Buying Condos/Apartments with HOA?

1 Reply

I know a lot of you guys are against buying anything with an HOA due to it interfering with cash flow however…In Myrtle Beach SC you can get a nice Condo/Apartment for about 35-50k…My question is, if you pay cash for one and only have to pay the HOA fees and it stays rented all the time wouldn't this be a good investment?

I am thinking if I can get rid of the mortgage by paying cash and only have an HOA every month, keep it rented I would be good. If you have a mortgage and HOA fees then I can see the problem.

Thoughts...

Hey @Chance Cooper  

I would say do the numbers and let the numbers lead the way. Plug in the projected rents minus all the expenses (including HOA) into your own spreadsheet or the BP Rental Property Calculator and if the return is what you are shooting for I would say go for it.  I know in my area the HOA usually eats into a good portion of the cashflow and although there might be a few expenses (roof, exterior, landscaping) which are taken care of by the HOA it does not offset the monthly expense.  

Outside the simple numbers try to get your hands on a copy of the bylaws for the HOA prior to signing any deal. This is the other main objection most people have which is the loss of control over your asset. In some cases the HOA can put restrictions on your ability to use the condo as a rental. Also if you could get a 10 year history on the HOA fees you will see if they have held flat or increased over the past decade. Pushing even further if you are serious about the condo try to get the financials for the HOA. How much do they have in reserves, what have the expenses been, does the Condo community have deferred maintenance that could result in a HOA hike in the coming years.

In any case do the homework and you will increase your likelihood of success in this and future investments.

Best of Luck

Scott Dixon

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you