In seek of a mentor

10 Replies

My husband and I are interested in investing in some properties. However, we are looking for a mentor. Is there anyone located in the Chicago area that is familiar and successful in the reality industry that would be willing to meet with us? Thanks!!

Kori

I'd definitely recommend going to your local REAI group, people at those are usually more than happy to help out.

I'll tell you the first thing that everyone on BP is going to tell you: check out the forums and blog posts and free ebooks here on BP.

It's good advice though! There is a GREAT amount of info on this site.

My suggestion: before you post AnyMore questions, type it in the search box in the upper right hand corner there.

Happy Investing!

ShaRa

Good Business Is Easy To Find

This post has been removed.

@Kori Caldwell The quick answer to your question is no. You may get lucky and find a mentor, but the reality is, they are probably busy. Asking for anyone to make time out of their day to meet with you and explain how to start, is a tough sell. It would be better to approach it from the angle of, how can I add value or what's in it for them.

Start with the forums, listen to podcasts, read a couple books, network at REIA meetings and you'll then get an idea of how to start. From there, you'll be better prepared and be ready with better questions to ask when you run across someone that has success in REI.

"Travel as far as you can see, and when you get there, you'll see a little further."

George

Join your local REIA! That is the best place to find your local community.

If you go to www.nationareia.com you can find a REIA in your area and if you are ever in Seattle you can come visit us!

@George Makakufai. Thank you but I have done the above. I have read blogs, listened to podcasts and read articles. I don't take it lightly. In fact we currently have a successful rental but are looking to expand. Mentors are common and believe I can find someone that would be willing to take time out of their busy schedule to help, as I am sure they were in my position at some point as well. However, I appreciate and respect your input.

@katherene thank you! I just our local group! :)

@Kori Caldwell I personally cannot take on a mentor right now. But we are having a meetup next week, April 9th from 6:30 - 9:30 at Celtic Crown 4301 N Western Ave Chicago if you want to come.

@Kori Caldwell IMHO, you don't really need a mentor. What specific questions do you have about taking the next steps? Just ask them here on BP and you will get all the answers. I started out asking all questions here on BP and applied the knowledge I learned here.

We have a local networking event on April 9th where you can meet local investors and run some ideas by them.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here