• Baltimore, MD
Votes |
Quantity vs Quality Rentals

Alexander Merritt
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
Posted Nov 6 2014, 19:20

Hello BP!

When first starting out using a Buy and Hold strategy and with limited capital, do you think it's better to purchase a bunch of lower priced properties in lower quality / depressed areas or spend a little bit more but have less quantity or rentals (but presumably higher quality tenants) for properties in an area that is well known for being a "good" area?

When I say "quality" i mean the quality of the neighborhood, and not necessarily the property.

For example I am looking at a property that is being short listed for 20k fully renovated (zillow estimate is 35k) but it's in a depressed area with a few rowhouses boarded up around it, but there is an existing tenant there and the rent, cap rate, and cash flow look excellent on paper. As opposed to another property in the 60-80k range that's not as nice rehab wise but is in a much better area that is known to have medical job types that would still have decent cash flow. Buying cheaper means more properties but probably the possibility of less desirable tenants in that area. 

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Loading replies...