GOALS FOR THE NEW YEAR?

GOALS FOR THE NEW YEAR?

Karen MargraveBusiness Member
Moderator
Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes

Seems like we were just answering this question. Time flies.

  • What are your goals for business in the coming new year?
  • What part has BP played in your business this past year?

I want to say Thank You to all of you that have helped me this past year, with your answers to my posts. I wanted to @mention all of you, to pull you in here, but there's too many!

Merry Christmas everyone, and here's wishing you a Merry Christmas and a prosperous and Happy New Year! @Joshua D. @Brandon Turner all your hard work is appreciated!

1Reply
153 views

Most Popular Reply

Involved In Real Estate · Biloxi, MS · Member since 2013 · 76 posts · 30 votes
12y

My Goals:

1. Transition my full-time job into a part-time job, this will happen in April.

2. Bite the bullet and work as real estate agent for six months to a year for experience. Who knows, I may like it.

3. Open a property management company in the fall, possibly in the spring if I can find the right partner. I'm in full blown biz planning mode.

4. Get my broker license in July. This is the driver for the fall PM company launch.

5. Add two income properties to personal portfolio.

On the personal side:

1. Volunteer more of my time to good causes

2. Take one MBA class. I took last year off and regret it. I'm six classes out when I should be at four or five. Small bites

3. Run a marathon. At 15 miles now and hope scheduling works out to run in the Mardi Gras marathon in Feb.

4. Continue to live primal. Google primal blueprint. @Ann Watkins I read "Grain Brain" a couple of months ago, great health book, changed my life.

5. Get my six-pack captain's license. I'm scheduled for an April course.

6. Read often and start writing

7. My wife and I are going to start making homemade wine.

8. And above all else: Live, Love, and be Happy!

See this reply in the discussion

89 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Deerfield Beach Florida and Tupper Lake, N.Y. · Member since 2013 · 307 posts · 118 votes
    12y

    Interesting question, and interesting to me that @ posted it, & @ was one of the first responses. I've been wanting to reach out to some developers (@, & @ both were on my mind here) to help me put together a project that I have had on my mind for 20, (yes Twenty) years.

    Before finding BP I kind of thought the project was out of my realm of possibilities, NOW, I've changed my POV.

    I'm workig in three (+1/2) directions at once.

    1 we've just bought a new primary res., & will have the current house to rent or sell, (still negotiating that w/ "the boss"), but we own multiple properties, finally.

    2 in the process of re-fi, re-hab, & buying next house, met someone with some capital to 100% finance fix and flips, cash purchase up to 100k + repairs, bigger purchases entirely possible. This deal was offered to me, I wasn't even looking.

    3 The "Big Dream". This is a project that will take millions of $$ to complete, & hopefully all of the prime players will make a million or two...........

    More to follow on this as it becomes more realistic.

    (1/2) I still have a "real job" and a very cool boss, So, that's a little distracting in the big picture.

    I REALLY enjoyed the podcasts of the above named people, and still waiting, (@) for the podcasts from @, and @

    I'd like to get some input from @ on the "big dream" as well.

    Thank you to ALL of the contributors to BP. Happy Holidays and Happy investing to all.

    Oh yeah, almost forgot; to quit my job and become a full time REI/ developer. (sorry paul)

  • David HollandPro Member
    Realtor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2013 · 91 posts · 32 votes
    12y

    My 2014 goals are to buy a 2-4 unit for my personal residence, acquire 2 buy and hold properties and flip at least two properties. Continue networking and learning about real estate. This will include posting on BP more often!

    I'd like to thank everyone for sharing their knowledge on here and I wish everyone the best in the coming year!

  • Investor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2013 · 643 posts · 280 votes
    12y

    I appreciate the diversity Bigger Pockets brings together. We have people on here who hope to purchase their first property next year and people who are hoping to buy 100.

    As a new real estate investor myself, I have appreciated that i can type any topic under the sun into the Bigger Pockets search and find 20 blogs and forums pertaining to that topic.

    Next year I'm setting a goal of purchasing 6 additional buy-and-hold rental properties. They will be a mix of sfh and mfh. I close on my first one on January 6th, so I should be off to a good start.

    Mike

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 228 posts · 30 votes
    12y

    Goal # 1: Don't lose money!

    Goal # 2: Acquire 5 more single family properties with at least $300 cash flow to have my wife stay home by end of 2014.

    Goal # 3: Build up our seed money to get into small MF by beginning of 2015.

    We wished we found this site sooner. Thanks to everyone on BP who contributed their time, treasures and talent to help the community grow. We will continue to do what we can to do the same.

  • Investor · Riverside, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    - I wholesale to create capital.

    - I use the capital to acquire properties I like as rentals.

    - I only buy rentals with cash flow.

    Therefore, My 2014 Goals are:

    Business: Double gross collected rents.

    Personal: Get my black belt in kickboxing. Catch a trout over 25" on a fly rod. Visit one new country.

  • martinsvile, VA · Member since 2013 · 90 posts · 16 votes
    12y

    I am hoping to take it easy in the following year. I am trying to get out of the red and into the black for more than a couple months. Should this happen I will be looking at my first rental In early 2015.

    as far as BP goes. I have a completely different view and feel for things now. There is some people here I would like to partner with. Although I know I need to bring more to the table.

    Kinda funny I think. I am hoping to be working with the same people. That I am attempting to learn from. Merry Christmas.

    billy

  • Real Estate Investor · Abington, MA · Member since 2011 · 356 posts · 114 votes
    12y

    Goals for 2014 in specific order

    Fix and Flip 10+ Properties

    Acquire 1 + Multifamily

    Lose 40lbs

    Spend more time with my family

    Learn to speak Spanish

    Read/Listen to 50 books

    buy my wife a new Diamond ring to replace her stolen engagement ring

    pay off my kids college loans

    raise 1 million in private funds to finance/partner in deals

  • Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2013 · 465 posts · 170 votes
    12y

    Ok I've thought about this more.

    1. Dont go bankrupt!

    2. Add 3 new properties 1 MFH minimum
    3. Pay off first mortgage by end of 2014
    4. Pass my GSLC and get a position in the company I work with for Information Assurance (More money for investing!)
    5. Read 100 books Real Estate, Investing, Financing, non fiction, fiction. (I like to read)
    6. This one I've almost already done but become completly debt free minus mortgages. (30k in debt to $700 in under a year)
    7. Purchase another motorcycle because I miss my last motorcycle and get my MSF trainer certification. Keep the rubber to the road everyone!

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    My goal for 2014 is to lend out at least $3M to fix-n-flip deals of rehabbers primarily those who are experienced & active members of Biggerpockets...

  • Investor / Developer / GC · Manassas, VA · Member since 2013 · 229 posts · 39 votes
    12y

    BUILD! BUILD! BUILD!

    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

  • Real Estate Broker · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 187 posts · 111 votes
    12y

    Great post @Karen Margrave

    My goals for 2014 are a continuation of my five-year plan from 2010.

    1. Prepare for retirement in 2015 by purchasing at least two rentals a year.

    2. Learn as much as possible by reading, sharing and applying knowledge from BP. I've basically incorporated the podcasts into my workouts. And my kids are getting me books from the recommended reading list (e-myth, 4-hour Work Week, and The Millionaire RE Investor)

    3. Purchase my first MFR in 2015. I need to be retired to give any rehab/leasing the proper attention.

    4. Get healthier. Just bought a juicer and plan to slowly weed out carbs, sugars, salts, etc.

    5. Work more in my church. Take on more projects, in our marketing department.

    6. Assist my kids in acquiring their own properties via county auctions. I have been taking them with me to the auctions but they need to get better at saving.

    7. Build my real estate business (new website is completed, new business cards ordered,) by continuing to focus on bringing in more clients.

    I have actually created Action Plans for each one of these, so I can look back and see my progress or lack thereof.

  • Real Estate Broker · Woodbridge, VA · Member since 2013 · 179 posts · 33 votes
    12y
    BP and I have a love/hate relationship because of the vast amount of knowledge and opportunities there is to explore. However, being I have not figured out how to clone myself and there is but only 24 hours in a day I get lost in whatever podcast there is for the week! ;-) So... m y goal is to apply more time, systems and hire talent to help me "FOCUS" on getting deals done :-)
  • Rental Property Investor · Brookline, MA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 777 votes
    12y

    Expand to 4 multi family properties.

    Buy my primary, MFH of course, in the Boston area.

    Start buying with other people's money.

    Close on 4 SFH with both cash flow and appreciation in mind.

    BP has been incredible useful for both contacts and deal practice.

  • Jerry W.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    My 2014 goal is to finish my current flip for a profit, buy 2 high cash flowing properties to hold and start 2 new flips. Actually go camping this summer, ride my horses, spend 5 hours a week helping others.(changing my goal to 3 houses)

    The above is what I posted on a similar thread. To add to this to make it fit I intend to use BP to help me find an out of state partner or turnkey group to make those properties cash flow at least $200 per door.

  • Involved In Real Estate · Biloxi, MS · Member since 2013 · 76 posts · 30 votes
    12y

    My Goals:

    1. Transition my full-time job into a part-time job, this will happen in April.

    2. Bite the bullet and work as real estate agent for six months to a year for experience. Who knows, I may like it.

    3. Open a property management company in the fall, possibly in the spring if I can find the right partner. I'm in full blown biz planning mode.

    4. Get my broker license in July. This is the driver for the fall PM company launch.

    5. Add two income properties to personal portfolio.

    On the personal side:

    1. Volunteer more of my time to good causes

    2. Take one MBA class. I took last year off and regret it. I'm six classes out when I should be at four or five. Small bites

    3. Run a marathon. At 15 miles now and hope scheduling works out to run in the Mardi Gras marathon in Feb.

    4. Continue to live primal. Google primal blueprint. @Ann Watkins I read "Grain Brain" a couple of months ago, great health book, changed my life.

    5. Get my six-pack captain's license. I'm scheduled for an April course.

    6. Read often and start writing

    7. My wife and I are going to start making homemade wine.

    8. And above all else: Live, Love, and be Happy!

  • Michele FischerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Agree that the range of answers on this thread is amazing.

    Love this site- a great way to spend a few minutes each day, to learn, and to help me refine my processes and principles. In 2014 I plan to read some of the recommended books.

    My focus word for 2014 is FALLOW. As in taking a year to slow down, to give up normal routines, to say no more, to make space to be spontaneous and chase new adventures. In rentals, I plan to ramp up our maintenance inspections and set stronger expectations to try to have fewer expensive move outs.

    Merry Christmas all!

  • John HornerPro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 655 votes
    12y

    Gung ho 2014! I started in October 2013 and wholesaled 2 (3rd will be in early Jan) properties in 3 months. My goal is to ramp up marketing in early January and wholesale a minimum of 2 houses per month, along with 1 or 2 per month that my partner and/or I keep as cash flowing rental properties.

  • Investor · Davenport, IA · Member since 2010 · 111 posts · 22 votes
    12y

    I want to pay off my bills and close on another multi-family by the end of 2014.

  • Investor · Canton-Akron, OH · Member since 2012 · 917 posts · 477 votes
    12y

    Since I didnt come close to making my goal in 2013. I am resetting that as my target this year. We learned a lot, developed better systems, hired some exceptional people, bought an office complex, with a church that makes my mortgage and utility payments (instead of me paying 1,300 mo rent).

    We are in a much better position to achieve the goal this year.

    Goal: Five crews completing total of 45 houses

    Rehab one house Sarasota, Bradenton at the end of the year.

    Other goals ... work 40-50 hour weeks instead of 70-80

    Take at least 4 - 1 week vacations

    Pedal the trail from dc-pittsburg

    Vacation one foreign country.

    Think more, plan more, delegate more. Focus on my unique abilities, the top 20% that create 80% of my results, delegate the rest.

    Spend more time with friends and family.

    Drink more good Port.

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 1 post · 4 votes
    12y

    My goals for the New Year is to hopefully be successful in college.

  • Real Estate Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 50 posts · 6 votes
    12y
    My goal for 2014 is to increase my RE portfolio to 1.8 million and do my first flipping in the first a few months of the year.
  • Rental Property Investor · Chandler, AZ · Member since 2012 · 87 posts · 39 votes
    12y

    After being MIA for the past 3 months, this seems like a good thread to comment on!

    On 9/30 we welcomed our first baby. So the business goals are a little less lofty and personal financial situation are a little fuzzier than usual but in no particular order:

    1. Aquire at least one additional property

    2. Become more organized paperwork wise

    3. Learn more about (and hopefully utilize!) a more creative financing solution

    4. Explore investing in other cities

    5. Do better tax planning

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 71 posts · 16 votes
    12y

    My goal is to continue to learn, save, and acquire my first rental property by summer.

  • Real Estate Broker · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 187 posts · 111 votes
    12y

    @Account Closed

    Thank you for the reading recommendation, I will definitely pick it up!

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Tierra Verde, FL · Member since 2013 · 276 posts · 130 votes
    12y

    Late December is my favorite time of year because I just love New Year's Resolutions. I always make personal, family, health and business resolutions, and keep 80-90%.

    I will save up enough cash for a BP Pro Membership.

    I will gain possession of one property before April.

    I will buy a multifamily property before the end of the year.

    I will pass the Real Estate Sales Associate exam.

    I will close two deals a month as a RE Associate.

    BP will continue to be a major source of inspiration to me. I have never felt more well informed prior to reading here. I will continue to study the forums and listen to the podcasts to expand my knowledge base.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.