Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Trevor Lohman
  • Investor
  • Redlands, CA
Votes |
Am I becoming an agent just for fun? Pretty much!

Trevor Lohman
  • Investor
  • Redlands, CA
Posted Jun 19 2014, 20:53

Hey BP,

I just wanted to share what I've been up to, I thought that other newbies might find it interesting.

So, like a lot of indecisive people, my problem has been not having enough problems (1st world problem). I'm fascinated by real estate, but I have a good job and a pretty laid back life. Nothing has been kicking me in the butt to go out there and do what I know is the right thing to do in the long run... invest in real estate!

I am definitely an outsider looking in. I have no actual real estate experience, and am the dumbest guy in the room when it comes to this stuff. I know that's where everyone starts, but its tough for me. I'm a professor and starting over as a kindergardener in a new field is no fun. Truth is I should just get over it and make the plunge, but I know me. Unless I lose my job tomorrow (knock on wood) I just wont start borrowing time from work, and money from the wedding fund to get out there.

So while I wait and save up money, I decided to take the real estate agent courses. At first I thought it was going to be a waste of time and money. I was so wrong. I feel like I have learned so much and am getting the confidence I need to become an investor. I also feel like it will give me an easier way to dip my toes into real estate. I can start to help others buy and sell property, learn more about various contracts, deeds, taxation policies, and all of that other mumbo jumbo that terrifies us newbies.

Now I know this may horrify some people. It looks an awful lot like paralysis by analysis, and maybe it is. It's probably not the right path for most people, but if you're a bookworm like me, it might be worth a shot.

Anyway, hopefully one of these days I'll get around to pulling the trigger, till then, anyone need some offers written? (Kidding... still on the first course)

Trevor

Loading replies...