How much should be saved before buying first rental

2 Replies

How much money should be saved before buying your first rental?

After some thought I think my first unit is going to be a SFH. They seem much easier to manage. After I get in and learn the basics I will buy a multi as my next.

With that said SFH's in my area range from 129-170k. How much will I need to have in cash down to get into my first investment?

I know 20% is general. But is there any way around this aside from FHA Multi?

You can partner with another investor. If it's solid enough deal, another investor might be willing to go 50/50 so then you would only have to come up with half the money.

Otherwise you could live in the house for a year and then rent it out. Then you don't need as large of a down payment because you'll be owner occupant. I believe for FHA you have to live in it for a year but I don't know for certain. I'm sure others will chime in.

there a lot of ways around it- lots of special programs depending on the area, your background, etc.  I would be thinking about the amount saved in reserves something to consider more than the downpayment.  There are a lot of reasons to avoid putting a lot of cash down- put it all depends on your views and goals.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.