New to Real Estate. Seeking information.

3 Replies

I'm very new to Real Estate. I'm 21 and ready and willing to do the hard work it takes to learn the business. I reside in Southern California where Real Estate is pretty successful. So I figure this would be the perfect time to start. Being an entrepreneur is a dream of mine and a Real Estate is a part of that dream. Would you suggest going the college route or building relationships with already established investors? That seems to be what the majority is doing now. How is the Real Estate market currently in CA? If anyone can answer this hungry students questions illegal be so appreciative. Thank your, hope to speak to some of you! 

Hey Donald. My fiancé and I are new investors as well. Are you asking if you should forego college to pursue real estate? I have heard various opinions on when and how you should pursue real estate full time.  I have a full time job out and try to put in a couple of hours at night to real estate. I also try to devote at least four hours a day on the weekend. I know there are opportunities that I am missing out on because of my full time job.  I also know that my full time job provides a pretty decent income, so I am not stressed out about money.  Luckily, my fiancé has more time to devote to real estate than I do right now. My hops is to do well enough in real estate to be able to replace my income down the road.

Not sure if this helped any. lol.  You are definitely going to want to establish as many relationships as possible, but whether to skip college or not is probably a decision you're going to have to make on you own.  Feel free to contact me if you need.

@ Donald Green, why not do both? Work in real estate investing while going to school. If you pursue a business degree in entrepreneurship or private equity. You can use college to build a network, learn about investment models, pitching to investors, etc. If you have some real estate experience under your belt you can use what you learn in college to put together deals.

My son just graduated with his MBA and it was a life-directing experience for him.  The school you choose and the program you get into makes all the difference.  He has connected with significant investors, politicians, angel investors, venture capital leaders, and people who have and are excelling in their fields.  Several of his professors had net worths in excess of $10m.  The education he got was enhanced by the people that became his ongoing mentors and partners for his business ambitions. I, for one, would encourage you to find a good school and pursue a degree - you won't regret the accomplishment!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you