how to estimate repairs effectively

3 Replies

Estimating repairs is a difficult thing I've been doing research on it but there is no exact science. does anyone have any quick idea on how to estimate repairs.

my assumptions are

basic bathroom 4500 to 6000

kitchen 5000 to 7000

Roof 4500 to 7000

electrical upgrade  3500 to 5000

Hvac 4500 to 6000

Windows 200 to 350 a piece

re-doing entire plumbing  3500 to 5000

Please if you have an better idea people rein in on this, i am new and these are just assumptions. 

It can all vary a lot depending on who you hire and how cheap you go on the materials.  I can tell you that I do not typically spend that much on new plumbing, electrical, kitchens or bathrooms.  

I will typically hire someone who is very skilled and honest at a daily rate of 140 or more a day and it all usually ends up being a lot less (if they are truly skilled and honest).  

I also work most weekends doing repairs myself so that I can better understand the process and costs.

I've always found www.homewyse.com to be a great place to get local cost estimates when I'm bidding on projects. I hope this helps!

Check out this Project Repair Estimate Form that's in the BP FilePlace. It may help you out:

http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/JoshuaDow/file/project-repair-estimate-form

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here