Best Real Estate Investing Book?

8 Replies

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and new to REI. I love the site and have found so much useful information. I am hoping to get some recommendations for your favorite book on investing. I purchased my first home in February of this year and am looking buy and hold properties in the future but I am interested in any good real estate reading.

Thanks

I have many favorites. "The Complete Guide to Buying and Selling Apartment Buildings" by Steve Berges is a great book. "The Book on Flipping Houses" by J. Scott is another one. For a beginner here on BP, I'd recommend reading both "The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing" and "Investing in Real Estate with no (and low) Money Down" by Brandon Turner.

Just use the search function- this has been covered before and that are lots of lists you can look over.

I'm also just getting started in REI so I suppose take my advice with a grain of salt. IMO wholesaling would be a good strategy for you to start with because it encompasses facets from all realms of real estate investing. From how to properly structure deals, conduct negotiations, running comps, and many other skills...wholesaling involves it all. A great book I read is "The Wholesaling Bible" by Than Merrill. Not only does it touch on wholesaling but it gives an awesome blueprint of treating investing as a business and not going from "deal to deal". I highly recommend checking it out. Also I found that Biggerpockets shines as a beacon of knowledge for experienced and novice investors alike. Find members who have a proven track record of success and read post by them. Best of luck to you.

Thanks for the feed back, Pete i found some other posts with good reading information in it. I decided to start with the BiggerPockets book as my first read but am looking forward to reading all of your suggestions.

@Ryan Charboneau 

In addition to books check out  individual blogs found in peoples signatures. Many of us including myself write about our niche. The only thing we all agree about is investing in Real Estate. Beyond that there are many different style and types of investing. My blog/website is about long distance self management, landlording, investing in class A investments, investing in a transient lifestyle, etc. So while this isn't a "book" per say they are still great guides that are free :)

Look forward to seeing you around!

For buy and hold I like The Millionaire Real Estate Investor by Gary Keller of Keller Williams Real Estate.

@Ryan Charboneau 

Welcome. Time to build the foundation below.

Check out the Start Here page http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

Check out BiggerPockets Ultimate Beginner's Guide - A fantastic free book that walks through many of the key topics of real estate investing.

Check out the free BiggerPockets Podcast - A weekly podcast with interviews and a ton of great advice. And you get the benefit of having over 90 past ones to catch up on.

Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses,The Book on Estimating ReHab Costshttp://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and all the cash buyers (rehabbers) you will need.

You might consider Niche or Specialized Housing like student housing. Rents can be 2-4 times more. Remember you don't have to own a property to control it.

Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

Good luck

Paul

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here