Real Estate Investing Basics

Why You Should Take Investing Action — Even if it’s Small — Right NOW

Expertise: Landlording & Rental Properties, Real Estate Investing Basics, Personal Development, Business Management
take-action

Every day that passes, I get a day older. As I’m getting older, I find myself reflecting more and more. Maybe it is because the days behind me continue to grow, and the days ahead continue to dwindle. I am not writing this to be dark. I am writing this because it makes me think about my mindset.

I had a discussion with my wife yesterday. She is a mid-level manager at a large company. She is struggling with the politics of the company. Her ideas are right, but her execution is too timid. I told her, “You need to be more aggressive in your approach. The people who are aggressive receive the greatest rewards.”

When I look back at my life, I realize I have been most rewarded for the times that I took action. The times I did something. I’ve very rarely been rewarded for sitting still. There are times when sitting still is the right move, but it happens rarely, and the skill is not worth developing.

There is a quote: “No one remembers the mistakes; they only remember the successes.” Even now while writing this, the ONLY times that I remember someone bringing up my mistakes are old high school coaches and people who want to try and humble me.

Take Action, Even if it’s Small

I say this to whoever wants to accomplish anything in their lives. Take action. Even if it is small. Take any goal that you’ve wanted to accomplish, figure out the next step and take it. I’ve loved music all my life. I remember being a kid and listening to some of the The Doors’ live albums in the dark while thinking.

Related: Why Tiny Actions (NOT Massive Efforts) Make the Difference in Real Estate Success

I’ve picked up musical instruments here and there. I never practiced. I never progressed. I quit. Just recently, I borrowed a guitar from my brother-in-law. I’ve been taking lessons now for about a month and practicing almost every day. And you know what? I can play something that is recognizable as a song. It is awesome. Things that seemed impossible a month ago are no longer difficult. I’m not saying I will be playing “Little Wing” next week, but there is no reason that I couldn’t be in a couple of years with consistent practice.

How Does This Relate to Real Estate?

After all this babbling, what does any of this have to do with real estate? Nothing. And everything. No matter what it is you are working on in your life, everything starts with your mindset. Your mindset has to be aggressive, so you can take action.

Do something. Go do something now!

• Put up a Forum post with the question that is stopping you.
  • Reach out to a BP member and ask for help.
  • Go look at some properties.

Related: Stop Dreaming & Start Doing: How to Turn Big Real Estate Goals Into Actionable Steps

Go. Go. Go. Look at all the people that you admire on BP. The one thing they all have in common is that they are taking action. They may not know whether it is the right action or not, but everyone learns from mistakes. Anyone who has been successful in anything can tell you all about all of their mistakes. They are unavoidable, so don’t worry about them. Just go.

I’d like to wrap up with a Henry Ford quote, “Whether you think you can or you think you can’t, you’re right.”

What did YOU take action on this week to become a better investor?

Let me know with a comment!

Mark Ainley is an investor, managing broker, and property manager with almost two decades of experience in real estate. Mark found his way into real estate by purchasing and flipping condominiums prior to the great recession, and since, he has built his own portfolio of rentals alongside co-founding GC Realty & Development LLC (GCR&D), a full-service real estate brokerage, property management and investment firm, and GC Realty Investments (GCRI). He has rehabbed and stabilized over 450 properties and currently manages over 900 investment properties throughout the Chicagoland area. Mark was featured on CNBC’s TV show The Deed, which chronicled one of his rehabs. He has also been featured on podcasts like The BiggerPockets Podcast, The Real Estate Mogul Podcast, Joe Fairless, REI Diamonds, and Positive Phil.

Seth Carlone-Hanson Investor from North/ Central, Florida
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    Thank you Mark, great post. I too have discovered that, on the “passive to aggressive” spectrum, it is often better to err on the aggressive side.
    Ndy Onyido from Toronto, Ontario
    I agree, Seth
    Mark Ainley Developer from Roselle, IL (Chicago Suburb)
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    When you look at the most successful people, they are successful because they are willing to go after what they want. I’m not sure you can teach aggressiveness.
    Donald Cherry from Saint Peters, Missouri
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    One of my favorite expressions is “A car is easier to turn when it is in motion.” If you want to take a trip, you got to get out of the garage! Like a GPS, you will sometimes need to “recalculate” in your life’s journey, but at least you’re in motion! Great post… Enjoy the drive!
    Mark Ainley Developer from Roselle, IL (Chicago Suburb)
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    Donald, I don’t think any think anything in life happens in a straight path. There are constant recalculations. Sometimes on the journey you realize that maybe you really don’t want to go where you were trying to go and you make an adjustment. But you’ll only figure that out if you actually try to get where you think you want to go.
    Karen Rittenhouse Flipper/Rehabber from Greensboro, NC
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    Great motivation, Mark. So many people don’t take action in real estate because they think they don’t know enough. You’re right, take action. We learn by our actions. And, just like your guitar playing, you’ll know a lot more a year from now than you do right now if you continue to take action every day.
    Russell Brazil Real Estate Agent from Rockville, MD
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    Debt reduction and equity begin today
    Jerry W. Investor from Thermopolis, Wyoming
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    Mark, I enjoyed your article. I know that some things I needed to get done but kept putting off for various reasons I came to dread. Once I took the file and sat down, just to read and make some notes, suddenly it became less of dreaded action, I would then decide I will just give it 15 minutes, then suddenly the next 15 minutes was not so bad. The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step.
    Mark Ainley Developer from Roselle, IL (Chicago Suburb)
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    Thanks, Jerry! A lot of tasks can seem insurmountable before you start. But once you get going, it becomes easier and easier. The biggest hurdle is taking that first step.
    Ndy Onyido from Toronto, Ontario
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    Hi Mark, This is a life lesson. Can I share this with my followers on my blog?. Not sure how it works. Thanks for sharing. We all learn each day.
    Robert Boban Flipper/Rehabber from Chicago, IL
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    Great article Mark, right to the point. Right mindset, taking action and being aggressive with it is everything!
    Robert Boban Flipper/Rehabber from Chicago, IL
    Emerald Mojica Chiropractor from Monroe, WA - Washington
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    Thanks for the mindset check Mark! Great way to start the week.
    Minh Le Investor from San Jose, CA
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    Very sound advice Mark. Now you got me thinking. Thanks for that.
    Ashley Pimsner Rental Property Investor from Saint Charles, IL
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    I thoroughly enjoyed your post and I find so much of your content on BP to be practical sound advice that applies to most anyone.
    Donald Cooley Railroad Conductor / Future investor from New Baltimore, MI
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    Great post. Thank you for the motivation, I am still waiting on my first deal and at times it feels like it won’t ever happen. But, I know I can do this and I need to just keep pressing forward. Thanks again for the post it came to me at the moment I needed it.
    Don Alberts from Frankfort, Illinois