Personal Development

6 Powerful Words That Entirely Changed My Outlook on Success

Expertise: Commercial Real Estate, Personal Finance, Real Estate Marketing, Business Management, Landlording & Rental Properties, Real Estate Investing Basics, Personal Development, Real Estate News & Commentary, Mortgages & Creative Financing
words-changed-life-1

“We become what we think about.”

This is a simple yet highly inspirational quote from The Strangest Secret by Earl Nightingale. From what is classified as one of the most important motivational recordings of all time, this insightful saying certainly carries a deep message.

Your Mindset Creates Your Reality

The main idea of this quote is that what you set your mind on will be what you will achieve in real life. Hence, if a person focuses solely on success, this is exactly what they will attract, and if someone always looks towards the negative side of things, the opposite happens.

Related: Mind Over Matter: Are You Standing in the Way of Your Own Entrepreneurial Success?

This is simply because what our minds concentrate on will often reflect into our actions. So if you consistently think about failing, naturally your first instinct won’t be on how to succeed, but in thinking that it is normal to fail. Confucius once said, “The man who says he can and the man who says he cannot are both correct.”

Smart guy.

open_door_mindset

Envision Your Goals

This is exactly the reason why it is so crucial to carry your goals around with you at all times. From literally taping them onto the visor of your car to making a beautifully aesthetic rendition for your wall to keeping them in your wallet (which is my favorite to do) or even just adding it as a simple reminder on your device, it is a good idea to keep your goals in mind on a daily basis.

Make sure you know what you want to achieve and ensure that your mindset is always pointing toward the road of success. So even if you are faced with a tough day ahead, by always keeping your goals firmly ingrained in your mind, you will be able to overcome any obstacle in your path and find even the slightest ray of sunlight in an otherwise seemingly dark day.

Counteract Negativity

Don’t ever feel down if you aren’t in the best of places. There is no doubt that everyone faces some difficult situations at times, and everyone is bound to have negative thoughts.

wealthy-habit

Related: 5 Powerful Books That Changed the Direction of My Life

However, keep in mind the first point covered in this article and counteract these tendencies by ensuring that you maintain a positive mindset. Even if this sounds difficult to achieve, still try to just take some time off and do what you love doing best. Whether it is by getting into a dreamy trance listening to inspirational podcasts or cozying up by the fireplace reading your favorite book, don’t ever forget to take time to look after yourself. After all, the most important factor to success is you. Without you, there is no positive mindset, and with no positive mindset, there is no success.

Now Go And Be Great, because you deserve it!

Sterling is an multifamily investor specializing in value-add apartments in Indianapolis and other Midwestern markets. With just under a decade of experience in the real estate industry, Sterling w...
    Don Alberts from Frankfort, Illinois
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Sterling, thanks and couldn’t agree with you more. Have a powerful day. Don
    Sterling White Rental Property Investor from Indianapolis, IN
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Will do Don! Thank you! Now go and be great!
    Brad Lohnes Investor from Cambridge, Waikato
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Thanks for that, Sterling. This is also one of my favourite quotes, which I only discovered in the last year or so. I am seeing it fully in my life, too. Over the past 3 years I have taken on personal finance as my number one “hobby”, and this has lead to a complete transformation. Not only of our personal finances, but also of my outlook on life and success, and what I am capable of. My immersion and willingness to give up my free time to study this area and share it with those who are interested has lead to a point where co-workers and friends already recognize that I have valuable knowledge to share. This in turn is leading to more open and fruitful ideas around new ways to increase income and I can see a future in which I am helping others with this stuff for a living. At that point, I will have actually become what I am thinking about. 🙂
    Sterling White Rental Property Investor from Indianapolis, IN
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Wow that is great to hear Brad. The mind is a powerful thing. I wish you the best of luck in 2016!
    Joshua Dreyer Real Estate Agent from Merrick, New York
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Thanks Sterling! What a great motivational/inspirational blog post it. I really enjoyed reading it!
    Sterling White Rental Property Investor from Indianapolis, IN
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Glad I was able to bring some value to you! Thank you for reading! Go and be great Josh! You deserve it
    Andrew Syrios Residential Real Estate Investor from Kansas City, MO
    Well said!
    Sterling White Rental Property Investor from Indianapolis, IN
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Thank you for the read Andrew! Best of luck in 2016!
    Caleb
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Counteract negativity. I love this point. You have the power to recognize negative feelings and thoughts, only to take control. These situations are unavoidable. They happen. You can attack them head-on and take the necessary steps for properly dealing with them.
    Sterling White Rental Property Investor from Indianapolis, IN
    Replied over 4 years ago
    So true Caleb. Hope it will be something you will be able to use and be more aware of moving forward. Best of luck in 2016! Go and be great!
    Douglas Skipworth Rental Property Investor from Memphis, TN
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Sterling, I always enjoy your perspective. I think it’s so right on the money! I saw this quote the other day from Grant Cardone (the 10x guy). “My biggest mistake in life was that I thought too small for too long.” Like a lot of other people, I feel the same way. Your article is a great reminder for us to nourish a bigger, more positive and productive mindset. Thanks so much.
    Sterling White Rental Property Investor from Indianapolis, IN
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Glad to see you are absorbing on this platform. Learning from others experience has always helped me. “Shoot for the moon and if you miss you will still be among the stars”. How has thinking big help you in your career?
    Douglas Skipworth Rental Property Investor from Memphis, TN
    Replied over 4 years ago
    One thing I’ve been thinking about lately is, “what do I want to have accomplished personally, professionally, physically, spiritually, financially, etc. if I live to be 100?”. It’s been a great exercise and really has me thinking more broadly and more deeply than ever before. At 42, having reached a lot of my original goals, now I feel like I’m just getting started and that the best is yet to come!
    Sterling White Rental Property Investor from Indianapolis, IN
    Replied over 4 years ago
    I am so excited to hear your perspective. I very much agree with this question “what do I want to have accomplished personally, professionally, physically, spiritually, financially, etc. if I live to be 100?” makes you really think long and hard about things. Thank you so much for this piece of insight
    David Rocca Investor from Hollywood, Florida
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Nice post, always have your goals on your mind and repeat them often to yourself and anyone that would listen I felt helped me.
    Sterling White Rental Property Investor from Indianapolis, IN
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Well said David. And having others hold you accountable helps tremendously so good point on sharing goals with peers.
    Mike Kelley Investor from Gardendale, Alabama
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Wake up sleepwalkers. It is time you became what you you desire. Also, One of my favorite books, “As a Man Thinkith” James Allen Thank you for the article. One of my favorite podcasts…
    Sterling White Rental Property Investor from Indianapolis, IN
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Glad you enjoyed the read Mike. What is the biggest bit of knowledge from the book that stood out to you?
    Jessie Niu from Columbus, Ohio
    Laws of attraction! Not only what we think, more importantly, how we feel! 🙂
    Jessie Niu from Columbus, Ohio
    Laws of attraction! Not only what we think, more importantly, how we feel! 🙂
    Sterling White Rental Property Investor from Indianapolis, IN
    Replied over 4 years ago
    You hit the nail on the head Jessie!
    Caleb Friberg Investor from Longview/Kelso, Washington
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Awesome article! I read a book years ago (don’t recall the name or author) but he said that “Thoughts lead to feelings, feelings lead to action, action leads to results”this has stuck with me all this time. If you obsess, think about and visualize your goals on a daily basis, your far more likely to push yourself and achieve it is that you want. Stay positive and don’t let anyone or anything stand in your way. Thanks for sharing and keep it up! Caleb
    Sterling White Rental Property Investor from Indianapolis, IN
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Very much would love to read that book you mentioned if you ever get a hold of the title
    Naeem Kapasi Investor from San Antonio, TX
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Well said @sterling! I really enjoyed the uplifting spirit in this post. I love this kind of thinking as it goes hand in hand with personal finance and success. I also like this quote “Your thoughts can either empower you or bring you down. What thoughts are you choosing?”. Ohh btw, I just wanted to point out that this part of the paragraph is a little confusing, the way it is written. I had to re-read it a few times to get it. If it happened to me, I am sure it happened to others 😛 “if someone always looks towards the negative side of things, the opposite happens.”