Cold Calling Followup Strategies

10 Replies

Simple question, after using a simple introduction and finding out what their bottom line price is, what do you recommend saying when doing daily followups up on NODs, FSBOs, Rentals, etc.?

I am thinking something along the lines of: "I know yesterday/last week/last month when we spoke you said your rock bottom price was x, I am just following up to see if you can do a better price and help me out so that I can buy your property today?

I usually say something along the lines of " we spoke about a deal a week/month ago. I was wondering how you've progressed on the sale. I'm still interested in purchasing, please remember i'm offering cash and willing to work a deal immediately. No seller wants to hear that they are selling for their rock bottom price.

That's only something a buyer wants to hear, and 90% chance its usually not rock bottom price when they hear it

Originally posted by @Teal Lambert:

That's only something a buyer wants to hear, and 90% chance its usually not rock bottom price when they hear it

Thank you, do you think it is a good idea to call daily in some cases and, if so what would you say?

I wouldn't call daily. That runs some peoplle the wrong way and verges on seeming desperate 

Originally posted by @William Johnson:

Simple question, after using a simple introduction and finding out what their bottom line price is, what do you recommend saying when doing daily followups up on NODs, FSBOs, Rentals, etc.?

I am thinking something along the lines of: "I know yesterday/last week/last month when we spoke you said your rock bottom price was x, I am just following up to see if you can do a better price and help me out so that I can buy your property today?

I wouldn't start with the price. Follow up more along the lines of "I wanted to check in and see how things were going. Have you been able to sell your house yet by chance or are you still looking to sell it?" Let the conversation unfold naturally instead of immediately getting back into negotiating. 

People with no other sales skills talk price and focus on the price point. 

Successful sales people delve into the problems leading to the reasons for selling, after first making a connection and building rapport (trust and comfort). 

Never talk about deals unless your name is 'Bubba'. Discuss possible solutions. 

I suggest that you invest a significant amount of time, money and effort into studying sales and conversion skills. Your simple question will (hopefully) lead you to much bigger opportunities, if you take substantial action.

Originally posted by @Rick Harmon:

People with no other sales skills talk price and focus on the price point. 

Successful sales people delve into the problems leading to the reasons for selling, after first making a connection and building rapport (trust and comfort). 

Never talk about deals unless your name is 'Bubba'. Discuss possible solutions. 

I suggest that you invest a significant amount of time, money and effort into studying sales and conversion skills. Your simple question will (hopefully) lead you to much bigger opportunities, if you take substantial action.

Thank you very much Rick for your response, please recommend study material if you wouldn`t mind.

@William Johnson  WOW you have received some different answers. That has to be confusing...

To your original question. Maybe something like the following since you are calling daily...

Hi ____________ this is ____________ and I am calling to  follow up on buying your house. 

• Have you sold it? What has to happen before you do? 
  • Do you have any questions or concerns about my program? 
  • I wanted to give you one more opportunity before I spent your money buying someone elses house. 
  • How may I help today?  
  • Thank you for inviting me out to buy your home, If your situation changes please keep me in mind.
  • Out of curiosity do you know anyone else who may need sell fast and close on the day of their choice?
  • After considering my offer I was wondering what needs to change in order for you to sell your house to me?

Then let them talk... They will tell you why you failed for them or if they are getting closer. 

What you cant do is create reasonable motivation. 

And in reality warm leads get followed up just like cold leads... You send them another mail piece within 30 days. 

Originally posted by @Michael Q.:

@William Johnson  WOW you have received some different answers. That has to be confusing...

To your original question. Maybe something like the following since you are calling daily...

Hi ____________ this is ____________ and I am calling to  follow up on buying your house. 

• Have you sold it? What has to happen before you do? 
  • Do you have any questions or concerns about my program? 
  • I wanted to give you one more opportunity before I spent your money buying someone elses house. 
  • How may I help today?  
  • Thank you for inviting me out to buy your home, If your situation changes please keep me in mind.
  • Out of curiosity do you know anyone else who may need sell fast and close on the day of their choice?
  • After considering my offer I was wondering what needs to change in order for you to sell your house to me?

Then let them talk... They will tell you why you failed for them or if they are getting closer. 

What you cant do is create reasonable motivation. 

And in reality warm leads get followed up just like cold leads... You send them another mail piece within 30 days. 

@Michael Q Thank you for the response, do you recommend that I say the same thing to them every day that I call them?  For the time being my system is going to be almost all cold calling so I will not be sending any mail for the foreseeable future.  Do you still recommend:

Hot Leads – 3 days in a row, then put them back into their binders

Expired – daily until they list, sell or decide not to sell

NOD – daily until they list, sell or stop foreclosure

FSBO – daily until they list, sell or decide not to sell

For Rent – day 1 and day 5 then monthly

Thank you.

One things about Bigger Pockerts' Wizzy Wig is that the bullet points dont show all of the time. 

That was a list of different statements to use over time.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here