Real Estate investor education-recommended reading

7 Replies

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but what are some of the better books (preferably e-books) on the real estate investing topic? I am looking to gain education in a particular niche, but I would like info on contracts and deals I can get started in with no or little money down. I think i want to start in sub2 deals, flipping or lease optioning homes, but I also like the idea of mobile home investing.

@Markeilsha R.

Hi there,

All the knowledge I have gained in Real Estate has come from being out there and doing it; in the field. I recommend you take up an internship somewhere to get a strong handle on your niche area and see if you really like it. This way you get to know the nooks and crannies, but don't have much risk involved. Many companies would be happy to have you as an intern because they won't have to pay you (or pay you very little). I guarantee a weeks work in the field will give you more experience than months of reading. Good luck!

Markeilsha -

There are PLENTY out there, and most can be had in ebook form. The material here on BP has been most beneficial to me for 2 reasons. The first is there there is interactive discussion from people all around the world. The second is that the info here on BP is current. I am always leary reading through a book about any investment strategies that is 2, 5, 10, or more years old. Some information is timeless, but markets are constantly changing and some strategies aren't applicable or approriate today.

My favorite books so far are by a member here J Scott. He has 2 books on flipping houses, which may be a good fit for you since you mention you have interest in that path.

Hi @Markeilsha R.

Welcome to the site and glad to hear you are interested in all sorts of real estate investing. Over your next few months and years be a "real estate sponge" when it comes to learning about this business of RE investing. As far as education goes this site is amazing with it's free education and access to active investors in the business. With regards to mobile home investments Lonnie Scruggs is always a sure bet to give you some insight on this business.

All the best,

John Fedro

@John Fedro :

Thanks for the welcome! I will definitely follow up and try to soak up everything I can. This business is fascinating, and I can't wait to really get started. I already have one person who would like to lease-option a home I'm looking into. I am really nervous about it, but I have found that when I'm talking to people I have more confidence in my ability to establish myself in this industry.

@Scott S. :

Hey Scott, thanks for the recommendations. I after it posted in went online and downloaded a few ebooks that were free through my amazon membership. I will also be looking into the ebooks offered here. I have heard a few ppl mention the effectiveness of the materials on BP, and I've leaned so much already. Right now I'm also listening to the podcasts. Lots of good advise to soak up. Thanks again!
@Scott S. :

Hey Scott, thanks for the recommendations. I after it posted in went online and downloaded a few ebooks that were free through my amazon membership. I will also be looking into the ebooks offered here. I have heard a few ppl mention the effectiveness of the materials on BP, and I've leaned so much already. Right now I'm also listening to the podcasts. Lots of good advise to soak up. Thanks again!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.