albany ny

9 Replies

I am a newbie. I wanted to buy a multifamily house in Albany NY.I just need an advice where is the good area to invest in Albany? I saw so many multifamily for sale under $100 thousand in 12209, but not sure if it is a good catch. Rental is around $650 minimum.

hi Mary. 

I'm going to make up a word here but Albany is very "neighborhoody."  

By this I mean that even though we are a small city, there are clear lines as to the right places to invest. Sure you can find rental properties under 100k still but they most certainly will not be in a desirable area.  There are many strategies to investing in real estate, and I won't say any one is better than another, but I think you get what you pay for and no one wakes up in the morning wanting to be a slumlord.

@Mary june Martillo  

Welcome. Time to build the foundation below.

Check out the Start Here page http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

Check out BiggerPockets Ultimate Beginner's Guide - A fantastic free book that walks through many of the key topics of real estate investing.

Check out the free BiggerPockets Podcast - A weekly podcast with interviews and a ton of great advice. And you get the benefit of having over 70 past ones to catch up on.

Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses,The Book on Estimating ReHab Costshttp://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and all the cash buyers (rehabbers) you will need.

To find out about an area go to IREM.org search for ARM certified property managers. Call 5 ask them what sides of the city they like/dislike and why. Ask what they see them selling for and what expenses are by category. Ask if they know anything coming up for sale.

You might consider Niche or Specialized Housing like student housing. Rents can be 2-4 times more. Remember you don't have to own a property to control it.

Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

Good luck

Paul

Account Closed thank you so much for the info.

@Mary june Martillo I own properties in the vicinity and I agree with Shane about the different neighborhoods. In 12209 you want to be on Delaware Ave or preferably west of it. 12208 is the area around Albany Med/Law schools which has a lot of good neighborhoods but prices are higher and cap rates are low.

@ Ahmad Hijazi thanks. i will look at it.

There are lots of good areas for investing close by, which might offer lower taxes, better quality tenants and higher rents. Check out Watervliet, Troy, and Cahoes. 

Hi @Chris C.   what are the Rent to Value ratios in the Troy/Watervliet/Cahoes area? Curious how it compares to the Boston suburbs.

Albany has a variety of properties just like any other city.  You have your good neighborhoods and bad.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you