Tips for Newbies

8 Replies

I haven't posted one of these tips in a while, but here ya go.

Tip:  Keep a can of insect repellent with you in your car at all times.  I've walked into many vacant rentals and REOs that were flea infested.  Just spray the stuff on your feet and legs, and continue doing your work.  I hate the smell of the stuff, but it will wash out.

That is an excellent QUICK TIP!  I'd offer one along the same lines.  When viewing properties have a pair of jeans and boots available in your vehicle.  Since I normally wear shorts and sandals those are particularly useful for me.   The first time you step into some unknown substance you'll be grateful for the extra protection.  Remember feet are porous.  

I also keep a big heavy LED Maglight in my car.  Multi-use tool.

Boots, work &/or rubber. Stupid girlie-shoes are NOT a good idea for investigating basements, etc. I can always change & go back to looking cute - ^_^

I see lots of girls/women trying to look cute in boots - and it usually doesn't work well for them :-).

If you see a bum approaching you to ask you for a dollar, ask him for a dollar before he has a chance to ask.

Originally posted by @Seth Sherman:

If you see a bum approaching you to ask you for a dollar, ask him for a dollar before he has a chance to ask.

I like this one, lol! 

My tip:  I always stash a clipboard & copies of my repair estimate sheets in my trunk, so I never forget them.

I would also recommend keeping a small toolkit in your car - especially a tape measure and flashlight! 

This is so cool, as I was driving to work this morning, I was thinking about looking at a lead I just got. I was saying to myself that I need to wear some closed in shoes and the owner told me that there was a little mold problem, so I'm thinking to myself that I might a mask too. So thanks again for the suggestions that have been offered.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here