Preparing to buy my first property. Where to start?

5 Replies

Ok, so this is my situation:

I've got $2,000 in my savings account. I plan on saving $200 a month until November, which is 8 months from now. By then I will have another $1,600 and total I'll have $3,600 for my downpayment on an $80,000-$100,000 home. (Considering it would be 3-3.5% down) 

I plan on going through a first time home buyers program.

( also, note that in November, my lease will be up on my current residence in which I am renting. I want to move into my first property directly from the one I stay in now.)

My question is, when should I start searching for a home? And getting preapproved and all that?  I don't want to waste nobody's time by starting the process and have it be too early for whatever reason, but I know that I'll have my 3.5% by November. 

I have an agent I spoke to not that long ago, but I didn't want to start the process with her or any lenders until I had my downpayment together. What do you guys think? Should I start talking to my agent now? Should I get pre approved first? Should I save more? Or should I wait until 2-3 months before November, or what? Any advice would help. Thanks in advance.

When you are 2-3 months out contact a lender & get pre approved. After you know your budget start looking at houses with the agent.

@Jonathan Perez I do not know if closing costs and additional fees may be out of pocket with that program, but some banks require you to have a few months of reserves as well as your down payment. What do you think @James Wise? 

@Rich Cee  I was hoping to go through a program that covered closing costs and all that. But if not, that'd probably be another what, 2-3 thousand? 

@Jonathan Perez I spoke with my broker a while ago and she suggested 6 months of whatever the mortgage payment may be and if a condo then add 6 months of the HOA fees. The banks like to see a safety net of sorts so get an idea of what your mortgage may be like and times it by 6. Take to a broker here on BP or call one near you to discuss the details. Good luck!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here