What a property sold for in the past.

8 Replies

Hey all - I recently read a post somewhere where a beginner wanted to know if it was possible to find out past sales information on a property. They were excited about a property, but were curious about the history.

Title companies have access to this information. Contact your local title company and let them know you want to find out the history of a home. They should pull up past sales prices and dates for you. If they won't do it without charging you, call your local realtor and have them request the information from title. It is a service the title companies do FREE for realtors in order to get business.

Thanks for the tip. I actually asked my realtor to do this for me and they were willing to help out. I appreciate the great advice.

Also, Our local court house has the research data available. A quick trip to the court house and reveal LOTS of info.

Lisa

Many times basic history is available online. Check online with the Tax Appraisal Office for your individual county.

Thanks Josh, that's useful info to those of us who are newer investors. I have found in the on-line DC Tax Assessment lists, that the info of the property's last sale, is sometimes, listed. It's good to know the realtor/ title company route is the way to go for the property sales history.

Have your title company give you access to fidelitypassport.com. You can see sales history off the reports its generates.

Originally posted by Justin S.:
Have your title company give you access to fidelitypassport.com. You can see sales history off the reports its generates.

1 vote for FidelityPassport.com and Justin. It has a lot of other relevant data as well. I use it to prior to contacting my REALTOR to see if it is worth taking up his time. Combined with other online sites, you should be able to really see if it is worth a second look.

At some point in your investing career, effective time management will be your greatest ally, so learning to sift through all the would-be deals so you can get to the worthwhile ones is key.

Originally posted by Justin S.:

Justin Do you pay any fees to use fidelity pasport?

Justin Do you pay any fees to use fidelity pasport?

No. My title company gives them to me for free.

Too many title companies will provide you the service for free to lure your business. Go to a local REIA meeting and talk with a title rep. I'm sure they'll give you access. I've heard each report costs the title company a $1. They will limit the number you can use until you start closing with them, then you can ask for more. Good luck.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here