My First Investment – Brazil Airbnb Model

My First Investment – Brazil Airbnb Model

Investor · Minnesota, USA · Member since 2025 · 14 posts · 16 votes

Hey everyone,

I recently made the leap from a career path in medicine to real estate investing. My first opportunity came through a former colleague and mentor who co-owns a franchised Airbnb company based in Brazil.

It might sound unconventional—especially for someone with zero experience in real estate—but I saw it as the perfect entry point. This investment gives me the chance to learn through mentorship, gain exposure to the international short-term rental market, and contribute value from my background in sales by helping expand the business into the U.S.

Of course, there are risks and caveats with international investing, but I’m excited to be involved and eager to learn how returns play out. I’d love to connect with anyone who has experience in international real estate or franchised Airbnb models.

This first step is also motivating me to start investing locally here in the U.S.—I’m currently working on getting pre-approved for my first mortgage. Looking forward to learning from you all and seeing what kind of opportunities we can build together.

5Reply
86 views

Most Popular Reply

Rene HosmanPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2024 · 583 posts · 653 votes
1y

Congrats @Keegan Rosett I'd love to hear more about the Airbnb Brazil opportunity and how that's gone for you! I've certainly met US investors who have invested in Canada and MX but Brazil is a first. 

I'd also recommend following @GarrettBrownRE on instagram and watching his BiggerStays youtube series if STRs in the states is something you're interested in. 

You mentioned getting pre-approved for your first US property but you didn't say what strategy you plan to use for

BiggerPockets
See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bryce JamisonPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Mebane, NC · Member since 2015 · 493 posts · 439 votes
    1y

    I agree about wanted to invest locally. Ignoring the risk of investing in Brazil, I like to be able to personally visit my properties. If I wanted property I never saw, or at least could see, I'd invest in REITs. What you're describing kind of sounds like a REIT.

    If you're nervous to start an Airbnb on your own you can check out "Short-Term Rental Long-Term Wealth" by Avery Carl. It's a playbook for how to get started. Rob Abasolo is also a good resource.

    I'd also wait until my rental business had consistently produced income for several months and I had a big , beefy emergency fund before left my W2 job. 

    • Investor · Minnesota, USA · Member since 2025 · 14 posts · 16 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Bryce Jamison:

      I agree about wanted to invest locally. Ignoring the risk of investing in Brazil, I like to be able to personally visit my properties. If I wanted property I never saw, or at least could see, I'd invest in REITs. What you're describing kind of sounds like a REIT.

      If you're nervous to start an Airbnb on your own you can check out "Short-Term Rental Long-Term Wealth" by Avery Carl. It's a playbook for how to get started. Rob Abasolo is also a good resource.

      I'd also wait until my rental business had consistently produced income for several months and I had a big , beefy emergency fund before left my W2 job. 


       Hey Bryce,


      Thanks for the advice. I will check out the resources you provided. Do you somewhere I can follow you and stay connected? Have a great day. 

    • Bryce JamisonPro Member
      Rental Property Investor · Mebane, NC · Member since 2015 · 493 posts · 439 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Keegan Rosett:
      Quote from @Bryce Jamison:

      I agree about wanted to invest locally. Ignoring the risk of investing in Brazil, I like to be able to personally visit my properties. If I wanted property I never saw, or at least could see, I'd invest in REITs. What you're describing kind of sounds like a REIT.

      If you're nervous to start an Airbnb on your own you can check out "Short-Term Rental Long-Term Wealth" by Avery Carl. It's a playbook for how to get started. Rob Abasolo is also a good resource.

      I'd also wait until my rental business had consistently produced income for several months and I had a big , beefy emergency fund before left my W2 job. 


       Hey Bryce,


      Thanks for the advice. I will check out the resources you provided. Do you somewhere I can follow you and stay connected? Have a great day. 

      I'm not a big social media guy, but I'm as active on here as my life allows me to be, and you can find my contact info on my profile if you want to chat.

      I also have a LinkedIn if anyone is curious about the W2 side of me
  • Rene HosmanPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2024 · 583 posts · 653 votes
    1y

    Congrats @Keegan Rosett I'd love to hear more about the Airbnb Brazil opportunity and how that's gone for you! I've certainly met US investors who have invested in Canada and MX but Brazil is a first. 

    I'd also recommend following @GarrettBrownRE on instagram and watching his BiggerStays youtube series if STRs in the states is something you're interested in. 

    You mentioned getting pre-approved for your first US property but you didn't say what strategy you plan to use for

    BiggerPockets
    • Investor · Minnesota, USA · Member since 2025 · 14 posts · 16 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Rene Hosman:

      Congrats @Keegan Rosett I'd love to hear more about the Airbnb Brazil opportunity and how that's gone for you! I've certainly met US investors who have invested in Canada and MX but Brazil is a first. 

      I'd also recommend following @GarrettBrownRE on instagram and watching his BiggerStays youtube series if STRs in the states is something you're interested in. 

      You mentioned getting pre-approved for your first US property but you didn't say what strategy you plan to use for


       Hey Rene,

      I will keep you posted and provide updates as we make the journey. Thanks for the resource for Garrett on Instagram. I will follow him. My passion was always healthcare growing up so I’d love to find people in the mid-term rental space to help out as a starter and grow from there. I’d love to connect and get any advice you have. Have a blessed day. 

      Best, 


      Keegan  

    • Rene HosmanPro Member
      Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2024 · 583 posts · 653 votes
      1y

      @Keegan Rosett have you looked at Zeona McIntyre's book 30 day stay? Great resource for mid-term rental info

      BiggerPockets
    • Rene HosmanPro Member
      Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2024 · 583 posts · 653 votes
      1y

      @Keegan Rosett https://store.biggerpockets.com/products/30-day-stay?srsltid=AfmBOoolv-MpHaJOS57fViCeRcpC8c2ii8bGJ5Bnt3guZtDiP9OYnziJ 

      the link to the book mentioned above! 

      BiggerPockets
    • Investor · Minnesota, USA · Member since 2025 · 14 posts · 16 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Rene Hosman:

      @Keegan Rosett https://store.biggerpockets.com/products/30-day-stay?srsltid=AfmBOoolv-MpHaJOS57fViCeRcpC8c2ii8bGJ5Bnt3guZtDiP9OYnziJ 

      the link to the book mentioned above! 

      Hey Rene, 

      I wanted to update you that this book is ordered. Thank you kindly for the suggestion. I look forward to diving into this. Have a wonderful day. 

      Best,

      Keegan 
  • Mike LambertPro Member
    Investor · The Americas and Europe · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    @Keegan Rosett I've been investing internationally for years and have shared my knowledge and experience answering hundreds of posts in the forums here. I'm not sure how useful that's going to be for you since it seems like you've invested and gotten involved in a business rather than properties if I got this right.

    • Investor · Minnesota, USA · Member since 2025 · 14 posts · 16 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Mike Lambert:

      @Keegan Rosett I've been investing internationally for years and have shared my knowledge and experience answering hundreds of posts in the forums here. I'm not sure how useful that's going to be for you since it seems like you've invested and gotten involved in a business rather than properties if I got this right.


       Hey Mike, 

      I would love to speak with you more on the model that I have invested in. The business involves the purchase and or renting of properties to Airbnb out to people. You are correct in that I am not involved in the direct purchasing and owning of the properties but I was able to negotiate some equity in the company. Let's connect. 

    • Mike LambertPro Member
      Investor · The Americas and Europe · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      1y

      @Keegan Rosett

      I'm not sure I understand what's the business like explained like that but feel free to shoot me a DM.

  • Developer · Austin TX · Member since 2025 · 19 posts · 9 votes
    1y

    Love it. Congrats. I agree focusing locally and really knowing your market is key to long-term success. Wishing you the best as you grow both internationally and at home.

  • Member since 2025 · 244 posts · 98 votes
    1y

    @Keegan Rosett  Welcome to the space and congrats on taking that first bold step! Investing internationally right out of the gate is definitely unique.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.