Getting buisness cards and forming an LLC

9 Replies

I feel as if im at the point I can't learn anymore about real estate untill I get out there myself and start doing deals. The only thing holding me back from marketing and talking to sellers is not having buisness cards to offer. Do you need an LLC in place before you get buisness cards? I dont want to start out doing things illegally and I sure would feel naked without business cards. My focus is rehabs and wholesaling

I agree with Michael. You are fine, I use Vista Print for my business cards. I would strongly discourage putting a company name on the business cards if it is not formed yet though. I've gotten tons of business cards over the years from investors without company names on them. In Florida, LLCs can be formed in less than 10 minutes online for less than $300.

@Michael Q. Great link to the business card templates.

@Christopher Tabb I am in a similar situation. I feel like I should have an LLC with a name so I can have business cards and look reputable. But if you just go with the generic templates Michael Q just shared you could wait on the LLC and official business name.

I'm wondering what others have done. In the beginning, do you just have generic business cards without a business name? Do you do a business card with a doing-business-as (DBA) name? Or do you get the LLC and business name setup and then get the business cards?

I'm sure the collective wisdom of the BP community will have some direction on this.

Mike

Medium oak tree real estate logo jpgMichael Wentzel, Oak Tree Real Estate, LLC | [email protected] | 719 338 2786 | http://www.oaktree-realestate.com

Christopher,

Some investors do not use a LLC. They do it in their name, nothing wrong with that. I simply use a Slogan on my card. And my name, title, contact info and what we do. If you would like a copy as a sample, get me your email address and I will send you a copy.

Happy Investing!

If I am doing business in a name other than my own (DBA = sole proprietor or partnership whereby the SOS will not take or receive filings other than fictitious name registrations) I would file a fictitious name registration. In Missouri, I must file the fictitious name registration if I "do or transact business" in a name other than my own. After filing, anyone who gets my card can go to the particular state's SOS website and verify that I am operating under a business name legitimately. In the alternative, if someone receives my card and goes to verify my business with the SOS then they will be surprised to find nothing filed.

Side note: I assume that filing a fictitious name registration costs about the same as Articles of Organization around the country. However, I would never do the latter without an operating agreement which I would not need to file with the SOS (at least in MO).

Best,

Tyler

@Michael Q. Thank you, much to choose from. Being this was my first post im surprised at how fast I got a response! Your replies make feel less discroraged. Business cards now llc later. 

@terry hershberger yes I would like a sample. Emailing you now

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you