Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Raven Parmer
  • Architect
  • Louisville, KY
Votes |
Does one-of-a-kind design have a place in flipping?

Raven Parmer
  • Architect
  • Louisville, KY
Posted Aug 3 2014, 18:24

I have a background in architecture and a real interest in design. My dream is to flip houses, but I want them to be unique and thoughtfully designed. I love the idea of making something better. I watch all the flipping shows, and they often have a set list of finishes they use, only varying the shade of granite every now and then when they're feeling frisky. As a designer, that kind of makes my stomach turn. 

So my question is, does one-of-a-kind design have a place in flipping houses? Is there money to be made if you spend a little time to design, and you use different products each time, or go out on a limb with a design element that makes a space special? I totally understand that you want a flip to be neutral so that it can appeal to more buyers. But the neutral finishes that I am seeing on the shows reminds me of the cookie cutter McMansions I see everywhere. I don't mean to criticize those who do this, as it is probably why you are successful and I am spending weeks to pick out the trim color on the exterior of my house.  (Sidebar: we are in no rush on our house, and I do realize that time is money in the biz.)

Am I being an idealist or naive? My gut tells me that a house that is unique and thought out will sell quickly. Am I missing something? Is this a business killer?

I worry that my downfall as a flipper will be my lack of a business mindset. I am working on changing that!

Loading replies...