LLC for Washington, But is in Property is in Indiana

2 Replies

So the property I'm buying is in Indiana. But I live in Washington state. I'm on the internet right now to setup the Indiana LLC. But it's asking me to setup a Registered Agent and that person/business has to live in Indiana. My questions is can I setup a Washington state-based LLC for my Indiana rental property?

@Gulliver R.

I have some properties in Indiana too.  You have two options:

1. Set up a Washington LLC, and then register it as a foreign entity in Indiana. Find a registered agent there and use their address as the local business address.

2. Set up an Indiana LLC. Same thing with registered agent.

I opted for #2 because I didn't want to pay for entity fees in two states. I actually put my WA business address down as the primary business address (and it shows up when you look up the LLC online), but if anyone asks me what my local business address is, I just give them the address of my registered agent.

Google "Indiana Registered Agent" and pick one that you like.  BP mods will flag me if I post external links, but if you want the specific one that I used, feel free to PM me.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

  • Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here