Vinyl plank flooring Vs Carpet?

14 Replies

In the process to acquiring a 3-4 unit property, My business partner and I are wondering is it smart to add vinyl plank flooring to living room/bed room  combo or  just Vinyl in living room and carpet in bedroom?.

The reason we ask is because we want long term benefit and durability of the product? from animals to tenants.  Also Would this be base on comps of like properties in the area, if not will it increase property value besides the usual kitchen and bathroom?. 

@Abou C.  

I would just do the vinyl in the main living areas and keep carpet in the bedrooms. If you were doing hardwood I would do it throughout, because that will bring much value.

I did a lot of research on luxury vinyl tile and it really doesn't increase property value. But I would also check out your market to see what they are using. 

Question, do you like changing the flooring between each tenant?  If so put carpet in.  If not use vinyl plank, it's fairly indestructible. I buy the Trafficmaster Allure from Home Depot and it's $1.89/ft.   It costs a bit more but over time it saves you money.  I use vinyl plank in all of my properties with wood subfloors and tile in almost all of those on a slab (some higher end ones I do a nice laminate in the bedrooms).  I don't use carpet anywhere. The problem with laminate is it's very vulnerable to moisture and easily ruined by a careless tenant.  Carpet is just a rag that sucks up anything that you get near it.  The vinyl plank I use is rated for bathrooms so I don't have that issue. 

Originally posted by @Patrick L. :

Question, do you like changing the flooring between each tenant?  If so put carpet in.  If not use vinyl plank, it's fairly indestructible. I buy the Trafficmaster Allure from Home Depot and it's $1.89/ft.   It costs a bit more but over time it saves you money.  I use vinyl plank in all of my properties with wood subfloors and tile in almost all of those on a slab (some higher end ones I do a nice laminate in the bedrooms).  I don't use carpet anywhere. The problem with laminate is it's very vulnerable to moisture and easily ruined by a careless tenant.  Carpet is just a rag that sucks up anything that you get near it.  The vinyl plank I use is rated for bathrooms so I don't have that issue. 

I've been doing ceramic tile for kitchens and bathrooms, and hardwood for all other rooms if it has it, otherwise vinyl plank.  I was able to get the Menards version for $1.49/ft recently on a project where I had to do a living room, dining room, two hallways, two bedrooms, and a den/office.

I really want to stay away from carpet.

I just redid my whole sfr approx 1800 sqft with vinyl plank wood flooring. Had a 25 yr commercial grade warranty on it. The prior tenant stole/removed all the carpet from the house. I will not be putting carpet in any rental from now on.  The vinyl looks great and nicer than some laminate I've seen. If the tenant wants carpet in their bedroom or living room they can go buy an area rug.  I shouldn't have to mess with the floors in this house for over a decade.  Cost $7k

Remember:  Tenants can always throw a rug over the vinyl plank, but probably not plank over the carpet. 

Carpet is merely a giant lint brush fastened to your floor.

In 2004 we built a 4600 sq. ft. house. Our son was a teen, and he and his friends used to practice freestyle motocross riding on our property. I knew there would be times when they'd come in and forget to take off their motorcycle boots. I designed the house to live in, and didn't want to be worrying about scratches, etc. After talking with the Shaw flooring rep for northern California he advised me to use vinyl strips. I did, and they're still in perfect condition! I used carpet in the living room, great room, dining, and all the bedrooms, but for the halls, kitchen, etc. I used vinyl. In the bathrooms, tile and stone. 

Originally posted by @Roy N. :

Remember:  Tenants can always throw a rug over the vinyl plank, but probably not plank over the carpet. 

Carpet is merely a giant lint brush fastened to your floor.

Note taken.

@James Vega   ha. That is crazy, that is why I rather spend a little more on vinyl flooring. Put durable reasonably appliances with energy efficacy and low flow water products. 

I was just thinking of going with the vinyl planks myself I am going with them for sure now.  You guys made some good points.

yeah awesome!  Crazy cat lady had been a tenant for over 6 years. I am an out of state owner due to the Navy moving us around.  Our property manager was horrible so I fired them and thought we could manage it ourselves since she was such a "great" tenant.  As soon as we took over she reduced the amount she was paying by 10% because she thought she was acting as the property manager now.  

We initially were very polite and said that would not work and wrote her emails explaining as such. She continued paying her reduced amount and then started making offers on the house to buy it as is. Her offers were rediculous the and we had no intention of selling.  After several months we continued to press for the back rent.  We should have  initiated eviction proceedings  on her the first month,  but with no property manager and no contacts  the city we were stuck.  We tried to get a property manager but none would touch  with the situation we were in, saying that we  too get her  and  then they would help.  She stopped paying in March. She finally moved out in August... 

$15k of rehab later we  have lots  lessons learned. I took 2 weeks off of work  put 20 hrs a day working on the rehab. Neighbors said she took the carpet out 2 years prior. 

Good Times

Originally posted by @James Vega :

$15k of rehab later we  have lots  lessons learned. I took 2 weeks off of work  put 20 hrs a day working on the rehab. Neighbors said she took the carpet out 2 years prior. 

Good Times

Wow that is crazy ...

Luckily we were able to make a claim on our fire policy insurance for both the floors and the lost rent while we made the repairs. It helped somewhat to offset the costs. 

It's been rented now for over a year back up at $1100/month

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here