Originally posted by @Jose Salazar :
Hi Scott, I have a question for you:
I own rental properties which are divided in a few LLCs. I am the only member of each LLC. Each LLC owns 3 or 4 properties. The issue I am dealing with right now is that I am mixing all the rents and expenses. So I am on the process to separate all the bills and rents and start to collects rents in the correct bank account and pay bills from the bank account owns by each LLC. At the end What I am trying to avoid is commingling.
The accountant told me that my taxes needs to be done in the same way as I am doing right now, it means all the properties will be put on the schedule E and the LLCs will be ignore for tax purposes. My questions are: 1. Is this not commingling then? Even that I am separate all my rents and expenses per property per LLC, but then I am mixing them on my taxes. Is this the correct way to do my taxes on the assest protection point of view? Shall I do separate taxes per LLC even that I am the only member so I can avoid commingling?
2. I have a home office and use my car also for real estate. My CPA told me at the moment I deduce miles and put expenses of my home office on the taxes, then I am doing commingling. If that is true? Then how shall I treat the miles and home Office expenses having multiple LLCs ?
Jose, the best thing to do in your case would be to setup a management company. The management company gives a place to cover costs/deductions and pay for some advanced tax strategies.
@Matthew Jure talk to your CPA and AP Attorney to set you up per your current situation and a way to grow towards your future goals.
Free eBook from BiggerPockets!
Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!
- Actionable advice for getting started,
- Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
- Learn how to get started with or without money,
- Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
- And a LOT more.
Sign up below to download the eBook for FREE today!
We hate spam just as much as you