Finding a good agent?

3 Replies

I realize this question has been posted before, and I have read through the previous posts, but didn't see the specifics that I am hoping for.

I am starting the process of buying my first home. I am planning to buy a 2 on 1 and live in one rent out the other. If this goes well, I hope to expand to a few more properties over time.

I am trying to find an agent to work with. I have a few names from friends and am setting up meetings with each of them. My question is what specifically should I be looking for in an agent as a buyer? Are there good questions to ask them? The previous posts I've read all seem to be speaking from the perspective of someone selling a home, but I am looking to buy one. Is there anything different that I should be looking for in a real estate agent as a buyer?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

p.s. I'm located in San Diego, CA if that makes a difference.

Hey @Michele Stone I'd look for someone who:

1.) is patient and good at explaining things. You can tell this on the phone with someone. If they sound irritated, move on.

2.) Listens to you. Also, you can tell this on the phone.

3.) Has worked with investors in the past (this is not required if #1 and #2 are followed.)

Hope that helps some!

Medium fbprofileBrandon Turner, BiggerPockets | http://www.BiggerPockets.com | Podcast Guest on Show #92

1. Are they patient enough to walk through questions and scenarios with you

2. Do they understand what to look for in terms of your specific property type

3. What is their availability to take you to showings

4. What loan types have they worked with before (Helps for special situations)

5. Do they throw out other useful ideas to you (maybe something you didn't consider)

6. Have they worked with investors (As mentioned before it's not a need, but is helpful so they understand your mindset

Just some tips.

Medium rhplogo jpgDan Mackin, Red Hawk Properties | [email protected] | 720‑971‑7139 | http://www.redhawkteam.com/ | CO Agent # FA.100056958

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you