heard of anyone doing that. My cousin rents a vacation home where he can change the access code remotely from his computer or tablet. That might be useful in this scenario.
    Greg Hering
    Replied 12 months ago
    There is a place locally that has workshop with woodworking and welding equipment. It operates as a non-profit but it uses the monthly membership model. If you are renting just the space, it seems like you would have to have a systems to reserve timeslots. Otherwise you could have three people show up at 9a.m Saturday. You would also have to define “clean up”. Putting used oil in the trash would be “clean up” to some. To you, “clean up” better mean haul the oil off the property with it their responsibility to dispose of properly. If not, you have just bought environmental liability. The concept could work but you are moving away from a real estate transaction to an automotive sector business plan
    Josh C.
    Replied about 4 years ago
    I recently purchased an old car wash with plans of flipping into more of a shop to run my business out of. I put new metal across the front of building, enclosing the wash bays, with a walk door and windows and roll up garage doors on back of bays. I plan to keep one bay (there are 3) for my self and connect the other two from the inside and rent that space of 2 bays out. Also, my business is a sign & design business, so whoever rents out that space I will provide a free sign for their small business. Any more thoughts or loops I’ll have to jump through in order for this to work? There is sheet metal between the bays…firewall?? Car wash bays can be separated into garage spaces! 🙂 Thanks!
    Replied about 4 years ago
    Hi Josh, Great plan! It sounds like you’re getting creative with a commercial space. I’m not so sure about the Firewall. I wasn’t required to put one in, but then again there was no one living in the building. Also, it may be more of a local code. You may also want to consider trying to separate the utilities if at all possible to save extra money. Good luck. Best, Dave
    Nancy
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Hello Dave Van Horn, Renting out the garage is a great idea. Our first rental property has a detached garage, which this theory could be utilized easily. Thanks
    Replied over 3 years ago
    Thanks for commenting Nancy. And I agree! Once I realized what a great source of income they were, I built more. Best, Dave
    Mike Parelli Real Estate Broker from Greenwich, CT
    Replied over 3 years ago
    There is a huge need for parking in Port Chester, NY. I’m thinking even the smaller investor can make some good dollars. There are large developments and money flowing in. Anyway great article and thank you for sharing.
    Mike Nelson Investor from Oak Park, Illinois
    Replied over 3 years ago
    I had a two-car garage built at the rear of my two-flat in Wicker Park and rented out both spaces for $300/month and paid it off in three years. I was lucky to get a great tenant across the alley. I just had one of the larger garage builders tear down the old garage and build new. They did everything construction wise.
    Roy Seaberg from Dayton, Tx
    Replied over 2 years ago
    When I saw the title I was actually thinking the big commercial parking garages. The ones that are several stories tall. I am not sure how you would make money from them. A lot of them are free parking but I have seen some where you have to pay like hospitals. You are charged by the hour I think. Never mind you already have to cover the bills from the doctors then have to cover parking too. I have heard about people owning a parking space in places in New York and not use them while renting it out for crazy money like 20 thousand a year or something. Usually I think the people that own the spaces it’s part of the apartment they live in and they walk or bike and don’t need it so rent it back out. If you have any insight on investing in parking spaces and/or commercial parking garages that would be cool.
    Roy Seaberg from Dayton, Tx
    Replied over 2 years ago
    Jade Atkinson from Auckland, Auckland
    Replied about 2 years ago
    Storage is big business in Australia and NZ. In Sydney in particular, competition has driven down prices to store stuff long term. My family in NZ still has a storage unit in Sydney that we pay AU$129 p/m. Until my grandfather decides to move back to NZ (he is still working over there) and we ship everything to Auckland.
    Replied about 2 years ago
    Interesting to see it works in all parts of the globe! Thanks for reading Jade. Best, Dave
    Katie
    Replied about 2 years ago
    I don’t really get the concept. The people living in the house expect to use the garage for their own car.
    Replied about 2 years ago
    Not always the case, in my experience. I’ve had many tenants without cars or a need for a garage. Plus like I mentioned, the prefab garages on properties with a underutilized outdoor space isn’t uncommon either. But the concept of the article isn’t what tenants expect or even garages specifically . The main takeaway that I intended for readers was for them to think about the “highest and best use” of a property and how you can get creative to generate more cashflow/value. Garages were merely just one example. Thank for reading. Best, Dave
    Kevin Dickson SFR Investor from Denver, Colorado
    Replied about 2 years ago
    When it comes to construction projects, garages are the easiest to get permitted. The local “Budget Garage” contractor can get the permit in one day. For a house or an addition to the dwelling space, this is taking 6 months in Denver. Xcel Energy is a bureaucratic mess, so it can take 6 months to get the electricity hooked up though. Another tip: coordinate with your plumber, and add a “sewer cleanout” in or near the garage. That makes it easy to dump the tanks on a RV. Backyard cleanouts are now required by most codes and are alway convenient to have because it prevents having to pull a toilet to run the line. In a pinch, an RV can be parked in the garage and used for temporary housing. For that reason, always specify an eight foot tall garage door. Careful though, RVs that will fit through an eight foot door are kind of rare.
    Replied about 2 years ago
    You bring up a good point Kevin! Forgot to mention, I did go with the higher oversized doors when I was building (and I also had a reinforced concrete floor put in to handle heavy vehicles). I also had attic space put in as well. If you choose to go the residential storage route, the building requirements are can dramatically be more lenient in most jurisdictions. What’s cool is these little things can open up your garages to more types of tenants. So it can definitely pay to think it through before construction. Best, Dave
    Katie
    Replied about 2 years ago
    Roadtreks are 8’3″ so if you want to park an RV in a garage, you should probably have 8’6″ of clearance, not a mere 8 feet.
    Kevin Felmlee Investor from Harrisburg, PA
    Replied about 2 years ago
    Hi Dave, I just had a question about your comments on “Maximizing” space in a rental such as converting dead space into another bedroom. I was considering this. I have a lot of duplex’s that have “open attic space” that could easily be a 4th bedroom. But my concern is would I be encouraging other issues with the large family tenants? I know some landlords love 2 BR units because they typically get couples or roommates vs 4 adults, uncles, nephews etc living there. So would like to hear your opinion on this thought too. thanks again.
    Joseph M. Investor from Norfolk, Virginia
    Replied over 1 year ago
    Thanks Dave, I’ve been renting out my garage for about 6 years now and haven’t had too many difficulties. The money that I made off of renting it allowed me to not only replace, but also extend my driveway for two additional cars as well. I currently rent it out to a older gentlemen who is storing a classic car he doesn’t want to leave outside. I think its a overlooked money making opportunity and I will definitely look to repeat this again on the next property I purchase.
    Michael Baum from Olympia, Washington
    Replied over 1 year ago
    If building from scratch, going with a 10 ft wall and a 9ft door is usually a small percentage over 8 ft.
    Kevin Girouard Investor from Nashua, New Hampshire
    Replied over 1 year ago
    Great insight…I’m purchasing a duplex and it has a 30×40 cinder block garage…I’m thinking about renting space for vehicle and motorcycle storage…or do you think rent the whole space to one person? Or try and fill it with a few individuals .. thanks
    Russell Gronsky Flipper/Rehabber from Baltimore, MD
    Replied over 1 year ago
    Great idea. Definitely another income stream to consider. Thanks for sharing.
    Tina Huffman from Napa, CA
    Replied over 1 year ago
    Creative REI – I like it. I have a large storage unit with two bays attached to my garage that I could rent if I made them a little more secure. I’ve considered it in the past, but this makes me think of seriously doing it. Small scale house hacking!
    Steve Mitchell
    Replied over 1 year ago
    I live in the beautiful state of California, where illegals are legal, and need cheap housing. My friend bought a 3 bedroom home with a two car garage. Now he has a 5 bedroom house without a garage and puts bunk beds in all the rooms (2 in each room) and rents them out by the bed. Great money and no taxes. Just have to keep the neighbors happy.
    Katie Rogers from Santa Barbara, California
    Replied over 1 year ago
    Illegal immigrants are not legal in California, but you are correct that there are a lot of slumlords like your friend in California.
    Kevin Moules Rental Property Investor from Turlock, CA
    Replied over 1 year ago
    This is such a great idea! Just starting out on my REI adventure and this will allow me to look at properties a little differently that have detached garages. Thank you!
    Mike Spero from Kansas City, Missouri
    Replied 12 months ago
    Dave, I’m looking at a 10 bay carwash, all the equipment has been taken out, it’s just the shell, good roof and brick walls. I was looking into making it a storage rental, but a garage rental sounds like better income. What are your thoughts? Thanks Mike
    Marilou Ancheta from Clovis, California
    Replied 12 months ago
    This is very interesting. Thanks for the idea!
    Brian S. Rental Property Investor from Bellefonte, PA
    Replied 7 months ago
    This is a very interesting topic that has my mind churning! Thanks for sharing this article about “best use of property!”
    Tony Mickelsen
    Replied 5 months ago
    I know a lot of people doing this and it works really well. They quickly increase cash flow with relatively little effort. And the garages get rented out quickly. Especially if you post the garage on Neighbor.
    Scott Crabtree
    Replied 16 days ago
    Hello Dave, I am looking at some multi-family properties with detached garages, which I would rent out separate from the main residences. However, I am having trouble determining comps for pricing the garages, and I am concerned that a garage may have a higher vacancy rate than an apartment. Do you have any advice for these pricing with these concerns in mind? Thanks.
    Travis Stevens
    Replied 16 days ago
    So for a garage with several bays, I’m assuming you frame in a dividing wall between each bay?
    Patrick Winn Rental Property Investor from Fort Worth, TX
    Replied 15 days ago
    Dave. Thank you for your post. I have a duplex with a very large lot with plenty of room for an extra garage and your unique idea seems to be perfect for my situation. I’d like more details on where you built your garage in relation to where the duplex is, as well as how you deal with the tenants in the duplex having to interact with the garage tenants. Thank you in advance.