Finding Probate Deals In St. Louis

2 Replies

Does anyone have recommendations for finding probate deals in St. Louis?  I contacted the Circuit Clerk and got NO response.  I recall a couple podcasts mentioning using newspapers, but has anyone had success using other sources?  What has worked best for you?

Frankie - I don't work the St. Louis market however I'm certain it's no different that any other market in America, although all real estate is truly local.

Here's the formula: people die leaving behind stuff that has value and their heirs or beneficiaries want to turn their stuff into spendable money. That much you already knew.

The job of the court clerks is to archive public files, but it's generally doesn't require them to compile lists for commercial use. That's your responsibility to either go to the courthouse, pull each probate file and capture the info you want, or hire someone to do it for you. In many places you can access limited case file data online, however this still may not provide sufficient property along with PR's and heirs' contact info.

There are now some commercial data providers that collect and resell the info. I've never used any of these services since I'm pretty dialed in from the legal side, however they might be a good way to generate cold leads. 

In any event, I would still suggest you dedicate 3-4 hours at the courthouse to familiarized with their filing system, how to pull documents and the overall facility layout.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.