How to estimate closing costs - full cash offer MD

How to estimate closing costs - full cash offer MD

New to Real Estate · Baltimore · Member since 2021 · 13 posts · 6 votes

I've heard various estimates for closing costs, ranging from 2.5-5% of the property value to the $1500-$2500 that the BP calculator suggests. I'm assuming that all cash offers will be a bit cheaper than convention financing closing costs, since it wouldn't have the lender fees.

Any good heuristics for all cash offers in MD? We've put a couple offers in but no accepted contracts yet, so I'm hoping to hone our estimates in the meantime!

0Reply
77 views

Most Popular Reply

Tom GimerBusiness Member
DMV · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
4y

I'm not a big fan of % estimates.

For Maryland cash deals you need to add up the following: State Transfer taxes; State Recordation taxes; County (or City) Transfer taxes; Recording fees. Every county is different. Every contract can allocate these items differently.

I would also factor in property tax allocation based upon July - June tax year. Some jurisdictions are way pricier than others. In order to record a Deed, taxes must be paid current.

Gimer Law516 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Skagit Valley, WA · Member since 2021 · 256 posts · 283 votes
    4y

    Closing costs are made up primarily of lender fees.... plus the escrow side of things (escrow fees, recording fees, title insurance, etc.) You're right that it's sometimes tricky to isolate and hone in on what your exact closing costs will be. And yes, of course it's all different when you go with just cash.

    One of the tools I love as an agent is the free app - Chicago Agent One. This comes from the Chicago Title & Escrow company. I like to use several of their calculators but in the case you mention - you could use the "Buyer" calculator, enter the correct information (address of property, county, sale price, financing, etc.), hit "compute" and it will provide the figure that you need to bring to closing. Finally, click on "fixed closing costs" and you get some very accurate data of what your costs will be. 

    It's really designed more for buyers with loans, and sellers getting a very accurate net sheet - but with a few work arounds it can be helpful with understanding those closing costs.

    (When I'm just running numbers quickly for myself for investment properties I feel good just going with 3% - that usually gives space for lender fees and escrow fees....)

  • New to Real Estate · Baltimore · Member since 2021 · 13 posts · 6 votes
    4y

    Thanks @Tim Johnson! It looks like Chicago Agent One isn’t in Maryland; but I was able to find another free app from a local title company. Thanks for the idea!

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    4y
    I estimate 2.25% on cash, 3% financed assuming 50/50 transfer taxes.  This of course varies based on price point as fixed title costs are a bigger portion for at a cheaper price and a smaller ratio on more expensive properties.
  • Tom GimerBusiness Member
    DMV · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    I'm not a big fan of % estimates.

    For Maryland cash deals you need to add up the following: State Transfer taxes; State Recordation taxes; County (or City) Transfer taxes; Recording fees. Every county is different. Every contract can allocate these items differently.

    I would also factor in property tax allocation based upon July - June tax year. Some jurisdictions are way pricier than others. In order to record a Deed, taxes must be paid current.

    Gimer Law516 Reviews
  • Investor · Colorado Springs · Member since 2016 · 232 posts · 150 votes
    4y

    I agree with Tom, you really need to look at the specific deal/timing/location of the deal. For example, If you're buying in August and the seller has paid their taxes for the full tax year (July 1-June 30) of the current year, your closing costs will include reimbursing the seller for 11 months of prepaid taxes. Transfer fees vary by Maryland county. 

  • Crystal SmithPro Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Brian Silvia:

    I've heard various estimates for closing costs, ranging from 2.5-5% of the property value to the $1500-$2500 that the BP calculator suggests. I'm assuming that all cash offers will be a bit cheaper than convention financing closing costs, since it wouldn't have the lender fees.

    Any good heuristics for all cash offers in MD? We've put a couple offers in but no accepted contracts yet, so I'm hoping to hone our estimates in the meantime!


    We use the First AmericanTitle Fee Calculator:  It covers every county in the US.

  • Property Manager · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    As others have noted, there are plenty of great free, or inexpensive, online calculators. Make sure you use one that is jurisdiction specific (i.e., for Maryland you want one that is specific to each county and Baltimore City). I like Federal Title's Close It! app the best in terms of accuracy and ease of use, but they do have a small monthly subscription fee. Good luck!

  • Ozzy SirimsiBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 782 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Joe Norman:

    As others have noted, there are plenty of great free, or inexpensive, online calculators. Make sure you use one that is jurisdiction specific (i.e., for Maryland you want one that is specific to each county and Baltimore City). I like Federal Title's Close It! app the best in terms of accuracy and ease of use, but they do have a small monthly subscription fee. Good luck!

    Does it still work???
    App stop working and web site also stopped on me.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.