If you could start anywhere...

19 Replies

I want to start off by saying this website has been exponentially helpful with any questions I have had and even questions I didn't know that I had. Thank you @Joshua Dorkin and @Brandon Turner for giving us this awesome resource. I have been following Brandon since 'Investing in your twenties'.

My situation is a little unique, as I have mentioned on a few posts before I am currently serving my last year of active duty service and am looking at a number of places to start investing next year.

My real estate investing strategy will ultimately be buy and hold, preferably mult-familys . I plan on doing flips as well as wholesaling to generate capitol to fund these investments.

Right now I am looking at local markets (I am from Kentucky). Some of the markets I am considering are Lexington, Covington/Cincinnati, Evansville, In. and Clarksville/Nashville TN. But I am open to exploring other options.

If you have any input on the matter I appreciate the support! Thank you again Biggerpockets family!

@Kameron Patterson I'm not sure if Lexington is the best buy and hold city right now. We have a fairly strong seller's market at this point with houses in good shape expecting multiple offers the first week listed. It is however a good place to flip due to these conditions.

@Harrison Helterbrand son would you then suggest I start doing flips in Lexington and hold in the nearby communities such as Versailles and Georgetown and even Cincinnati/nky?

@Kameron Patterson it depends on your goals and timeline. I would be cautious with Georgetown right now as Toyota, the city's biggest employer, just announced they are moving 1000 jobs to Texas. That should deflate rents a bit over the next two years and probably home values as well. Versailles is a good option for buy and hold due to the lower acquisition costs, but I'd have to look into it further to make an honest assessment. I'm not as familiar with nky (live and work in Lexington).

I can only say from experience as an agent here in Lexington that it's a strong seller's market.

@Harrison Helterbrand thanks for your feedback. Do you work with investors? My plan is still to move to Lexington but I'd like to be an owner occupant in a multi as I try to flip as well as do some buy and holds.

I do. Shoot me an email at [email protected] and I'll get you some deeper info. I think your strategy is very smart. I wish I had been that smart at 24. Thanks for your service btw

@Kameron Patterson - Thank you for you kind words and for being a part of the BiggerPockets family. We appreciate your membership, and it looks like you're already witnessing the power of engaging here . . . enjoy and good luck!

@Joshua Dorkin no problem. And I have already left my review on iTunes. I have been enjoying the website as well as the podcasts. Also ordered several of the books mentioned by your guests.

Keep up the good work! I'll continue passing your website on to the other service members here is Sasebo, Japan!

@Harrison Helterbrand , although Georgetown is going to lose some jobs due to the corporate move to TX it will be getting most of those back due to building the ES350 here in 2015.

That and the line jobs have higher turnover than corporate office work. (high turnover means renters where stable work means ownership) I am preparing for the market to get a bump of motivated sellers as they relocate to TX while the rental market will get a bump in a year and a half. perfect.

http://www.lanereport.com/28234/2014/01/construction-begins-on-new-lexus-assembly-line-in-georgetown/

Originally posted by @Kameron Patterson :
I want to start off by saying this website has been exponentially helpful with any questions I have had and even questions I didn't know that I had. Thank you @Joshua Dorkin and @Brandon Turner for giving us this awesome resource. I have been following Brandon since 'Investing in your twenties'.
My situation is a little unique, as I have mentioned on a few posts before I am currently serving my last year of active duty service and am looking at a number of places to start investing next year.

My real estate investing strategy will ultimately be buy and hold, preferably mult-familys . I plan on doing flips as well as wholesaling to generate capitol to fund these investments.

Right now I am looking at local markets (I am from Kentucky). Some of the markets I am considering are Lexington, Covington/Cincinnati, Evansville, In. and Clarksville/Nashville TN. But I am open to exploring other options.

If you have any input on the matter I appreciate the support! Thank you again Biggerpockets family!

@Kameron Patterson Thank you for what you do. I am also currently serving, but preparing for my life after serving. I am about to move to Clarksville, and will be down there full time in less than three months. Once there I will be involved significantly in my investing, which is also buy and hold. I would recommend Clarksville/Nashville for what you are looking to do. For buy and hold there is no shortage of renters from both Ft Campbell and Austin Peay University. Then you have Nashville just south of there. I would like to link up with you once you get out there if you choose to head out there and we can compare ideas and networks.

@Timothy Trewin I've always liked that area. Especially with the base and college as you mentioned. When's the last time you were there? It seems like there is always new development going on.

My brother owns a bar in Hopkinsville and constantly has people from the 101st coming in and out so marketing should be easier.

@Kameron Patterson , I have yet to live out there but I have known since October that I am going to Ft Campbell. I am in the Army and almost finished with my recruiting assignment in Ft Collins so I am getting stationed out there. Since I have known that I was going to be stationed there I have been researching the area since then. This is how I know what I do know of it. This will be my final assignment so I am planning and preparing for retirement there in case I don't move back to Ft Collins.

Thanks for the shout-out @Kameron Patterson ! :)

I think you are on the right track. Just keep reaching out, asking questions, etc. And reach out anytime!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.