Ran out of capital for renovation-How do I continue?

Ran out of capital for renovation-How do I continue?

Investor · Cedar Rapids, IA · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 2 votes

Long time lurker, first time poster. I bought my first primary SF in June 2020, before finding Biggerpockets. I have been DIY fixing the entire place and want to do a cash out refinance in the first quarter of the new year, however I have ran out of Capital to complete the project. I am 21 years old and make $45,000 a year, and have about $10,000 wrapped up in it so far, and need another $7000 to finish it the rest of the way. At the rate I make money and my expenses, it would take me another whole year of saving and spending all of my spare change to complete it. I need the project to move faster than that, so I am looking for advice on how to. My current options are a 0% APR credit card or a personal loan to finish and then cash out refi and then pay them off after. Looking for any experiences or advice to move it faster! I want to move to a duplex and househack or start a STR this year!


House details-

PP- $100,000

Conventional Mortgage 30 year 5% down $740 a month

reno total- $17,000

ARV expected- $145,000

800 Sq ft 2 bed 1 bath

C plus neighborhood in Cedar Rapids, Iowa

1Reply
54 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 229 posts · 229 votes
4y

@Adam McAllister best answer is this:

Find the money! You’re in the right place to do so....

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Washington DC · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    You need health and safety items in and working. Wait on the flooring, many lenders can close without finished flooring, or apply for a 203k (but then you are stuck with 1.75 in mortgage insurance) which can give you the funds to finish.  Use a lender credit to keep the costs down and wait 6 months to refinance back to conventional when everything is complete.

  • Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2019 · 314 posts · 280 votes
    4y

    Great to hear someone at your age jumping in and taking action.  Are you networked with any other real estate investors in your area?  If so, is partnering with someone an option where they fund to the finish line and you share some profits?  Does it have some added value already for someone to buy you out and take over?  Its a very similar situation that happened to my son (19 year old) when he got in too deep on a flip and ended up selling before he finished.  

    The CC route is always an option as well.  With some low interest terms, it could make sense.

    Best of luck to a fellow Iowan! (we lives in DSM for many years before moving south)

  • Bonnie LowPro Member
    Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y
    If all you need is another $7k the easiest route is to go to a local bank or credit union and see if you can apply for a personal loan. Local banks and credit unions typically have low interest rates on these types of personal lines of credit. Or you could use a personal loan lender (search online), SoFi is one that comes to mind although I've never used them myself. Or go to a friend or family member and offer them 10% on a $7k loan. Your payment would be nominal.
  • Investor · Cedar Rapids, IA · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Joseph Bafia:

    Great to hear someone at your age jumping in and taking action.  Are you networked with any other real estate investors in your area?  If so, is partnering with someone an option where they fund to the finish line and you share some profits?  Does it have some added value already for someone to buy you out and take over?  Its a very similar situation that happened to my son (19 year old) when he got in too deep on a flip and ended up selling before he finished.  

    The CC route is always an option as well.  With some low interest terms, it could make sense.

    Best of luck to a fellow Iowan! (we lives in DSM for many years before moving south)

    Thanks for the reply Joseph! After discovering REI I know have some pretty big goals for the next 10 years. I do not currently know anybody in the area that is invested in real estate however I do know quite a handful of business owners that I could ask. I plan on keeping it as I am in a very quite neighborhood with very low taxes so it is perfect for me to live in for now unless another deal comes on and i could grow faster.

  • Investor · Cedar Rapids, IA · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Bonnie Low:
    If all you need is another $7k the easiest route is to go to a local bank or credit union and see if you can apply for a personal loan. Local banks and credit unions typically have low interest rates on these types of personal lines of credit. Or you could use a personal loan lender (search online), SoFi is one that comes to mind although I've never used them myself. Or go to a friend or family member and offer them 10% on a $7k loan. Your payment would be nominal.

     After weighing the pros and cons of CC and personal loans, I think I am going to go with the personal loan as you suggest to play it safe. I can settle with paying a little interest on a personal loan rather than being risky with a credit card. I am currently at 25% DTI so it should not be a problem. Thanks for the reply and I hope to update after i am done! This house has been completely changed since I have purchased it!

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 229 posts · 229 votes
    4y

    @Adam McAllister best answer is this:

    Find the money! You’re in the right place to do so....

  • Real Estate Agent · Owatonna, MN · Member since 2017 · 221 posts · 152 votes
    4y

    @Adam McAllister get a personal loan or a private loan from a friend or family member. I wouldn't recommend credit cards as that will mess up your utilization rate and could decrease your credit score making it harder or impossible to refi out

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    4y

    $45K is a good salary, but I guess it depends on where you live.  I'd talk to a bank about a loan or do part on a 0% credit card as long as you can pay it back before interest kicks in.

    You mention you are at 25% DTI, so you have room. but you also mention wanting to buy a duplex or start a short term rental-where will that money come from?

  • Bonnie LowPro Member
    Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Adam McAllister glad I could be of some help!

  • Investor · Cedar Rapids, IA · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Theresa Harris:

    $45K is a good salary, but I guess it depends on where you live.  I'd talk to a bank about a loan or do part on a 0% credit card as long as you can pay it back before interest kicks in.

    You mention you are at 25% DTI, so you have room. but you also mention wanting to buy a duplex or start a short term rental-where will that money come from?

     A combination of cash out refi money and a partner

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.