What to do when...you've succumbed to "Analysis Paralysis"?

What to do when...you've succumbed to "Analysis Paralysis"?

Rental Property Investor · Member since 2022 · 9 posts · 6 votes

I am a first-time investor currently building my foundational real estate knowledge by consuming as much BP content as I can (books and podcasts!) on top of taking real estate classes in my place of residence, DC. I feel like the more I learn, the more I ponder on what the best investment strategy is to start out....I am originally from Indiana, and have most of my family relocated to Cincinnati (with my brother-in-law there being a respected real estate agent willing to help me), so am looking to maybe purchase a multifamily unit, or short-term there, but find myself doubting myself. There are so many types of properties, markets, and considerations! Any general advice for order of operations, best tier II markets to dig into, or words of wisdom for running a deal analysis? Appreciate any and all wisdom from some of the more seasoned experts!

1Reply
55 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
3y

Put down the books and podcasts and analyze real opportunities.  It will significantly accelerate execution (and defining your strategy, market, and criteria).  "Doing" is much better than "reading how to do".  Immersion.

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    3y

    Put down the books and podcasts and analyze real opportunities.  It will significantly accelerate execution (and defining your strategy, market, and criteria).  "Doing" is much better than "reading how to do".  Immersion.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y

    Like @Mike Dymski said, stop analyzing. Back away from the books and videos, you are hiding behind them.

    Go out anywhere and buy anything...start with an inexpensive LTR. You learn best by doing. I'm sure you're smart enough to not lose your pants on the first deal.

    Bottom line, this is not that hard. I'd bet you that almost none of the experienced investors on here took any courses or read any books at all.

    Repeat after me - this is not that hard...... :-)

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    Like @Mike Dymski said, stop analyzing. Back away from the books and videos, you are hiding behind them.

    Go out anywhere and buy anything...start with an inexpensive LTR. You learn best by doing. I'm sure you're smart enough to not lose your pants on the first deal.

    Bottom line, this is not that hard. I'd bet you that almost none of the experienced investors on here took any courses or read any books at all.

    Repeat after me - this is not that hard...... :-)


     I definitely didn't (although maybe I should have!). There's nothing wrong with reading and listening - I have a podcast on here, so I can't say anything down on it - but at some point you either do it or you don't do it. Start cheap and easy, somewhere that you know and can access. If you're in DC, you might know Cinci but you're 400 miles away. That's not an easy way to run your first property. I would think about maybe somewhere in Northern Virginia if you're in DC. Or maybe Delaware. Places you can drive to in a couple of hours at most if necessary. You can't run down the street to check on a house in Cinci. 

    If you start with a single family house, you always have an exit plan - selling the house to someone that wants to live in it. In the meantime you get a lot of experience in renovating, marketing, tenant relations, learning your state landlording laws. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    3y

    At some point you need to stop reading and listening to others and go for it.  You have a family member who I assume you trust, sit down with them and come up with 5 options and then run the numbers.  Then go and look at the top 3.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Gatos, CA · Member since 2017 · 123 posts · 131 votes
    3y

    @Sally Pearson Focus on one type of property and start searching for that property everyday. Get comfortable with your number and get ready to write offers. Start getting a feel for what’s a deal, a steal, and unreal in your market. On a deal I’d run the numbers and see if I could get a decent offer accepted. For a steal I’d write the offer with a contingency and then run the numbers to make sure nothing was missed and if it really is a steal of a deal. These deals I need to move quick or make happen quick because they’ll disappear fast. These days I can offer on an unrealistic seller and get them into a realistic price range. Just did a deal that the seller wanted 4.7m and got it for 3m, it’s one of the few for the year that’ll hit that number but it’s possible and we know our market like the back of our hand.

    To sum it up know your market better than the agents when they say let me run some comps for you, you should be able to say these are the comps how about you run them now and see what we come up with. Or tell them to write the offer here and let’s tie it up, always leave yourself a contingency for any issues and due diligence. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Washington DC · Member since 2016 · 847 posts · 656 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Sally Pearson:

    I am a first-time investor currently building my foundational real estate knowledge by consuming as much BP content as I can (books and podcasts!) on top of taking real estate classes in my place of residence, DC. I feel like the more I learn, the more I ponder on what the best investment strategy is to start out....I am originally from Indiana, and have most of my family relocated to Cincinnati (with my brother-in-law there being a respected real estate agent willing to help me), so am looking to maybe purchase a multifamily unit, or short-term there, but find myself doubting myself. There are so many types of properties, markets, and considerations! Any general advice for order of operations, best tier II markets to dig into, or words of wisdom for running a deal analysis? Appreciate any and all wisdom from some of the more seasoned experts!

    Honestly if the market is going up you can make rookie mistakes and the market will generally cover you, however when the market is declining like it is right now rookie mistakes often get compounded, so take the next few months really keep learning, consider your goals and most importantly your risk tolerance and once you see signs the market is recovering jump in and as long as you’ve taken an appropriate risk for your situation and prices are going up you’ll be fine.
  • Wale LawalBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    @Sally Pearson

    Deal analysis is a specialized skill that you will master with experience.

    Start by learning as much as you can and working as an agent will give you lot of experience and knowledge.

    Join real estate investment clubs.

    Have clear investment goals.

    Understand the local market and potential growth aspects.

    Get in touch with a local agent or investor and shorten your learning curve and save you a lot of headaches as they tend to understand the market better.

    All the best!

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y

    I agree with the others. Go talk to a lender this week and see how much you can qualify for. Then start analyzing properties in your local market. If nothing works after 30 days, consider switching to Cincinnati where you have help and analyze properties there. Set a goal to have something under contract within 90 days. Find someone willing to keep you on track or motivate you.

    It's honestly simple: stop thinking and start doing. You will learn the rest through experience.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    Education without action will just confuse you. You may even know more about real estate than I do, doesn't benefit you. Start banging out calls 

  • Jay ThomasPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 715 votes
    3y

    What really matters is consistently taking action - that's the real key to success. Sure, you should stay informed and knowledgeable when it comes to investing but in the end, you need to go out there and get your hands dirty. Don't be afraid of making mistakes or failing - because it's through failure that we learn most effectively! So don't be discouraged, just get out there and start investing. Who knows, you may even surprise yourself with your success! Good luck!

  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    @Sally Pearson

    1. do you have funds for a down payment + reserves for an investment property?  or are you still saving?

    2. do you already own a primary residence in DC, or are you renting?

    3. do you have the time and money to make frequent trips in person to Cincinnati to go to REIA meetings, network, and view properties?

    if you do 3, this will give you an advantage.  everyone in a high cost market wants to push the "buy profitable OOS investment property 2000 miles away" button.  but: there is no such button.

  • Tim JacobPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2016 · 520 posts · 379 votes
    3y

    I would start networking by going to meetups and talking to various people in the industry.  I'm sure you have started to get some ideas of what might work.  Run them by here on the forums and by people at the meetups.  If you are still renting in DC maybe buy a place with an extra bedroom or 2 you want to live in and rent the others.  That way your housing payment is going toward your net worth.  I would consult someone to make sure it can be a good rental if that is your plan if you leave assuming you don't want to stay in DC.  I would get a real investors agent.  If making it a rental is where you are heading toward.  Someone that can give you real estimates about capex repair after inspection based on real experience.  Someone who has real long term experience in property management and leasing.   Someone who knows the neighborhoods.  A lot of agents can just give you comps and give you very generic information in terms of renovation like a bathroom costs x and a kitchen costs y. Some agents can give you more accurate analysis then ballparking maintenance/repair/ renovation and expectations over the difficulties of property management in the area.  A lot won't go that far and considering they are paid by a seller I would try to get someone who can give the best advice even if its not a friend or a friend of a friend/relative.  If they sound disinterested or not willing to go the extra mile I would go with someone else for properties you haven't seen yet.  

    Other advice is being local unless the property is legitimately turn key.  I would be very apprehensive over a so called turnkey company.  I have seen a few in my area and they basically renovate properties in horrible neighborhoods and market them as turnkey to out of state investors who don't want to come to the property by telling them some lies about how they can just sit back and collect a check.  The pictures are nice but things don't work out usually because of the tenants.  A heavy renovation is a lot to trust to other people unless you really compensate them and there goes the profit.      

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Cape Cod, MA · Member since 2018 · 73 posts · 17 votes
    3y

    i would learn how to comp, figure out the area you want to invest in, what niche you are going for, and then execute. Skip tract, call, text, email, direct mail. Learn, take action, learn and take action. Keep moving and dont get stuck in the " consuming too much info " period. 

    Took me 6 years of analysis paralysis for me to finally take control of my life and figure out my path.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2022 · 9 posts · 6 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nicholas L.:

    @Sally Pearson

    1. do you have funds for a down payment + reserves for an investment property?  or are you still saving?

    2. do you already own a primary residence in DC, or are you renting?

    3. do you have the time and money to make frequent trips in person to Cincinnati to go to REIA meetings, network, and view properties?

    if you do 3, this will give you an advantage.  everyone in a high cost market wants to push the "buy profitable OOS investment property 2000 miles away" button.  but: there is no such button.


     1. Thankfully have a tech sales job that has allowed me to save 6 figures and 790 credit score but haven't owned property before. I also have a wealth management account with a line of credit offering. 

    2. I am currently renting...my lease is up in September and I hope to purchase in DC and houseback, but its such an expensive market! I figured it would be best to start my real estate investment journey in the midwest. Have my LLC, business credit card, and a strong mentor who used to work with me, but quit his job to do REI full-time as he is doing extremely well. He is a wholesaler and close friend who has offered to guide me through my first purchase, so I'm thinking I should just follow his lead, albeit not blindly...i.e. asking questions along the way.

    3. My family all lives in Cincy with my brother-in-law being a real estate agent. He has introduced me to a lender I am working with, as well as a property manager/investor. I normally visit Cincy 3-4 times a year, which is why I figured it would be a good midwest option for investing!

  • Rental Property Investor · Oregon City, OR · Member since 2020 · 324 posts · 780 votes
    3y

    seconding @Mike Dymski. There's a million things to learn and factors to consider. What you need to remember is you'll most likely make mistakes, but real estate is highly forgiving. Pick a strategy that fits with your time and financial situation. Run deal analysis. If the deal works, buy it. You'll learn more from that then anything else. Plus, a lot of BP content just goes over sunshine and rainbows. 

    I've had nightmare tenants, evictions and massive repair bills. None of them ruined me financially or hurt my portfolio. The rental that just had all those issues is now cashflowing 2x more than it originally was. 

    Buying your first property will teach you more than anything you've read. Investing is a numbers game. If the numbers work, go for it. 

  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    @Sally Pearson

    all of that sounds good!  those are things that should give you an advantage out of state, over the typical beginner who has no contacts in the area they're looking in.

    there are a couple of BP threads going on house hacking in DC too if you haven't seen them:

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Sally Pearson:

    Then you really just need to get out of your own way and go for it....I never had any of the above and have done really well, I'd bet most of the veterans on here never had that income or score when they started either..... :-)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.