what is the best way to approach a RE attorney for the first time?

6 Replies

hey BP community, 

i'm in the process of building my first RE investing team. i've identifed a strong local attorney (http://www.thehartlawgroup.com/maryhart.htm) who also happens to be an active RE investor. 

i'd like to know the most efficient / least time-wasting way to approach her. my goal is to have her eventually draft lease option agreements, purchase contracts, memorandums of agreement, etc.

how do i help her help me and not waste any time? 

another way of asking this (especially for all you attorneys out there): what do you like to hear when a real estate investor client contacts you?

dm

thx brian, will do!!

The best way to show an attorney that you respect their time is to pay for it in advance.

You'll be surprised at the amount of stuff you can do on your own. I once hired attorneys and payed good money after later finding out that I could have done it myself. The only time I would use one now is for extreme legal or complicated RE matters. Writing contracts, lease option agreements, trust docs, and even notes can all be done on your own!

Do your homework to find the attorney you want to use. It sounds like you have found one.  When you already know they will do a good job for you, introduce yourself by bringing them your first deal.  If you don't know which one would be great, ask someone, who is doing what you want to be doing, whom they use.  Saves you and attorneys a lot of wasted time interviewing prospects.

thx for all the perspective y'all. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.