I hit a personal goal today. Anyone else working on a cool goal?

54 Replies

So this was the last day of a fitness/slim-down challenge my extended family and I have been on since January getting ready for a wedding.

This was a SMART (Specific Measurable Attainable Relevant) goal and had a positive result because of it.  

We would weigh ourselves every Sunday and report via group text.  Winner of the week gets $5. Winner for the month  $10. Winner overall $40.  Rewading wins during the process help us attain our goal.  

I lost 25.6 lbs net and won. I was also the heaviest to begin with, but saw great progress in the amount of pull-ups, dips and push ups I can now do as well.

My next goal is to be a happier and more patient person.  Hard to measure, but gotta try.  I am listening to and doing the tasks of Happiness Advantage by Shawn Achor.  We find what we seek.  Seek the good.

What are you working on?  Any wins to share?

@Steve Vaughan  

I made it a goal to seek the good a long time ago. Zig Ziglar would say "The world has never erected a statue to a critic; therefore they're not held in such high esteem" (or something to that effect :) Years ago, when I read Dr Steven Covey's "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People", I decided to began with the end in mind and I would be a person who always found the good in everything and everyone. Seek the good. This idea has transformed my life. It may be hard to measure as a goal, but the more you do it, the better you'll feel...and you can't feel good without a bit of that rubbing off on everyone around you. Best of luck reaching those goals!

Originally posted by @Caleb Heimsoth :

@Steve Vaughan I’ve lost some weight myself recently, which is nice. Also, just actively looking for more deals. I have a goal of a certain number of units by the end of the year, and I may or may not hit it lol

Caleb, you are just killing it.  I am proud for you and appreciate what you share on BP.  

For your new units, are you still OOS?  I suppose your expensive market hasn't changed.  I will hopefully dabble OOS as well if my 2 multis sell as planned this year.  May be able to share two new goals accomplished next year!

Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan :
Originally posted by @Caleb Heimsoth:

@Steve Vaughan I’ve lost some weight myself recently, which is nice. Also, just actively looking for more deals. I have a goal of a certain number of units by the end of the year, and I may or may not hit it lol

Caleb, you are just killing it.  I am proud for you and appreciate what you share on BP.  

For your new units, are you still OOS?  I suppose your expensive market hasn't changed.  I will hopefully dabble OOS as well if my 2 multis sell as planned this year.  May be able to share two new goals accomplished next year!

I actually sold all my OOS stuff, recently.  It’s not that it wasn’t performing well.  It performed as planned for the most part, but I found I could source better deals closer to where I live. 

I’m invested in a market about an hour from where I live now.  I find it easier to handle and returns seem better, so far anyways.  I’m trying to get to 10 units by the end of the year.

Which out of state markets are you looking at? 

Originally posted by @Michael Kiley :

@Steve Vaughan 

I made it a goal to seek the good a long time ago. Zig Ziglar would say "The world has never erected a statue to a critic; therefore they're not held in such high esteem" (or something to that effect :) Years ago, when I read Dr Steven Covey's "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People", I decided to began with the end in mind and I would be a person who always found the good in everything and everyone. Seek the good. This idea has transformed my life. It may be hard to measure as a goal, but the more you do it, the better you'll feel...and you can't feel good without a bit of that rubbing off on everyone around you. Best of luck reaching those goals!

Thank you for this, Michael.  Two excellent books you've cited.  I've read them both of course but this time I'm trying to put into action writing down 3 things I'm grateful for each day, discussing 3 things we're all grateful for  at the dinner table, etc.  Pass it down and spread it. 

It's encouraging to hear how well it's worked for you and I'm sure it's spread into your business as well.  Congrats and thanks again! 

Originally posted by @Caleb Heimsoth :
Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan:
Originally posted by @Caleb Heimsoth:

I actually sold all my OOS stuff, recently.  It’s not that it wasn’t performing well.  It performed as planned for the most part, but I found I could source better deals closer to where I live. 

I’m invested in a market about an hour from where I live now.  I find it easier to handle and returns seem better, so far anyways.  I’m trying to get to 10 units by the end of the year.

Which out of state markets are you looking at?   

Ok I didn't realize you had sold all of them.  Did you 1031?  We're taxes an issue?  I've only sold 1, maybe 2 per year so far for tax reasons.  This year I'll be exchanging if things go well.  

I'm looking at a state without snow, earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes or floods that doesn't have high property taxes, any income taxes and is LL-friendly.  Know of any? LOL    

So so far I'm in NV.  Next is to find the best PM in the entire state and buy in their market.    Glad you found a good market closer to home!

@Steve Vaughan

Congratulations Superfly!!!!!!!!

That's awesome!!  And no easy task!  

Eating high levels of sugar salt and fat (which causes most excessive weight) has the same effect on the brain as cocaine... so is incredibly difficult for most people to give up!

Good for you and your family! YAY!

My S.M.A.R.T. goal this year is to add 1+ new listings/week by the end of this year.

And patience seems to always be my virtuous goal year after year! ;))

Cheers to your success!

Originally posted by @Bevla Reeves :

@Steve Vaughan

Congratulations Superfly!!!!!!!!

That's awesome!!  And no easy task!  

Eating high levels of sugar salt and fat (which causes most excessive weight) has the same effect on the brain as cocaine... so is incredibly difficult for most people to give up!

Good for you and your family! YAY!

My S.M.A.R.T. goal this year is to add 1+ new listings/week by the end of this year.

And patience seems to always be my virtuous goal year after year! ;))

Cheers to your success!

Thank you so much, Bevla!  You're right, it wasn't easy. But like anything worth doing, it was worth it ☺

1+ listing per week is a huge goal and I hope you achieve it.  Please share how you faired EOY. 

Incidentally, AZ was #2 on my OOS investing preference list, but I don't want to have to file another tax return.  Your state income tax is reasonable but still there.    Maybe not a big deal?  Anyway,  thanks again for your well-wishes and inspiration!

Originally posted by @Ian Walsh :

Congrats!  Goals are always awesome to hit.  

Thanks, Ian. Yes they are.  

You have the most concise and efficient way of making your points, more so than anyone i see on here.  You'll say your sentence or two and I'll be like yep, that.  Then it takes me paragraphs to get the same point across.  just an observation.  Thanks again!

@Steve Vaughan Congrats on the weight loss bro! My primary short term goal is to take the leap into buying my first property in the next 12 months. I'm leaning towards using a 203k loan and occupying a unit in a MF home, I even have an eye on a property that will cash flow nicely when we end up moving out of it. My smaller steps towards that goal is to get my DtI in order (credit card debt from emergency car repairs), and saving up a 3.5% down payment.

Its all coming together soon! 

Originally posted by @Ethan Grier :

@Steve Vaughan Congrats on the weight loss bro! My primary short term goal is to take the leap into buying my first property in the next 12 months. I'm leaning towards using a 203k loan and occupying a unit in a MF home, I even have an eye on a property that will cash flow nicely when we end up moving out of it. My smaller steps towards that goal is to get my DtI in order (credit card debt from emergency car repairs), and saving up a 3.5% down payment.  Its all coming together soon! 

Hey thanks Ethan.  And thanks for sharing some of your goals.  I kinda miss the lots of targets  lots of wins a plenty there is in the beginning.  As we progress we have to pull out / invent new goals and they often aren't even financial.

So a househack FHA 203K plex, saving up 3.5% (plus closing costs of 1-2%) while paying off some emergency cc debt. Nice! Dave Ramsey's Every Dollar is a free budgeting app if you need one. He also has a podcast and FB group of getting out of debtors if you're interested.

Thank you for sharing and keep us posted.  Look forward to seeing you around!

@Steve Vaughan

Congrats on the weight loss. Pretty soon you'll be back to 20 pull-ups, 100 crunches, and a 18:00 min three mile!!

I'm trying to be a lot more focused on how I spend my time. Instead of being so task oriented, ie grinding thorough a job/jobs at full speed until its done, I'm trying to pull back and manage my time a better so I don't make a bunch of gains in one area, but feel backed up in others.

For sure not a SMART goal, but it is helping me build muscle memory and habits that will, hopefully, compound over the long term. 

congrats Steve..  harder to do than most people realize.. 

since your in E Wen  maybe Winnemucca would be a good under the radar place that has none of the natural disasters you mention.. maybe just a tiny bit of snow .. and you could drive there in a long day.. on cool back country roads.. 

@Caleb Heimsoth   Steve sorry for off topic.. but while I got Caleb.. wanted to ask him a question.

are you now self managing and getting that 20% of gross income back in your pocket now ?  

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs :

@Caleb Heimsoth  Steve sorry for off topic.. but while I got Caleb.. wanted to ask him a question.

are you now self managing and getting that 20% of gross income back in your pocket now ?  

I still have a property manager, but they only charge 7 percent.  No other fees of any kind.  I coordinate my own   Maintenance.  So it’s sort of a hybrid model. 

Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan :

So this was the last day of a fitness/slim-down challenge my extended family and I have been on since January getting ready for a wedding.

This was a SMART (Specific Measurable Attainable Relevant) goal and had a positive result because of it.  

We would weigh ourselves every Sunday and report via group text.  Winner of the week gets $5. Winner for the month  $10. Winner overall $40.  Rewading wins during the process help us attain our goal.  

I lost 25.6 lbs net and won. I was also the heaviest to begin with, but saw great progress in the amount of pull-ups, dips and push ups I can now do as well.

My next goal is to be a happier and more patient person.  Hard to measure, but gotta try.  I am listening to and doing the tasks of Happiness Advantage by Shawn Achor.  We find what we seek.  Seek the good.

What are you working on?  Any wins to share?

Hi Steve,

Congrats on achieving a personal goal!

Losing weight is not easy - in fact, nothing worthwhile in life is easy.

Talking about goals, I am a firm believer in B.H.A.G. - Big Hairy Audacious Goal

With hotels, my BHAG is to personally own $1 BILLION worth of hotels.

One BHAG I have set recently is providing full-ride college scholarship to 25 deserving students (who were orphaned or abandoned to the care of the state). My family have helped me when I was down. I have since helped and given back to my family. I want to help those who don't have any family or those abandoned by their own family.

@Steve Vaughan great job with the weight loss. Unfortunately I found the weight you lost... 

Our main goal is to become more passive with our rentals, yet I spent all Sunday putting the finishing touches on our latest acquisition. We have a great tenant moving in and I wanted it in perfect shape. It is pretty easy to hire people for defined jobs, but the small odds and ends are tough. 

Beyond that, acquiring a new vehicle is next on our list. Looking at either a Subaru Ascent or Kia Telluride. It will hard to trade my paid for minivan for a $40K SUV, but as my wife says, what is the point of all our rental properties if we are not enjoying the fruits of our labor. 

Any tips on the weight loss, besides eating less and exercising? For me the hardest part is knowing what to do and just not doing it.

@Steve Vaughan ,

Congrats on the weight loss!   My husband and I actually did something similar,  weekly weigh ins, but our incentive was a big screen TV...    we dropped 55lbs and got a 75"  TV now and it's phenomenal!  

This is a great thread, it's cool to learn a little about some of the "regular" posters aside from investing! Congrats on the weight loss @Steve Vaughan , that is no joke! A goal I have accomplished, and am still accomplishing, is giving up sugar - mostly refined sugar, as many things as I can that have added sugar, as well as apples, bananas, etc that are super high in sugar and sticking to berries when I want fruit.

When I tell you guys I was addicted to sugar, I mean it!! Like @Bevla Reeves mentions, it is insane how addicting it can be, and the more you eat it the more you want it, so I had to completely cut it out. As of June 1, I'm sugar free! This is the longest I've ever gone with out a cookie, donut, or some other sweet treat every day. I had migraines for the first 3 days of no sugar. That really told me something about how terrible that stuff is! And I'm not even trying to lose weight, but it's more so to be as healthy as I can be, mentally, physically, and spiritually. It's all related. I'm telling myself that I'm going to go until at least Feb 2020 when we are going to Mexico, but I'm hoping to give up sugar for good. I've found that for me, it's a lot easier to just take it off the table, not an option, than to have *just one* cookie. Doesn't work for me!

Here is how I lost 30 lbs.

1. Download myfitnesspal: The app calculates your required daily calorie intake. Log everything that goes into your mouth. You will be surprised how calories add up. Make sure you stay under the required calorie intake.

2. Intermittent fasting: This isn't easy. It ensures I do not snack. I have 2 meals a day.Those meals need to take me through 16 hours without food. It help choose my food/calories wisely.

3. Exercise: Even 30 mins 3 times a week helps. 

It takes approximately 2 weeks to get into the DISCIPLINE of eating right. The hard part is getting past those 2 weeks. 

I reached a goal and I am a big advocate on goal setting daily, weekly, monthly etc. I officially started last week wholesaling in Tampa. I have lived in GA and my last closing was in GA 2018 while I lived in Tampa !!! Never met the seller or buyer and the buyer is a BP member! 

I was debating about Tampa market and  I have been in FLA since 2017 and learning the city/areas a little bit in 2018. I am big about timing. I had been dealing with a personal issue in 2017. Now in 2019, I am so excited because I feel official in Tampa and closing is end of July.

This buyer is with BP as well. I try to contribute as much as possible with my humble opinion on BP. 

***I have about 5-7 lbs to lose and cookies, candy, ice cream is my drug!***

@Barbee T.  

Congrats! That is no easy feat. Thanks for sharing!

I am down 18 lbs since January myself. Sometimes it's a thankless, grueling existence going through the motions, but the confidence and health dividends that it pays you are priceless. 

Current goal is to get to sub 12% BF and to get something under contract by September!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here