Interviewing a General Contractor

Interviewing a General Contractor

Realtor · Kannapolis, NC · Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 4 votes

So I'm finishing up building my fix n' flip team and the last on my list is a general contractor. What things should I ask during the first meeting to properly vet a GC? Thanks!

0Reply
73 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · CA · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
2y
Quote from @Shaun Fogleman:

So I'm finishing up building my fix n' flip team and the last on my list is a general contractor. What things should I ask during the first meeting to properly vet a GC? Thanks!


 Are you licensed? They should prove it.                                             Do you have liability insurance? They should prove it.              Workers comp? Proof.                How long have you been in business? Proof.                          Have you worked with investors? Proof.                                              May I see some of your work?           References?                                         Do you write legal concise contracts? Proof

Now you double check everything on your own.

You learn more about remodeling and construction on your own and learn from the contractors.

Get multiple estimates in the beginning until you develop a trustworthy relationship with a contractor.

Here's a link to NC contractor licensing. Know it front to back.

https://ncclic.org/

Theres some good contractors on BP, hoping they opine on this thread 

Best of luck on your flip(s)!



See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · CA · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Shaun Fogleman:

    So I'm finishing up building my fix n' flip team and the last on my list is a general contractor. What things should I ask during the first meeting to properly vet a GC? Thanks!


     Are you licensed? They should prove it.                                             Do you have liability insurance? They should prove it.              Workers comp? Proof.                How long have you been in business? Proof.                          Have you worked with investors? Proof.                                              May I see some of your work?           References?                                         Do you write legal concise contracts? Proof

    Now you double check everything on your own.

    You learn more about remodeling and construction on your own and learn from the contractors.

    Get multiple estimates in the beginning until you develop a trustworthy relationship with a contractor.

    Here's a link to NC contractor licensing. Know it front to back.

    https://ncclic.org/

    Theres some good contractors on BP, hoping they opine on this thread 

    Best of luck on your flip(s)!



  • Rental Property Investor · Doylestown, PA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    @Shaun Fogleman - Past jobs they've done and references.  Keep in mind, it is very easy to weed out contractors as there are A LOT of obvious bad ones.  If you get a bad vibe upon meeting with them...trust that feeling because they will only get worse, not better.  The tricky part is separating out the smooth talking contractors (that suck) and the capable, dependable contractors.  That's best done through word of mouth, how long they've been in business, how busy they are...  Ideally you can start with a smaller project and if they work out then move them on to whole building reno.  That's how I continue to build my team now as I have a lot of properties but in the beginning it is more difficult, especially with a flip because you can't dole out small jobs.

  • Investor · NC/SC · Member since 2023 · 149 posts · 77 votes
    2y
    The Book on Flipping Houses - J ScottQuote from @Shaun Fogleman:

    So I'm finishing up building my fix n' flip team and the last on my list is a general contractor. What things should I ask during the first meeting to properly vet a GC? Thanks!


     Hey Shaun, Welcome to BP!

    A great book to read/listen to if you are interested in fix n' flips I'd highly recommend, that explains the process of hiring contractors, is The Book on Flipping Houses by J Scott. Chapter 15 specifically. Link below.

    The Book on Flipping Houses - J Scott Audible

    The Book on Flipping Houses - J Scott Hard Copy

    Good Luck!

  • Angie CastroBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2022 · 133 posts · 128 votes
    2y

    What everyone said! Another indication of a good contractor is a very specific contract and quote! The contract should protect both owner and contractor and it should highlight responsibilities and what all they will do. From who buys light fixtures to which ones they will put up and which ones will not. This is important because both of you want to have a clear understanding of the work that will be done so don't just assume they will do some things and have it in your contract.

    Angie Castro with Monarch Group4.847 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.