BiggerPockets Real Estate Podcast

A Day in the Life: How I Spend My Time As a Full-Time Real Estate Investor [Video!]

Expertise: Real Estate Investing Basics, Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice, Mortgages & Creative Financing, Landlording & Rental Properties, Business Management, Personal Development, Flipping Houses, Commercial Real Estate
real-estate-professional

When I tell people that I am a full time real estate investor, people immediately ask me, "What do you do all day?"

Well, just like any business, there are exciting days and boring days. There are great days full of opportunity and other days that are frustrating. Since I often get asked about how I spend my time, I figured I would shoot a video about a day I had last week. The video ties in a few important lessons about dealing with tenants, managing employees or sub-contractors, looking at deals, and interacting with local municipalities.

Related: Day in the Life of a Wholesaler: How to Find Sellers, Negotiate Deals & Assign Contracts

Please leave a comment below and let’s get some discussion going!

Thanks for watching!

Matt Faircloth, co-founder and president of the DeRosa Group, is a seasoned real estate investor. The DeRosa Group, based in historic Trenton, New Jersey, i...
    Jeremy Chaudet Investor from Philadelphia, PA
    Replied almost 5 years ago
    Cool video! What neighborhood in south jersey were you in?
    Hey Jeremy, I was in Blackwood NJ. Do you know the area? Matt
    Jeremy Chaudet Investor from Philadelphia, PA
    Replied almost 5 years ago
    Hey Matt, I’m not too familiar with the area but I have been looking for some multis (5-10 units) in south jersey so that’s why I was curious. Good luck with it!
    Ramsey Kheshen Investor from Pacific Grove, CA
    Replied almost 5 years ago
    Thank you for sharing this video, and the useful information. Keep them coming.
    Replied almost 5 years ago
    Thanks Ramsey – I’m glad you enjoyed and hope to keep it up!
    Joshua Diaz Rental Property Investor from Bronx, NY
    Replied almost 5 years ago
    Ah the dreaded court hearing! Glad to see it went well for you. I want to say thank you for putting this video together and sharing all of those valuable tips! I’ll definitely incorporate those into my routines.
    Replied almost 5 years ago
    Hey Joshua, I always take things to court if I can. It’s the one way to get the ear of someone willing to hear you side. Glad you enjoyed!! Matt
    Jason Bennett Investor from Winnebago, Illinois
    Replied almost 5 years ago
    Matt, Thanks for taking the time. Love the format and as always the reminder to keep an ear open for deals!
    Replied almost 5 years ago
    Hey Jason, I talk to EVERYONE about what I do – you never know who you are going to meet… I’ve even overheard convo at the table next to me at a restaurant and jumped in if I think I can help! Matt
    Russell Brazil Real Estate Agent from Rockville, MD
    Replied almost 5 years ago
    Im often asked by younger investors or agents if they can shadow me to see a day in the life of….and I ask them do they really want to watch me talk on the phone and answer emails, thats like 95% of what I do on a daily basis.
    Replied almost 5 years ago
    Hey Russell, That’s funny. I’ve had the same requests. Most days are pretty boring and if I wrote an article about them it would be a very short one, LOL! This day was one that I got to spend in the field, which I love but I don’t get to do all the time – like you there is a lot of paperwork and plain old correspondence that comes with this business! I wouldn’t trade it for anything though! Matt
    Sawyer Lubke Real Estate Agent from Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Replied almost 5 years ago
    Excellent video. I enjoyed the comment about always listening to your surroundings. Thank you for taking the time to make and share this!
    Replied almost 5 years ago
    You got it Sawyer! I’m glad you enjoyed.
    Kellee Dankiewicz Residential Real Estate Broker from Manteca, CA
    Replied almost 5 years ago
    Great video, thanks for the info. One thing I learned while managing REO properties for the bank is to take lots of pictures. Have your guy checking on the dumpsters, just snap a picture of it and date stamp it. I had the city putting violations on my homes stating the landscaping was not being maintained. The date stamped pictures proved otherwise.
    Replied almost 5 years ago
    Hey Kellee, Thats a great tip on date stamped photos! I might have to steal that one. My guy is out to that site at least once a week so it would be very easy for him to snap some pics. Love it! Matt
    Ian & Judy-Jill Stevenson
    Replied almost 5 years ago
    Just watched your video. A lot of food for thought. How do you get on if you are investing remotely? Do you have others, such as realtors, who do the viewing for you? What do you expect from them in this regard? Would love to hear your thoughts. Regards, Ian & Judy-Jill Stevenson
    Ian & Judy-Jill Stevenson
    Replied almost 5 years ago
    Hi Ian and Judy! I don’t do remote investments currently but am looking at some mid sized apartment buildings in remote areas so that might change. I would probably do the viewing myself even if it’s remote but I hear your question. Here are my thoughts to answer your questions… 1. surrounding area – get them to rate it from A to D, there is a defined scale on this that you can get on BP 2. Shoot pics of the exterior of the property, the mechanicals (heater, hot water boiler, and appliances), roof, and bathrooms. These are big ticket items to repair so you want to see them. 3. Have the shoot a quick video walkthrough with their cell phone if they are willing and able 4. If there are tenants in place be sure to get an assessment of the living conditions 5. If they are going to manage it for you, great. If not you need to have your manager do a site assessment also so they can tell you things that need to be repaired out of the gate. I hope that helps! Matt
    Ian & Judy-Jill Stevenson
    Replied almost 5 years ago
    Thanks for the informed response.
    Replied almost 5 years ago
    No Problem! Best of Luck!
    Hector Rivera
    Thanks for sharing great video. Reply Report comment
    Hector Rivera
    Replied almost 5 years ago
    Thanks for sharing great video.
    Hey Hector, Glad you enjoyed! Thanks for the comment. Matt
    Hector Rivera
    Replied almost 5 years ago
    Thanks for sharing great video.
    Hector Rivera
    Thanks for sharing great video. Reply Report comment
    Kyle Doney Flipper/Rehabber from Golden, CO
    Replied almost 5 years ago
    Great tips throughout this, thanks!
    Replied almost 5 years ago
    You are welcome Kyle! Glad you enjoyed!
    Andrew Hypnarowski from Buffalo, New York
    Great video! Thank you
    Richard G. Investor from Alexandria, Virginia
    Replied almost 5 years ago
    Great, great video! I really like the video concept and you sharing a day-in-the-life of one of your days. Keep them coming — Just curious, as far as the owner and tenant relationship and putting things in writing, have you found email correspondence or voice recordings applicable on some occasions. I understand last rent payments are of a serious nature and definitely need to be recorded but just wondering what your thoughts are on this. Thanks —
    Replied almost 5 years ago
    Hey Richard, Good to hear from you. As I understand it, Email is now acceptable for notice to tenants, the same as sending them a letter. I do know that voicemail or phone conversations are not acceptable for agreements on payment or lease renewals. Take care! Matt
    Justin Eaton Engineer from Magnolia, NJ
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    Hey Matt! Saw this post on my twitter feed today via bigger pockets but I guess I am about a year late on the initial post lol! Anyhow i was pleasantly surprised hearing from a local investor. I live in a surrounding town of Blackwood and have also been keeping an eye on a few multiplex properties in NE Philly near temple. Other than the podcasts, Im fairly new to the BP website so we will have to connect on there! Talk soon! Justin
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    Hey Justin! Thanks for reaching out. I hope all is well down there in Blackwood! It’s funny, but that’s where the building is that I mentioned in this video, LOL! It was a 100 unit in town, not sure of the name but we ended up passing on the deal. You should come and check out SJREIA, we meet in Cherry Hill and Princeton monthly. It’s a great way to get connected to other investors. You can find out more at http://www.SJREIA.org. Take care, Matt
    Justin Eaton Engineer from Magnolia, NJ
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    Yes i know of SJREI, and i know a couple investors who are actively involved with the group. I plan to join and begin attending soon! Justin