• Flipper/Rehabber
  • St. Louis, Mo
Votes |
This isn't easy...

Nicole Pettis
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • St. Louis, Mo
Posted Oct 30 2014, 20:26

Many say grit and persistence keeps us going. @Engelo Rumora  reminds us to be willing to keep going when you don't think you can keep going any longer. And I've learned that its about the relationships that you build within this industry that will help you along the way, whether their good or bad.

So with all that being said and following those "rules". I've worked diligently for the past year and a half building relationships. I started a real estate investment network group here, I've educated myself through Bigger Pockets, got the books:) Also I got involved in the blogs and forums. I took action last year and bought a foreclosure(our residence) with a 203k loan that I successfully project managed. And during all of that time I networked, networked and networked.

I've called successful flippers in my area to meet and mentor with, but many are so busy with their own business, they really don’t have time. And its difficult for me to work with them, because I have full time job and a toddler in tow. Although I do offer my web design/graphic design/branding skills as a barter. But still, many are so busy that they don't have time for that either. However in these past few months, through someone I trust, I found an investor and then another through my group. I was like FINALLY, all of my hard work has paid off!!! Yay! I’m finally going to be doing what I want to do and living my dream!!! So exciting right!!!

Nope.

The investor that I met through the group, turns out he is a hack. Trying to get me to go into listings, take photos and get numbers to have him turn around and upload to his site and try to "resale/wholesale" illegally. Then the other, I bring him properties and numbers to have him say yes! Lets make an offer, to a few days later saying he changed his mind, there was something about the property he didn’t like. Which in the end wastes my time and my agents.

So here I am frustrated. Very frustrated and not to mention discouraged.

Don’t get me wrong, not looking for a pity party here. Nor did I think this was going to be a walk in the park. I just didn’t expect it to be THIS difficult.

The point to all of this is I just want to share my story with the beginners, newbies, rookies or whatever we are called that are trying to find a mentor, an investor or even a partner. Truth is, it’s very difficult. It isn’t as easy as going “I am looking for a mentor” and listing your skills. Because trust me you aren’t the first one and you won’t be the last. Same with private investors. What can you do to stand out in the crowd, what can you bring to the table. What is going to make you different than the last guy? Passion? We all have that. Dreams...yup got those to. Want to be rich? Money isn’t everything.

And then trying to find a partner who has the same goals, dreams, motivation and strategy as you...that is probably the most difficult. And that is where my difficulty lies. The houses I want to invest in aren’t the houses they want to invest in. My sense of urgency isn’t the same as there’s, because they have other houses they are investing in. They really don’t NEED mine, but I need mine and that’s where we hit the bump in the road.

So what to do now. There are days I want to quit and just keep doing what I was doing. But then I go into work and realize I don’t want to sit at this desk any longer, this is not where I belong. Then I listen to the amazing podcasts and read the great success stories on here and I remind myself, these people didn’t do overnight. Heck it didn’t happen in the first year. It took them a years to build it and they are still working at it everyday.

Then I ask myself what qualities did they have that helped them succeed? Well obviously they took action. They had grit, persistence, passion, resourcefulness and patience. I think patience is the hardest, because we all want it now, but in reality, it takes time. Time to build those relationships, time to figure out what you want to do and time to find the right properties. And trust me it sucks...big time. But in the end it will pay off, just have to stay focused and be persistent and say “how can I” do this and then do it.

Loading replies...